power steering pump specs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

power steering pump specs?

Not strictly box related, but its the same type of pump. Does anyone have a chart of the various Ford power steering pumps and their flow and pressure specs? Even better would be a chart that has applications for those pumps. Trying to figure out what is on the Continental and see if the standard replacement listed is suitable. The manuals don't tell me what pump goes with the diesel engine unfortunately.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

IIRC most C2 pumps are around 1450 to 1550 psi pressure and 1.5-ish GPM flow. Old Pirate data swimming up from the depths of my my lousy memory, so take with a grain of salt... or with the entire salt shaker.

Rack vs. steering box application, IIRC the rack is supposed to need higher pressure and/or flow but I've used the regulator parts out of a rack-specific pump into a box-specific pump and found little noticeable difference.
    Last edited by His Royal Ghostliness; 03-18-2018, 12:45 AM.
    The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
    The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

The problem I'm having is that I sometimes loose all assist on the Continental at idle. My worry is that if I'm losing steering boost I'm losing brake boost with it. Not sure if its the wrong pump or if this one is just worn out. When its boosting it seems to have plenty of it, but sometimes it just stops, usually when trying to park, which of course is when you want it.

and engine idle is in spec, on the high side actually. Should be 750 +/- 50 and mine is at 798.
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        The problem I'm having is that I sometimes loose all assist on the Continental at idle. My worry is that if I'm losing steering boost I'm losing brake boost with it. Not sure if its the wrong pump or if this one is just worn out. When its boosting it seems to have plenty of it, but sometimes it just stops, usually when trying to park, which of course is when you want it.

and engine idle is in spec, on the high side actually. Should be 750 +/- 50 and mine is at 798.
        When you lose power steering, does it happen when turning the wheel to one side only, or in both directions? Also do you actually lose brake assist as well (press the pedal 3 times to drain the pressure accumulator from anything it must have stored)?

One-sided power steering loss is box/rack issue, if no assist in either direction pump is likely culprit. If no assist and no brake boost pump is definitely the issue.

Hydroboosts typically work on anything between 1300 and 1800 psi. The higher number comes into play when daisy-chained into full hydro steering with a dual-end ram, since that steering setup needs fat shafts so the linkage doesn't bend or bow and said fat shafts make for way small piston surface so that gets offset by higher pressure. For reliable daily use IIRC 1450-1550 psi is what you want the pump to max out at, which is what just about any C2 pump does from the factory.

Something else to consider, with some older GM trucks people complained how they sometimes lose steering assist when operating the brakes, that's a hydroboost issue that got engineered out eventually, but maybe after your Conti was made?
        The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.

Comment

Seems to happen both directions but I've not paid a lot of attention to it. I also haven't pumped the brake to see if it drops out but I'll try that next time it happens. Seems to happen more in reverse, though I don't see what that would have to do with anything. Also seems worse when warmed up, so thinner fluid but I have had slight hitches in the wheel when backing out of my garage cold. Turning the wheel fast seems to be when it happens, moving it slow isn't a problem.

I did drain and refill with Type F like it specifies. It wasn't too nasty to begin with but I figured some fresh wouldn't hurt any. Fluid is in pretty good shape, not quite as pristine as straight from the bottle but you can only get so much out. The rack feels very good, and above idle speed I've not had any indications of problems. Giving it some throttle will bring the steering assist back. The pump also doesn't sound loud and shitty like Ford pump often does.

Comment

I may have actually found the problem. Went to test it, and found that I lost assist in both directions when turning the wheel fast. I also lost brake assist, and when my foot was on the brake I lost steering assist too. I also got a chirp from the belt. Tension was OK, but wiping the open part of the pulley with a paper towel came away with some oily residue. Long story short, after washing the pulley with brakleen and wire brushing it, the problem seems to be resolved. Only thing I can figure is the belt was sliding on oil and not making noise or pressure when loaded.

Comment

Is that a V-belt setup? Mine will also chirp if I turn the wheels lock to lock at low idle (same engine speed as yours, if I bump the speed up to 900-1000 RPMs tho (my high idle setting) it steers much nicer. Nature of the beast, I actually went down a bit in pulley size to get a bit more steering assist at low idle (used a GM pulley and re-offset it by ways of shop press and Dana 80 carrier bearing race, lol). IIRC I do have a dual-groove pulley on a C2 pump tho, and a few extra Saginaw pumps with mounting brackets, so I'm thinking the next logical step would be to try the C2 pulley on the Sagi and see how that works. If the fit is decent enough I'll probably go that way, gonna have to slide my air compressor about an inch forward to use the auxiliary belt drive off the crank and free up the grooves it's using now, this should be fun...

Comment

Serp belt on the PS/AC side, itty-bitty V on the alternator/water pump. The V belt has problems staying tight too, not enough belt wrap and not enough belt.

Comment

specs from the 1989 spec book for the CII pump;
                  lets see if this works out.spots with no entry is the same as the above entry.

Code:
                               min flow              | min relief  | max relief | pump model |Max free flow @1500 rpm
                               liters/min  gal/min    pressure     pressure                        L/min     gal/mon
                  -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  cvgm         5.7        1.5         1200psi      1380          HBC-FV        11.4         3.0
                  cv police                                                      HBC-FU        12.9         3.4 
                  Town Car 
                  Mark VII     6.1        1.6                       1480          HBC-JG       9.8         2.6
                  MustangV8    5.3        1.4           950         1230          HBC-JD                             
                  MustangI4    4.9        1.3           850         1130         HBC-GW -HX
                  [no, no it does not format correctly...]
                  Last edited by GM_Guy; 03-20-2018, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Maybe the thing to do is poll the collective and assemble what specs we can from our various manuals. I can knock together a Google spreadsheet if anyone feels like digging out their books. I've got 84 car, 86 Panther and 91 Mark VII manuals

Comment

1988 Panther

Others for reference:
                      1994 Mustang

1995 Ranger/Aerostar/explorer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Knocked together a sheet between the two manuals I had close at hand and what is posted above. Its writable so if anyone feels motivated to add data, be my guest.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Comment

Just curious, what's the PS pump mount look like on this thing? Could you put a Saginaw pump on it like you can on just about any 302? (be it with factory Econoline parts or aftermarket from Wild Horses and the likes)

Comment

Its the same CII pump every 302 uses, so basically as long as it bolts up to the bracket like a stock one it should swap. The bracket is specific to this motor, but its not excessively weird or anything. The only thing slightly odd about the pump is it has the fill neck return and the bottom reservoir return.

Most of the accessories on this are just 80s Ford crap. The water pump and fan is the exception. AC compressor is the same thing my Towncar takes, alternator is the same one the Mark VII takes, PS is the one everything takes.

Comment

So then the Wild Horses bracket will work, you just add a reservoir to the Saginaw to your liking/needs. Applies to the Mk7 too, if you ever felt the need to do away with the C2 pump (namely the crap versions of it we get from the parts store)...

Comment

Working...
                              X