No announcement yet.

1997 Mercury Grand Marquis LS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a thought. Maybe you could find a couple of flag blue panels for this car? It would match the front plate!

These cars do make for a nice drive.

Jay
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

I love the Town Car for long trips. Its been on a few. Even with it in its current sad shape, I wouldn't hesitate to take it somewhere. My '98 is also good but GMQ seats just aren't as nice, except my '96 which had as-new seats because my Great-Aunt who bought that one new must have weighed all of 80lbs so she did nothing to them in her 73k miles of ownership. Upper trim Town Car seats (like my '97 Cartier) are like sitting on a nice leather glove that you sink into but is still supportive. That is why I would like to find '98-'02 Town Car seats with the center console/jump seat thing for storage.
      -Steve

2006 Audi A6 S-Line FWD ~132k miles, stock.
      1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~102k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
      1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust, Cats ran away, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front sway bar, air ride reinstalled, Blinker Mod, Projector headlight retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel, rustbelt diet plan..
      1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12

Comment

It’s one color again.

Wallet ain’t happy though.

My Cars:
        -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
        -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
        -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
        -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Figured I should post up some "detail" shots from the garage just to show the color match. Obviously more can be seen during the day. When I picked it up, it was still in the building in a well lit bay, so I was able to do a very thorough look over. One thing I didn't catch before I left was a harness left disconnected. I went to make a right turn and got hyper flashing. I quickly found out nothing was illuminating on that side other than the headlight.

Luckily it's just a little harness right behind the corner light. Someone probably just got sidetracked and it took all of five minutes to pop out the corner light, so NBD.

FWIW, they did respray the inside of the fender along with doing the outside. It's a small touch that I really liked seeing.

Something to note is that this fender did come off of a 1993 Grand Marquis. 1992-1994 Aeros have fender mounted antennas, while '95-'97 (and essentially all the other years except '05s with their rear quarter panel ones) are in the glass. In my case, this left a hole, but surprisingly Ford did offer a antenna delete cap, most likely aimed at fleet Crown Victorias with a radio delete.

Ford P/N F2AZ-18919-C. They're still out there if anyone ever needs one. I can't say I've ever seen a Panther with this delete cap, so I was surprised when I did find one had been offered.

They blended the door and fender together and re-pinstriped that area. It's rather hard to tell where the blend starts and ends.

They did not blend the hood, but I'd say they did a really good job with the color match to the rest of the body given age and fade. Under the right light angle I can tell where the fender has a slight difference than the hood, but for the most part many people won't catch it and quite frankly it doesn't bother me since it's damn close.

I'll try and get day light pictures later on. I'm just happy to have my car back since they've had it since last week and they were closed Christmas.

My Cars:
          -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
          -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

The Merc is looking nice. Good thing you could find the antenna plug.

Comment

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Tossed in a fresh set of NGK spark plugs, then drove down to the salvage yard.

Got bumped along the way:

Really nothing too bad, but of course I said some inappropriate stuff inside the car right after it happened. The bumper did exactly what it was supposed to, and definitely surpassed its 5 MPH rating. I let off the brakes right and tried to get moving into the center turn lane before it happened so that helped a bit. I'd estimate speed around 10-15 MPH.

When I saw how minor it was, I wasn't too worried about it. The other driver and I swapped info and got back to our days. I've got no hard feelings against them. Shit happens and this was really minor.

I broke out the rubbing compound, polish, and wax and cleaned the area.

The cover already had scratches from luggage and such having brushed up on it, so I'm not really concerned. It looks fine unless you're right up on it. No sense in filing a claim on that.

My Cars:

Comment

Could have been worse. Good end result. I have to ask why did they run into you?
                  ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                  My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                  My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                  But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                    Could have been worse. Good end result. I have to ask why did they run into you?
                    Traffic was slowing down for a red light and stopped somewhat quick, so I was a bit harder on the brakes myself and came to semi-normal stopping distance (I felt I was a touch close) behind a Focus. The Hyundai had a gap, but like me, probably didn't expect to stop as quick, and the distance closed relatively quick. I looked back and saw it coming (they were hard on the brakes), so I let off the brakes, started cutting the wheel towards the turn lane, got on the gas and took the bump. If I didn't let off the brakes and turn into the lane, I would have been pushed into the Focus. If I stood on the brakes, I think the damage would have been worse. There was a truck behind the Hyundai that dove into the turn lane to avoid striking the Hyundai when I got bumped, so I figure this was the better of the options. I really need to get a rear facing dash cam. I've got a forwards facing one, but obviously all you have there is audio.

The car did two funny things after that. 1.) The wipers just came on. Didn't hit the MFS, they just went straight to Low. I had to turn them "on" by the switch, then back off. 2.) The bulb for the left signal indicator on the dash stopped working until I was almost home, then started working again like nothing happened.

My Cars:

Comment

Glad that you were not hurt and the car was not really hurt.

Comment

Definitely sounds like you saved yourself by paying attention to what was going on behind you.
                        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                          Definitely sounds like you saved yourself by paying attention to what was going on behind you.
                          This. Congrats on being aware and reacting to the situation. My butthole typically puckers when I'm in traffic that suddenly comes to a stop as I look in the rear view mirror, prepared to try and veer off.
                          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Finally installed a receiver. Been meaning to do this for a while.

Install wasn't that bad. The slowest portion was drilling the 1/2" holes for the bolts closest to the bumper. I used the jack to hold the front portion against the frame after bolting the rear up so I could easily drill the holes. Then I let it down some and loosened the back a touch for final adjustment and to make it easier to get the front bolts aligned. The only tools I needed was a drill with a 1/2" bit and a 3/4" wrench.

Apparently Town Cars have it rough; the instructions were showing to remove the factory hangers and to use a separate kit for the rear exhaust hangers that attach to the receiver itself. No such issue on CV/GMQs, though.

I'll be picking up a transmission cooler and a flat 4 brake light plug-n-play harness soon. Hopefully I'll get started on installing my air ride swap once I get done with this semester. That'll give me more time to work on that project since it'll be an involved process.

My Cars:

Comment

Shoulda got a Curt hitch, made in America. Not sure about Reese, probably Meh-Hee-Ko.
                              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Replaced the worn tires today. Got some Kumho Solus TA11 225/70R15 tires. Plenty of grip and they do not feel like they have as much sidewall flexing like the Firestones did. I went with these because they had very good reviews on TireRack so I figured they were worth a shot. The white wall may be gone, but the extra benefits of a wider tire with better compound is worth the trade off.

Plenty of tread:

Back on the base model look:

I also got the shop to take the one good Firestone (about 60% tread) and have it mounted for the wagon’s spare. The wagon had a 23 year old Michelin that looked okay, but would not be trusted outside of maybe just letting the car sit on it.

All in all I now have a nice new set of matching tires, a new spare for the ‘97, and a good spare for the ‘87.

My Cars:

Comment

Working...
                                X