85 Civi 351 in Toronto (MY FIRST CAR)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

85 Civi 351 in Toronto (MY FIRST CAR)

I just hammered out a deal for an 85 4-door Crown Vic. Dark metallic blue (any ideas on the paint code/name?), with a 351, climate control, no right hand mirror from the factory, and a few other neat options. 150,000 original Ks, so 95,000ish the american way.

It still has the VV carb and all emissions equipment, which I want to keep as long as I can for originality's sake. It has some rust, but that'll be mostly taken care of when I take delivery in around 2 weeks. Both bumpers have some rust, but the rub strips are good and the flaking/rusted chrome will be removed and replaced with an aluminum type paint in the short term.

The dash pad is all cracked to hell, but the guy I'm buying it from has an identical interior colour GM from the same year with a good dash pad. Is this something I could switch out myself easily? Should I just go to a junkyard? Should I explore his offer?

The only other condition issues of note (beyond general chrome trim crazing) are a stuck half open (almost like it's on a second latch) glove box, and a stereo running on about 2 1/2 half speakers (original ones, I can see through the cracked dash pad). It also has the under-dash vacuum hiss I've heard about.

I don't know some things like the rear end ratio (and if it's a posi), and any info on how I can find that stuff out would be great.

I wanna modify it a bit, but not do anything permanent beyond exhaust and maybe speakers. What is there out there for the 351 while keeping the emissions stuff and all that? I had it researched all out for the FI 302s, and then stumbled my way into a 351VV lol. I don't have dellusions of a 12 second corvette-burner, but being able to make some Integras and Civics at school (I'm 18) eat dust would be nice. Or at least my mom's 07 Focus...

I got it for 1300 Canadian, certified, all new fluids and filters, with the minor rust spots cleaned up and everything lubed, tax included, so I think I did fairly well.

Any thoughts/comments/advice about this thing? I'll have more info and pics when I actually take delivery.

Oh yeah, and thanks for this site, if it weren't for the search feature, I wouldn't have been nearly as confident plunking down cash for this car. I've learned a lot from here.
    Last edited by johnunit; 04-19-2009, 08:56 AM.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

and you can change the dash pad easily. And DO explore that guys offer on a pad because finding a good dash pad is hard to come by at a yard.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Welcome! make sure you post some pics of your new car.
      1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - Current - June 2016 POTM Winner
      1996 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - SOLD
      1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - SOLD
      1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 2dr - Long gone

Comment

You can find the paint code on the door sticker on the driver's door.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice. What else can I decode from the VIN and other codes on the door sticker? I've found the Motorcraft site that just told me engine, model, power steering/brakes, and year from the VIN.

Pics (and lots of them) will be coming in the next week or two. I'm hugely pumped, this is my first car and I've wanted to have a ford with a small block since I was old enough to pronounce Ford.

Anyone have advice on the performance front? The shifts are firm, but I still might go for a shift kit, beyond that I really don't know what's out there. I know I'm limited as far as heads/intake because I want to stay with the stock carb and e-equipment.

Also, does anyone know how rare the combo I have may be? I have a feeling that since 351s were only available in canada, and it's highly optioned otherwise, this thing may be one of very, very few.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
          160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
          waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

Comment

351s were all over the place.
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

ah. Oh well. For some reason I thought that they were uncommon options.

Comment

351 is a good motor though. one of my favorites out of the ford group. youll be happy with it

Comment

My Lincoln still have original 351's!
                  1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - Current - June 2016 POTM Winner
                  1996 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - SOLD
                  1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - SOLD
                  1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 2dr - Long gone

Comment

Welcome, the 351's are my favorite motor, although the stock Vic one's need a little upgrading imho. Sounds like a cool find
                    sigpic
                    Current Rides
                    67 Cougar XR7
                    97 Mountaineer 5.0
                    03 Ranger XLT

Comment

I've have a 351 with the VV as well, mine was a US police model though....theres lots of things you can do to wake the engine up...A new intake and 4 BBL carb for one to start, If you dont have a dual exhaust then you can easily buy the parts for it pretty cheap and install it, thats good for at least another 10 HP on its own...If you want to go more in depth you could get some GT40 heads, a better cam (plenty of different types of cams u can use, the guys on here know more than i do about it). You can get some shorty headers and a larger better flowing exhaust as well.... Theres lots of other little stuff as well.. for more indepth questions try the 5.0/5.8 engine section here or try a search. and post some pics!!
                      -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

there are plenty of performance parts out there for the 351, as far as getting much hp out of the stock carb your kind of limited but you can keep an otherwise stock appearance under the hood

Comment

GoodSamaritan Keeps the axle codes in his signature, what code is your car?

Axle codes
                          Open/Lock/Ratio #
                          -----------------------
                          G / H / 2.26
                          B / C / 2.47
                          8 / M / 2.73
                          7 / - / 3.07
                          Y / Z / 3.08
                          4 / D / 3.42
                          F / R / 3.45
                          5 / E / 3.27
                          6 / W / 3.73
                          2 / K / 3.55
                          A / - / 3.63
                          J / - / 3.85

So you are from toronto canada right? there is a meet coming up soon, check it out in the events section, we would love to see your car, also can join the group in my sig,

Also i know this is kinda stereotyping since your young and all so no offense, but your car is 20 years old even though it has decent mileage just remember there are alot of old parts on her probably just waiting to be pushed a little too hard to break (rad hoses, brake lines, ...ect) so just take her easy at least for the fist little while until you have thoroughly checked everything out. I have had mine for over a year now and have spent around 200 bucks in actual repairs, (Doing the work myself). I would start with the brakes and the cooling system, check the water pump, thermostat , hoses ect.

-Kevin.
                          Last edited by ÆJackacks; 04-19-2009, 11:28 PM.
                          Ont And Canada PPL The Cookhouse in Dwight

91 Grand Marq . . . . . . 88 ho wagon (project) . . . . . . 80' Lincoln Mark VI

Comment

thanks for all the info. Sounds like I can do some stuff, at least, to this motor before I have to totally tear it apart. I guess slowly doing intake, cam, heads would be my best bet in the short term?

Thanks AEJackacks, from my blurry picture of the doortag it looks like I have an M rear end, so 2.73 locker? That seems about right.

I don't have the car in my posession yet as it's still getting some bodywork and a safety before I 100% finalize the sale and drive her home, but I'd be eager to meet up with any other panther fans in the area once I get the car on the road and, like you said, figure out what's going to break. I'll try to go easy on her, but even on the test drive, having 285ft.lbs. instead of 140 was just sooo tempting... I can at least promise she'll be polished in places Meguiars hasn't even thought of, obsessively.

Comment

Welcome to GMN!
                              '79 Continental Town Car
                              '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                              '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Working...
                              X