No announcement yet.

The Crown Shit. The never ending story.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it's gone about 9 miles today, drives good and all.

funny, I keep getting scared because of all the white smoke but I keep remembering about the seafoam in the tank. It's also loud. really loud. But that's fine, I'm not worried about it for now.
    Ray

1997 Crown Victoria LX "Crown Shit"/"Crown Marquis" SENT TOI SCRAP
    1986 Ford Mustang Notchback

Comment

just keep an eye on the coolant expansion tank levels. After a few trips (full heat and cool cycles) you should see its normal high level and its normal low level. Coolant loss after it has stabilized would be a concern.
      03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
      02 SL500 Silver Arrow
      08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
      12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

ok so every other time i go to start the car the CEL flashes. Other times it's just a solid light, I definitely notice a little bit of a difference when it's flashing too. Probably going to take it to O'reillys or autozone and figure out what's missing later.

I do know that a cylinder is missing when it's flashing, did a little research this time lol.

And my half-assed speedo fix went out on me this morning. Nice.

Coolant overflow is low too, not surprised. It sat for awhile and I never really paid attention to that until the first time I took it for a test run, don't think it's gone down since then so I'm not complaining yet.
        Ray

Comment

Originally posted by frankenstang View Post
          it's gone about 9 miles today, drives good and all.

funny, I keep getting scared because of all the white smoke but I keep remembering about the seafoam in the tank. It's also loud. really loud. But that's fine, I'm not worried about it for now.
          I've never known sea foam to create white smoke by running it in the gas tank. Please, do not put that shit down the vacuum line for the brake booster or any of that other nonsense. It does not clean like advertised and the smoke you're seeing is simply the byproduct of that shit getting burned in the combustion chamber. BG44K is what I run once a year in my Town Car and it does make a difference.
          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
            I've never known sea foam to create white smoke by running it in the gas tank. Please, do not put that shit down the vacuum line for the brake booster or any of that other nonsense. It does not clean like advertised and the smoke you're seeing is simply the byproduct of that shit getting burned in the combustion chamber. BG44K is what I run once a year in my Town Car and it does make a difference.
            that's what i was trying to say, that the sea foam is doing its thing. I'm also not completely positive but i might've heard it backfire. My mustang does the same thing when i let off around 2000 rpm not all too concerned about that, the CEL seems to flash every OTHER time i take it for a drive from what i'm seeing. I've been running it to temp each and every time i drive it despite how short they may be. gonna replace plugs and wires this weekend... it's in desperate need of a tuneup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Ray

Comment

took to autozone, misfire started halfway through my trip. they got the O2 sensors but couldn't read the misfire code. proceeded to take it to O'reillys. they got the misfire code. cylinder 5 and 7. is that common with these? i've seen both of these get brought up a couple times. reasoning?

also topped off my overflow, i was half a gallon low. not surprised by that, the car sat for god knows how long. i'll see if i'm low again when the car has cooled down.

Ray

Comment

This thread is going to turn into a journal of sorts. I'll keep it updated every other day or something for the first week or two of driving/issues, probably will slow down a bit after this intermittent misfire clears up. Probably will re-bleed my brakes this weekend, or I'll wait until I can comfortably drive to the shop.
                Ray

Comment

Misfires are usually plugs or wires in these. Not sure what shape yours are in, but if you've got misfire codes thats where I would start looking. Oil or coolant down in the plug hole will make it do this too.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

yup. keep an eye on the cold coolant fill level. it should be stable now.
                    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Does 97 have coil on plug or coil packs? If packs, see if 5 and 7 are on the same coil and make sure the spark wire is secure and pushed ALL the way down on the plug. They like to pop up and barely make contact when they get old.

If coil on plug, check the wire harness. The clips that hold the damn things on like to break and allow the harness to back off the coil.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

just checked my coolant level, i was about an eighth of a gallon low. could be what's causing the misfire i'm guessing.

Ray

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                          Does 97 have coil on plug or coil packs? If packs, see if 5 and 7 are on the same coil and make sure the spark wire is secure and pushed ALL the way down on the plug. They like to pop up and barely make contact when they get old.

If coil on plug, check the wire harness. The clips that hold the damn things on like to break and allow the harness to back off the coil.
                          they have the packs, checked them and they were a little loose on the pack. took em off and pushed them back down all the way.

my idle is also bouncing around in park, i don't have a tach but i'm assuming it's bouncing around 700-1150? O2 sensor related again? That's all that comes to mind as i'm sitting in the parking lot to make sure that misfire doesn't show up again.

Ray

Comment

and 5 and 7 were on different packs

Ray

Comment

What you want to see on the coolant level is stability. particularly at the cold level. Whatever you have in there now just monitor the cold level to see that it does not keep going down. Car needs to be dead cool. morning is best to give it a quick eyeball.
                              02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

The idle yo-yo-ing it typically the MAF sensor being disconnected or completely buggered.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                                Originally posted by gadget73
                                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                                Originally posted by dmccaig
                                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                                X