Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blaze's 86 SVt Vic (The on-going project)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First rate work!

Not like any other part of the car is an exception, though... Are you going to go with black rubber matting for the floors?
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

I have the old carpet in there, I would like to find new carpet. Since this is going to be my DD and tow vehicle, I'm gonna be putting some of the nicer things back the way they were.

Comment

I know I've asked this before, but can those hubs bolt onto our stock spindles?
        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

No. These are sealed bearings, not tapered. The spindle is tapered on ours factory so that you can tighten the bearings down, which is why there is a low torque spec. On these it really doesn't matter how tight you tighten it, because you are just holding the inner bearing race. Torque on these is "really fuckin' tight". It took everything I had with a 2' beaker bar to get them off, so I put everything I had with a 2' beaker bar to put them back on.
          Last edited by Blaze86Vic; 01-27-2008, 10:24 AM.

Comment

Yeah, it's like 180-200 ft lbs on the sealed bearings... More than any of my wrenches can measure.
            Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

A 150 pound person putting thier wieght on a 2 foot breaker bar will give you about 300 foot pounds... Id say thats plenty!!!
              Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
              sigpic
              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

LOL, I put more than my weight on there that's for sure. I had it clamped in the vise and I was pushing up with my shoulder. However you have to factor in that it's not exactly 2', and the fact that I had to use a deep socket increases the loss of force because the socket gets cocked a little and results in side force instead of torque.

Comment

you must have sockets from a bad part of china......my china wheel nut socket fits perfectly and yea the spec is 180 ft lbs.......you would be fine runnin em in with an impact too, it's not like the oldschool tapered wheel bearings.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                  2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                  1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                  1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                  2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                  1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I think my socket is the wrong size really. But it worked well enough. Today is the big day, hopefully I can have everything removed, do a little quick cleaning on the chassis, and install all the new suspension in about 4-5 hours. Everything is ready to go on the car so I don't think it's gonna take too long. Hopefully I remember to take plenty of pics.

Comment

(yelling so Johnnie can hear out in the garage) I hope your taking plenty of pics!!!
                      88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                      Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Originally posted by Blaze86Vic View Post
                        I have the old carpet in there, I would like to find new carpet. Since this is going to be my DD and tow vehicle, I'm gonna be putting some of the nicer things back the way they were.
                        Such as?

Comment

Well, I'm going to replace my fan speed switch so I have all 4 speeds, replace the vent fan so that it works like new, rewire the A/C compressor so that I have an independent switch for it, and rewire the radiator fan so that it is automatic, and I have an independent overide switch. Plus I will eventually find some nice carpet. I have a very nice set of interior door panels that aren't as faded as mine, and I'll redo the front 6.5" door speaker install a little better. I also have a complete set of all the plastic trim inside the car that is in immaculate shape (most of it is already installed), I have loads of NOS exterior trim and lenses to install. I alse still need to swap the tail light assemblies on from the car I got all this nice stuff from. And maybe even get all the dents fixed and get her painted.......huhuhuhuhuh damn that's a lot of work....

Comment

Oh yeah, got a slow start, but it only took about 1.5 hours to completely remove the passenger side suspension. So it's looking like 5-6 hours now of total work.

Comment

Well, I got a late start and all, and spent some time looking for the brake lines I had gotten for free, but I finally found em and everything is installed and ready to go. Here are a ton of pics.
                              Attached Files

Comment

And more...
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X