Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

axle code 5 ?

Hello,
    What would axle code 5 be on an 88 Country Squire?

Thank you,
    Mike
    90 Colony Park LS with GT 40 heads and intake. HO cam, 65 MM TB, 67 MM EGR spacer. Has a 75 MM Pro Flow mass air sensor. Borla XS mufflers. 3L55. Shift kit, 2000 stall Tq convertor...Bilstein shocks, front and rear sway bars.
    90 Colony Park LS 64,000 miles all original. 3L55 tow package....front and rear sway bars.
    91 Grand Marquis GS....HO motor..Bilstein shocks poly bushings and police swaybars. This one handles the best.
    70 Torino Squire with M code 351 Cleveland 3.00 has Magnaflow mufflers. Hidden headlights and power windows. All original

Open 3.27
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Great. Thank you
      90 Colony Park LS with GT 40 heads and intake. HO cam, 65 MM TB, 67 MM EGR spacer. Has a 75 MM Pro Flow mass air sensor. Borla XS mufflers. 3L55. Shift kit, 2000 stall Tq convertor...Bilstein shocks, front and rear sway bars.
      90 Colony Park LS 64,000 miles all original. 3L55 tow package....front and rear sway bars.
      91 Grand Marquis GS....HO motor..Bilstein shocks poly bushings and police swaybars. This one handles the best.
      70 Torino Squire with M code 351 Cleveland 3.00 has Magnaflow mufflers. Hidden headlights and power windows. All original

Comment

Although that is what the car was built with.
        If somone changed it... who knows.
        If the metal tag is still on the differential housing, that's usually a better way to tell. Yours should say "3 27", while a limited slip would show "3L27" on the tag.

There are lots of online resources for the topic of rear differential tags; here is one:
        http://www.foureyedpride.com/joom/in...d=24&Itemid=40
        Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
        ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
        ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

No swearing that someone didn't change the guts and not mess with the tag either. The tag and sticker on my Mark VII indicates 3.27 open, but it has a limited slip carrier now.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Rear wheels off the ground, car in neutral, E brake off, spin a wheel by hand. If they rotate in the same direction it is posi equiped.

You could verify the ratio at that point by counting the driveshaft rotations. e.g. 3.27 rotations of shaft per one wheel rotation = 3.27 ratio.
            03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
            02 SL500 Silver Arrow
            08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
            12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Better test is wheels in the air but transmission in park. If one wheel turns in one direction and the other one in the opposite direction it's an open diff, or a wasted limited-slip. If neither wheel turns initially, then you place transmission in neutral as jaywish suggested, both wheels should now turn together - congrats you got a limited-slip and it ain't dead yet.
              The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
              The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

...or just go do a burnout, lol. Found out the trac-loc in my new '90 works that way.

Comment

I put a trac-loc in my '88. When I get dem new turbines I'll smoke the 20+ year old Michi's off of my car... I have yet to do a burnout in it. Most I do is peel from lights or fishtail around corners when it's slick.
                  1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                  1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Yeah now that I put the 255's on the new car burnouts are pretty much nonexistent. Need more powerrrrrr!!!!

Comment

Hahaha. Trac-loc reduced my 2 second peg leggers to chirps at best. No wheel spin = traction (Burnouts are cooler)

Will it still brake-torque?

Comment

Just need more motor and you can do burnouts. Either that or you need to un-adjust the rear brakes so they don't work.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Rear brakes are pretty strong on this car. Even with the skinnies I had trouble doing a power-braker. I did stick it from a dead stop the other day and it briefly spun both the big nittos. Definitely right though Gadg, more motor=more gooder burnouts. Hoping to get the short block to the shop soon. Got the heads and intake off the dead car now so once they go through that motor and get me pistons, it won't be long....

Comment

Don't forget a cam this time..

Comment

My lopo will brake the rear loose no issue with the 3.55 gears even with the TL. Brake stands are easy with drums too.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                              Originally posted by gadget73
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                              Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                              X