The MegaMerc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
    If you can't get it out, basically you need a whole rear.
    Actually no, what you need is a thin cutoff wheel, a good angle grinder, and a steady hand. You are slicing thru the carrier, so the carrier gets destroyed, but the gears and housing remain intact and can be reused. Tis how way back when the Cherry Bomb ended up with a limited-slip diff when the initial plan was just a re-bearing job. Tis also why I strongly dislike the C-clip axleshaft retaining arrangement in LD axles.
    The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
    The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Good luck Jim.

Always afraid of that happening to me.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Thanks David, pin came right out. Awesome tool. Details later....

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

While the rear was apart & waiting for tools I replaced the plastic pucks in 3 of the windows.

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

Originally posted by mitymerc View Post
            Thanks David, pin came right out. Awesome tool. Details later....
            Unfortunately, the pics of the tool in use were on the phone that was stolen.

Comment

While it was down for the rear I replaced the slugs in 3 of the windows.

Comment

The MegaMerc plunked (passed/flunked) inspection on Friday.
                The tierod ends are ready to pull, still need to remove them from the sleeves. Moog ends should be here on Friday.

Comment

Sleeves are cheap enough, buy new ones if the outer TREs are too stuck in the old ones. I don't even fuck with them on older cars, if she's getting new TREs she's getting sleeves ordered too, then if I gotta go for the blue wrench to make the outer TRE let go of the sleeve I'll pull the sleeve off the inner TREs.
                  The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.

Comment

Removed old TREs last night. Copious application of P'Blaster, a couple good whacks on the spindles & they disengaged. A small pipe wrench on the sleeves wedged into the springs & a bigger one on the TREs turned them right out. Awaiting new TREs...

Comment

Back together & on the road. Job went amazingly easily for such an old beast.

Comment

Now it needs Explorer subs and amps?

Comment

I also don't like to fool with the sleeves. Most of the time they end up mangled by the time the end comes loose.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by his royal ghostliness View Post
                            now it needs explorer subs and amps? :d
                            yes!

Comment

To answer your question in the other thread, idk for sure how to make these things work with the premium sound. What I started with is a head unit with two pairs of wires, each going to a speaker in the doors - that's all Ford deemed necessary to provide my vehicle with. I replaced the factory head unit with an aftermarket one that supports four speakers and has separate RCA sub outs, and added wiring accordingly. In case of Premium sound with factory head unit, I suppose you could parallel the amps for the Explorer subs with the rear speakers, very much like how the dash speakers are paralleled with those inside the front doors. Actually in your case that is going to be the easiest solution, since your rear speakers are right there near where the subs will be as well. Then you also need key-on signal, power, and ground - so total of 5 wires per amp.

Comment

I had figured parallel so as not to disturb impedence. I really don't want to put much $ into sound right now so fact head will have to do. I have wanted to put an 8 or 10 under the rear panel between the storage cubby & the speaker. Seems like an impossibility to build a proper erly sized box to fit there. Now that the boys have outgrown the wayback seat the cavity is available.

Comment

Working...
                                X