The Black P71

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Black P71

I have been debating making this thread for quite some time now, and I have finally decided to go ahead and do it.

All of us have done or engulfed ourselves in some sort of project with the Panthers that we love and adore. Some of these projects are simple, such as wheel upgrades, interior changes, etc. Some projects are moderately expansive, and can take some effort and time to get done. Things such as brake swaps, engine rebuilds, and suspension updates would be included within this. Then there are projects that are so expansive that we doubt the fact that we may ever finish them. Things involving massive customization or the complete restoration of a car, including removing the frame.

The project that I'm going to present here falls between expansive, and quite expansive. This project took us (My dad, brothers and I) 5+ years to complete. It was an off and on effort, with work varying depending on motivation. The car sat for a two year stretch waiting to be welded up.

The car itself is a 1999 CVPI P71, that we built for my father. It started out as two cars actually, a 1998 P71 from a local PD, and a 1999 P71 CT State Trooper car. The local car was a Natural gas car that had caught fire, and incurred severe damage. The damage was compunded by the time that it sat outisde under a tree weathering. The car had only had 14,000 miles on it though

My father acquired the '98 car in late 2000 from a friend of his at the town where the car had been in service. He didn't have a use for it when he accepted it, but he was contemplating building a late model CVPI. Once we got it, we realized that it was pretty rough, and that we'd need a complete donor car. After he picked the car up, and a few days later the opportunity presented itself for him to acquire a 1999 P71, that had been badly wrecked in a rearend collision. The car was available through the estate of his late best friend. With only 42,000 miles on it, the car was pretty new. He was able to purchase the silver 1999 P71 for $2000.

The reason for building the car was that my dad didn't have any money at the time, and he was thinking that he would need to replace the family car within the next few years (ironically, that family car is still in service today, and still serves us well). Being of the resourceful, practical mind that he is, he decided building a full size Ford would be a good idea.

With an initial investment of 2000, we were off to a good start. We dug into the '98 car for diassembly in Feb. 2002. The pictures document the dissassembly fairly well, although some steps are missing. Originally, the plan was to take the front sheet metal and interior, etc from the silver car, and transplant it onto the 1998 car. The engine and all would be installed on the 1998 frame and body.

However, inspection iof the cowl on the '98 revealed that it was pretty rusty, and swapping sheet metal would not be a wise choice. My dad almost gave up then, but he decided instead to "clip" the car, and finish it. Clipping involves cutting the car along the factory seams, and then rewelding when the new sheetmetal is installed. After going through 10 spot wled cutters, the rear of the '98 was free. The '98 rear would be welded to the '99 front, and the dropped on the '98 frame.

Once the '98 car was parted, the frame of the '98 needed to be "restored." the frame was totally sand blasted, primered with epoxy primer, and then coated in PPG single stage black. The frame was assembled using new parts where necessary, or using good parts taken from both cars.

After the frame was done, we took delivery of the '99 car. The roof was removed, the welds were cut, and the front and rear sections were seperated. The scrap sections were tossed, and the '98 rear was mated to the '99 front (not on the frame). Measurements were taken, and the doors were installed to esnure a good fit. The body was set up, and clamped together. Then we waited to weld it for 2 years, while my dad lost total interest in the project.

The car was welded in the original spot welds with plug welds, and stitched acropss the floor. The floor was also seam sealed. The rockers were welded, and then plated (on the inside; you can't see it looking under the car) to increase strength.

After it was welded, the body was lowered onto the frame, and secured. The engine from the '99 remained suspended on an engine lift the whole time (right in the engine bay), so it just needed to be dropped into the frame. The final assembly went fast.

The roof panel was installed by a freind of my Dad's, who also did the body work and paint. The car is now painted in PPG single stage black, and it looks awesome. The modlings and such still need to go on the doors, and the car still needs a radio. But aside from that, this project is done.

I'll attach a bunch of pics of this extensive project.
    The opics were all taken with a toss away camera, so the quality may not be the best. But, you get the point.

First pics are of the blue '98 Local car. Natural Gas.
    Enjoy.
    Last edited by P72Ford; 03-28-2008, 07:34 PM.
    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

More of the disassembled blue car
    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

More

Comment

More, more, more

Comment

Even more

Comment

Some more. Finished pics a little later.
            Last edited by P72Ford; 03-28-2008, 07:33 PM.

Comment

The interior is mint, but I don't have any pics just yet.
              Last edited by P72Ford; 03-28-2008, 07:33 PM.

Comment

Man, that thing came out nice!

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
                1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
                But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Impressive.

Any idea what caused the natural gas car to become a fireball? Not that it matters I guess but I'm always curious of such things.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Wow, that was a huge project. Turned out great though! you would never know from the pics it was once two cars

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
                    1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)
                    1982 LTD Wagon (R.I.P.) -|-1984 Grand Marquis LS(R.I.P.)

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                      Impressive.

Any idea what caused the natural gas car to become a fireball? Not that it matters I guess but I'm always curious of such things.
                      I heard the story about it when we first got it. The cop had stopped to get something to eat, and left the car running while he went inside. When he came out it was burning; I believe there was a gas leak where the main line is plumbed into the injector system. Perhaps a bad seal or something there; it really cooked though.

Comment

Damn... that is amazing.

It's cool to see it when people care about these cars that much, and the story behind all of it is cool.

And that car is BEAUTIFUL. Just needs the one wheel painted silver, lol. Or all the others painted black, w/e, lol.
                        1984 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murphmobile (RIP)
                        1985 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murph Deuce (SOLD)
                        1978 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, The Crapiece (current project)

Comment

The work that you guys did on that car is extraordinary. Though (I mean no disrespect) I think that you would have gotten better results had you put the same amount of time and money into your box. Even, as you already know that parts availability is limited for the boxes, it would have been a worth while project. I guess I just have a soft spot for the older cars.

Packman

Comment

It was quite foolish to embark on this project from a practical point of view. Way too much effort, and the car isn't worth anything; its just a car that my Dad will probably be able to rock out for the rest of his life (He keeps shit for a really long time). The effort would have been much better spent on our '65 Mustang (which will never, ever be done), or the '62 Impala my Dad had at the time (which burned up in our garage that someone set fire to).

Comment

Even if it was too much effort for the car, you now know that you can turn a real junker into a diamond! At least it's another Vic on the road!
                              1998 Crown Victoria P71: Former National Institiute of Health vehicle
                              1974 VW Beetle

Comment

Working...
                              X