Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

89 Colony Park receiving 96 V8 GT40 complete motor.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

89 Colony Park receiving 96 V8 GT40 complete motor.

As I've posted in the project thread, my 89 Colony Park's original 5.0 was smoking badly. Really badly worn rings. No fix in a bottle worked. Someone before me had overheated the car a few times due to the timing cover gasket leak (probably failure to change the coolant!!).

Anyways - I have a complete 1996 Ford Explorer V8 GT40 (not P) - 120K. Zach was nice enough to help pull that engine. It's on an engine stand now. I've torn it down. Plenium, lower intake and heads are off. Heads are at the machine shop getting tested, freshened up with new valve seals, etc.

I'm going to swap over valve covers from Colony Park as well as the oil pan. I have some 90 Town Car manifolds to install as well. I have the lightening EGR Spacer to install. And I'll use the Explorer lower intake with fuel injectors already on it/mounted. I guess I use the Explorer plenum too, turned around. Swap over the oil filter housing too - can't forget that!!

That's all easy...this is where I need a bit of assistance.

1) I believe I can use the throttle arm mount from the Colony Park on the Explorer throttle body (so I have the mount for the TV cable)? Grind the knurl off, move arm over and tap with a threaded hole or weld it in place. Is this correct?

2) IAT - this needs to have a hole milled into the lower intake IIRC. I imagine the machine shop can do that for me.

3) PCM - There's a Bill Blass PCM and an LSC PCM. Bill Blass is 3.08 (like my wagon currently) and LSC is 3.27 (what I'd like to do). Should I be able to use a Bill Blass for now? I know to swap plug wire routing.

4) Is the flexplate mounted at a specific point on the crank? I removed it from the explorer before noting its position. Or do I use the flexplate off the Colony park? I should have checked or marked its position at least. My fault...

Is there anything else to be aware of?
    -Nick M.
    Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
    03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

1 yes grind the nub off and drill and tap or reweld the original panther arm.

2 yes. I’ve done it myself. You can buy the drill bit and the tap to do it yourself.

3 I dont believe it cares about the rear end gear set.

4 flex plate only goes on one way iirc. You’ll see when you place it up to the crank. Cannot say if you can use the explorer piece.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Oh the holes aren’t equidistant apart. I love old Ford engineering! Except for their stupid pulley setup on the panther 5.0s

Thanks David!
      -Nick M.
      Columbia, SC

Comment

The early intakes have a boss cast in the lower where the sensor goes. Tap is 3/8 NPT, and you need whatever drill size gets used for that. Its not a big deal to DIY. Get a good pipe tap though, you want one with nice shiny flutes. The cheap-ass ones with the dull finish don't have good cutting edges and you'll play hell with it. Use cutting fluid.

All the mfg use the offset bolt pattern on the flexplate. The balance weights have to be oriented at a specific point relative to the crank and any engineer worth a damn would make it impossible to assemble that wrong. Just imagine the warranty re-works if the thing could be installed wrong. Brand new cars having the engine or trans removed to re-clock the flexplate due to vibration problems.

If you think Panther pullies are bad, you should see what GM was doing in the late 70s with their V belt cars. Everything sucks until you find something that sucks worse.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks Thane. Makes sense. I went and looked at it and I see it now! Just a little difference.

Good tip on tap and die. Noted.

Hahah ain’t that the truth! And well aware of the malaise era beginnings of GMs. Nightmare indeed!
          -Nick M.
          Columbia, SC

Comment

You will use your oilpan. You will need an oil pickup tube for a panther/mustang. Ideally the explorer injectors are better but the mark vii pcm is expecting the old style 19lb injectors so fueling will be a bit off. The mark VII computer you should be using is the D9S computer.
            You will use the factory panther fuel rail. The explorer one hooks up at the back of the engine instead of the front, and the explorer's placement of the fpr will require an intake spacer for the plenum to be flipped around.

Comment

Are the explorer injectors still 19lbs. but just the later design?
              03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
              02 SL500 Silver Arrow
              08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
              12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

yes.

Just be aware that it may not run quite right even with the old style 19# with speed-density. I ran what amounted to an Explorer motor with that ECM and it was bad lean. I had ported E7 heads rather than the GT40, but same cam and intake. I may have been flowing slightly more air than stock GT40 but with a stock lower intake I doubt the difference was significant. Either way I dynoed the thing at around 15:1 at best and at points it was closer to 18:1 air:fuel. It pinged and sucked a lot more gas than it should have. You wouldn't think running lean would burn more fuel, but it was more because of the lack of HP. Converting it to mass air even without any tune work made a huge difference and got me nearly 2 mpg. I'm running more cam and a ported intake now, and I know it makes more power. Fuel economy is actually better with this setup than it was running lean with a lot of stock Explorer parts, mostly because the fuel is actually where it should be.
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

We’re certainly aware of the possibility a mass air swap may be required. Nick’s going to start with the Mark VII speed density system and we will see how it performs.

My Cars:
                  -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                  -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                  -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                  -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

This is why i keep buying '90 california cars, lol. Already MAF-equipped. Before i found out my turbo kit won't fit i had grand plans to run a megasquirt or some such, before finding out i won't pass smog. Now back to N/A 347 with a little more compression and my good-ish heads, cam, intake with a stock a9p. Should run well enough and not cause headaches.

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
                      This is why i keep buying '90 california cars, lol. Already MAF-equipped. Before i found out my turbo kit won't fit i had grand plans to run a megasquirt or some such, before finding out i won't pass smog. Now back to N/A 347 with a little more compression and my good-ish heads, cam, intake with a stock a9p. Should run well enough and not cause headaches.
                      I want to see if your car will still have cruise control after you do the mass air swap. I have reason to believe the mustang ECU has the capability of running cruise control. Based on the information and pictures that Dave sent me while he was in California.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                        I want to see if your car will still have cruise control after you do the mass air swap. I have reason to believe the mustang ECU has the capability of running cruise control. Based on the information and pictures that Dave sent me while he was in California.
                        What we found was that the MASS Air Equipped box panthers had the cruise wires leading into the ECU.
                        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                          yes.

Just be aware that it may not run quite right even with the old style 19# with speed-density. I ran what amounted to an Explorer motor with that ECM and it was bad lean. I had ported E7 heads rather than the GT40, but same cam and intake. I may have been flowing slightly more air than stock GT40 but with a stock lower intake I doubt the difference was significant. Either way I dynoed the thing at around 15:1 at best and at points it was closer to 18:1 air:fuel. It pinged and sucked a lot more gas than it should have. You wouldn't think running lean would burn more fuel, but it was more because of the lack of HP. Converting it to mass air even without any tune work made a huge difference and got me nearly 2 mpg. I'm running more cam and a ported intake now, and I know it makes more power. Fuel economy is actually better with this setup than it was running lean with a lot of stock Explorer parts, mostly because the fuel is actually where it should be.
                          Years ago, I had an H.O. swapped Cougar the I put 96 Explorer heads and intake on with SD...it was a turd over 4K rpm, like the RPM hit a wall. That POS was definitely dead lean too. For this combo, just START with a MAF swap and it’ll eliminate so many headaches. You can get reman ECU’s from AutoZone for like $150 and just jam an old Lopo unit in the box for a core.
                          '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

honestly this is why I never put the P heads on my Mark VII. That, and the engine is well north of 200k and I thought that messing with it might be a stupid idea. Upgrading just the lower intake made a nice difference but I think thats probably the smart practical limit to a speed-density HO motor with 245k on it.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                              Curious on this myself but my brother was saying the mustangs run a separate cruise module. Guess we'll see. If it doesn't work then i'm putting a nice Grant wheel on it since mine is starting to look shitty anyway. The thought of losing cruise bothered me until i realized that i drive on the freeway like twice a year and this is California so it's fucking stop-and-go anyway, cruise is almost useless.

Comment

Working...
                              X