Proof emissions testing is a SCAM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proof emissions testing is a SCAM

The CP runs clean enough to pass at the Rapid Test specs, BUT because the smog pump is bypassed, they FAILED it for missing Air Injection Components.

READINGS / LIMITS
    HC 1.1751 / 2.0
    CO 12.2570 / 20.0
    CO2 354.1564 / ------
    NOX 1.6724 / 4.0

Cat Conv. PASS
    Air Inj. FAIL
    O2 sensor PASS
    CEL PASS

These nitwits spent a solid 5 minutes under the hood & with the mirror looking for the catalytic converters!'s My smog pump is siezed, so it's off to the junkyard to try & find a working one. I'll have to replace at least 2 the airpipes along with the misc. bullshit that goes with it. I'M PISSED!!! Anyone have a working pump they might want to part with if I can't find a good one? It's for a '88 5.0. Oh yeah, this is in Jefferson County, Colorado. (Denver area)

Originally posted by sleke View Post
    These nitwits spent a solid 5 minutes under the hood & with the mirror looking for the catalytic converters!'s My smog pump is siezed, so it's off to the junkyard to try & find a working one. I'll have to replace at least 2 the airpipes along with the misc. bullshit that goes with it. I'M PISSED!!! Anyone have a working pump they might want to part with if I can't find a good one? It's for a '88 5.0. Oh yeah, this is in Jefferson County, Colorado. (Denver area)
    Move.

Comment

Junkyard is the best bet, those things new are like 100 bucks too much :lol:

Comment

That sucks, they aren't even worth the time to replace them. I like NH because we don't need them till 93. I would smack em around a bit.
        "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
        1985 GMC 1500

Comment

I should still have one somewhere. Remind me to have a look, there's been lots going on here and I tend to forget that sort of thing.

I can't believe they were picky enough to fail you for not having a damn smog pump. Used to be, in NW Indiana, the required visual inspection was just for presence of converters - and there are reports of cars passing the sniffer just fine without functional cats, either. And even though they're one of the pickiest smog locations I know of, evidently they'll still run a test on a car even if there's no EGR or anything (though if you ask beforehand, they'll insist that everything has to be just like factory, blada, blada). The Gary area is also run by money-grubbing Democrats who like making it impossible to live normally and not get fined or arrested.

Of course, I know relatively little overall, since I haven't been required to get a sniffer test since 1997 (moved out of NW Indiana in '99).

Do the sniffer-test people there have some sort of agreement to put money into the pockets of approved "mechanics" who will then give them kickback money?
          Last edited by 1987cp; 02-13-2010, 12:47 PM.
          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

the ironic thing is that the readings you got wont change much with the smog pump. i know this is a scam since iv noticed limits being tightend. iv also noticed that your car might fail, even if it shouldent, if the test guy doesent run you car properly. the shop where ive been working on GMGT is a test center, so iv heard it all lol

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
            1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
            1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
            2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
            2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
              iv also noticed that your car might fail, even if it shouldent,
              Like if they run it cold or something like that?

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                Like if they run it cold or something like that?
                pretty much. they have to "heat" the engine and cats up to be hot before a test. that is why id never leave a vehicle for a test, i would show up for my appointment after a trip on the highway. that way you know the engine and cats are hot. also, depending on the shop, they might want you to fail, since the shop dont make money on the test but, they do on diagnostics and repairs. this is why all my stuff is old and exempt from testing. i dont miss going through all that crap lol

Comment

much to my surprise my car was ran three times with a broken exhaust and passed all three times. This was all in a row too! No comment regarding why it was ran three times.
                  ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                  My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                  My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                  But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                  my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I can't wait to see what emissions tests mine passes when it is up for inspection. No emissions gear whatsoever and I'm fine but it's illegal to run without a muffler
                    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
                      pretty much. they have to "heat" the engine and cats up to be hot before a test. that is why id never leave a vehicle for a test, i would show up for my appointment after a trip on the highway. that way you know the engine and cats are hot. also, depending on the shop, they might want you to fail, since the shop dont make money on the test but, they do on diagnostics and repairs. this is why all my stuff is old and exempt from testing. i dont miss going through all that crap lol
                      People *leave* a vehicle for an emissions test? That would be very odd. Where I used to live, you drive your own car right in and the rolling-road people hop in and take over, so running it cold is only a problem if you're an idiot. In fact, I think you'd get in trouble if you wanted to park your car there and have them take care of it for you later.

The only rolling-road test I've been to was in '97 after buying my wagon; the year before, in '96, my Cutlass was tested by a place that just had me sit and hold the engine at 2 grand for a couple minutes.

The shop making money on repairs is also foreign to me, because in NW Indiana the emissions test facility is state run and doesn't do repairs.

Comment

In Ontario it is mostly existing garages/chain shops that do the tests. You book a time for the test. Some people opt to leave the car with the shop, others don't. =-)

It is entirely upto the vehicle owner if they want to use the same shop for repairs. As long as the shop is certified for emmsions repairs any repair they do would apply towards the repair cost limit. Your 2nd e-test after a fail is free.

My last etest I coulda strangled the guy, kept slamming the doors shut, slammed the hood shut... That crap pisses me off, my doors shut just fine with a gentle nudge. I bit my tongue on that day...

Alex.

Comment

Originally posted by 91grandmarquis View Post
                          That sucks, they aren't even worth the time to replace them. I like NH because we don't need them till 93.
                          I thought it was 96+ (OBD-II)?
                          Even that (95 and older) seems to be getting sketchy lately.
                          Former panther owner
                          1981 CV 351 4bbl
                          1991 CV 302 EFI

Comment

^^what he said lol i think the ontario drive clean program is the biggest scam lol

Comment

reman smog pumps are around 40 bucks
                              i have a working one here that is less than a yr old but it's a tad noisy if you need it

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Working...
                              X