PDA

View Full Version : Who is bringing an upgraded steering box....Box?

87gtVIC
07-02-2014, 05:54 PM
Probably the next modification to be done to my Vic.

Looking forward to finding out the specifics and seeing it in person all what has to be done!

Lincolnmania
07-02-2014, 06:21 PM
galactica has the nascar steering

87gtVIC
07-02-2014, 06:25 PM
hehehe Nascar steering mod! If Thain brings her on over I will be sure to check it out.

gadget73
07-02-2014, 08:29 PM
you're welcome to have a look and a drive if you like.

Lincolnmania
07-02-2014, 09:11 PM
yucatech has the hpp steering gear

sly
07-02-2014, 11:44 PM
I may be eying those red-tops... heard they're really nice but spendy.

Grand Marquis GT
07-03-2014, 12:03 AM
The late model steering is AMAZING.

I loved it!

SVT98t
07-03-2014, 07:03 AM
Www.redheadsteering.com

-ryan s.

miamibob
07-03-2014, 09:25 AM
Linky no worky.

SVT98t
07-03-2014, 10:24 AM
Round 2:

http://www.redheadsteeringgears.com/

-ryan s.

miamibob
07-03-2014, 10:37 AM
Cool!!!

sly
07-03-2014, 10:58 AM
yeah. those!

87gtVIC
07-05-2014, 09:54 AM
I am just looking to grab one at the yard.

Need to know:

What year steering box with high pressure hose?
Do I just need the flange and or shaft that attaches to the box?
Do I need the low pressure side fittings?

dmccaig
07-05-2014, 10:07 AM
You're welcome to try the Shooting Brake. Hpp steering is wonderfully precise until 90 or so when it feels a little too
precise.

Donald

gadget73
07-05-2014, 12:31 PM
I am just looking to grab one at the yard.

Need to know:

What year steering box with high pressure hose?
Do I just need the flange and or shaft that attaches to the box?
Do I need the low pressure side fittings?

Here is *the* list

http://www.idmsvcs.com/2vmod/steering/gearboxes/partnumbers.html

basically 98-02 stuff, but there are various levels of stiffness depending what the box came out of. I think mine is the heaviest of any I've driven, and its a known low-mileage pull from a wrecked CVPI. The chances of finding a good one of those is about nil. I wouldn't pull parts from those half million mile taxis to put on my car if you paid me.

you need the return line. If you get one off a cop car, its shaped to mate up perfectly with the box PS cooler. I have the whole line on my car from cooler to steering gear, and it looks like it belongs that way.

You need just the lower flange, but its part of the lower shaft. Basically pull the lower shaft, and cut it apart at your leisure. You only need the piece that clamps onto the box itself, the rest is just what comes with the useful part.

87gtVIC
07-05-2014, 12:55 PM
Okay so 98 to 02 CVPI preferably for stiffest steering.

I do utilize a power steering cooler so try to find one from cop car....

The return line is the low pressure side I would say right?

For the pitman arm...is that press fitted on? Easy to remove at junkyard. Same question for the lower flange. Pressed onto the gear box? and bolted onto the rest of the steering shaft?

Mr Bean
07-05-2014, 01:33 PM
I got 02' CVPI Red Head gear box up for grabs.

IPreferDIY
07-05-2014, 01:38 PM
I can't really comment on most of your steering box queries, but I can share my recent experience with Pitman arms. It's basically a press fit, but tightening the nut is what does the pressing. In my case, I used a 14" breaker bar with about four feet of cheater bars to loosen and tighten the nut. (I've seen people say the nut is 1 5/16" or 34mm, but mine was actually 33mm.) When tightening, I didn't have a torque wrench that went up to 250ft-lbs or whatever the recommended torque was, but I could feel the Pitman arm bottom out, and applying any more torque would not have done any good. (It's amazing how much strain the steering lock was able to take.)

When I did my research, I didn't see a single account of the Pitman arm being easy to remove. The easiest that I saw was using an impact wrench on a Pitman arm puller and having the Pitman arm pop off with an explosive "bang". To avoid having the arm fly off in such a case, leave the nut on the end of the shaft. One useful tip was grinding away part of the arm near the shaft to loosen the fit, and I had to resort to this since my puller couldn't handle the strain, though I didn't have the benefit of an impact wrench. Grinding is probably the safest way to go, but be careful not to grind into the shaft.

87gtVIC
07-05-2014, 01:47 PM
I got 02' CVPI Red Head gear box up for grabs.

I gotta pull a bunch of bits and pieces to make this mod work in the first place so unless the price is stellar I would have to pass considering I will basically have the part I need in hand.

stinkydogfilms
07-05-2014, 03:15 PM
What is Nascar steering?
How is it different from HPP steering?
Do any, including Redhead have the quick steering ratios?

Excuse me for asking simple questions.
I have CRS syndrome some of the time.

Thank you,
Mike

Lincolnmania
07-05-2014, 04:14 PM
read the link gadget posted above.

david, i would be careful getting a used one from a pi vic........most were used as taxis afterwards and have 350,000-400,000 miles. thains steering box came from a 12,000 mile wreck and i used the hpp steeting box on the shooting brake cause it's reman and has a lifetime warranty. the pi box is only available from ford now iirc and has around a 500 dollar retail price.

Lincolnmania
07-05-2014, 04:16 PM
rock auto has one left.

MOTORCRAFT Part # STG35RM {#XW7C3504AARM, XW7Z3504ABRM} - Reman
Police Interceptor (Only 1 Remaining)
$253.89 $150.00 $403.89

Lincolnmania
07-05-2014, 04:17 PM
new ones used to be available yrs ago, i'm out of the loop

87gtVIC
07-05-2014, 04:24 PM
Yeah I seen the one on rock auto. Thinking about it. According to Thains link the pi's would be the ones I want. I want the steering stiff. Finding one of those nowadays would be near impossible. Decisions to be made. lol

Lincolnmania
07-05-2014, 04:48 PM
What is Nascar steering?
How is it different from HPP steering?
Do any, including Redhead have the quick steering ratios?

Excuse me for asking simple questions.
I have CRS syndrome some of the time.

Thank you,
Mike

the 99-02 pi steering box has the stiffest torsion spring........that in turn stiffens up the steering, if you like pinky steer than this is not for you.

for keeping pinky steer feel and better response use the 98-02 hpp steering gear.

pantera77
07-05-2014, 08:25 PM
I can't really comment on most of your steering box queries, but I can share my recent experience with Pitman arms. It's basically a press fit, but tightening the nut is what does the pressing. In my case, I used a 14" breaker bar with about four feet of cheater bars to loosen and tighten the nut. (I've seen people say the nut is 1 5/16" or 34mm, but mine was actually 33mm.) When tightening, I didn't have a torque wrench that went up to 250ft-lbs or whatever the recommended torque was, but I could feel the Pitman arm bottom out, and applying any more torque would not have done any good. (It's amazing how much strain the steering lock was able to take.)

When I did my research, I didn't see a single account of the Pitman arm being easy to remove. The easiest that I saw was using an impact wrench on a Pitman arm puller and having the Pitman arm pop off with an explosive "bang". To avoid having the arm fly off in such a case, leave the nut on the end of the shaft. One useful tip was grinding away part of the arm near the shaft to loosen the fit, and I had to resort to this since my puller couldn't handle the strain, though I didn't have the benefit of an impact wrench. Grinding is probably the safest way to go, but be careful not to grind into the shaft.

Ya, I certainly wouldn't be trying to pull a pitman arm at a junk yard...

Just leave it on and take it apart at your pleasure.

The HPP box has a 98-02 CVPI box. It's stiff that's for sure. Quite literally a night and day difference from a stock box.

gadget73
07-05-2014, 10:59 PM
buy the box with the arm, remove it later. its a pain in the ass to do when properly equipped and virtually impossible to do otherwise. Definitely watch the mileage on the car. Worn out boxes are useless.

Input shaft is just a bolt you remove, then another bolt further up to get the shaft out.

Return line = low pressure line.

87gtVIC
07-06-2014, 10:39 AM
Now the input shaft is held onto the rest of the steering shaft via rivets at the rag joint. Will sawzall cut through steering shaft? I already purchased new lines (I know I have to adapt them to my system) and the police pump from rock auto. Now all I need is the input shaft. Trying to figure out the quickest way to snatch that.

87gtVIC
07-06-2014, 11:49 AM
Hmm I see 99 steering shaft on ebay. Only thing it is missing is the pinch bolt at the pump.

I don;t even have to get messy!

gadget73
07-06-2014, 04:32 PM
a sawzall probably will cut it, but it has a slip joint between the rag joint an the U joint at the brake booster, and you can usually just give it a yank to get the part that is useful for this. The box shaft has a slip joint there too, but I don't think the shafts are the same shape. Can't say I've really looked into it either though.

87gtVIC
07-06-2014, 05:59 PM
Well I don't have to worry about pulling one now. Mentioned the upgrade to my pops and he said he has a 98-02 steering shaft somewhere. Searched around a bit and what do you know. mmmmm NOS

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n636/david87gtVIC/DSC06138_zps0475dacd.jpg (http://s1143.photobucket.com/user/david87gtVIC/media/DSC06138_zps0475dacd.jpg.html)

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n636/david87gtVIC/DSC06139_zpsf6f2a2c6.jpg (http://s1143.photobucket.com/user/david87gtVIC/media/DSC06139_zpsf6f2a2c6.jpg.html)

What are the chances lol.

Appreciate all of the information. next step is getting all of the parts in hand and picking up a union and doing this......

gadget73
07-06-2014, 06:20 PM
well there ya go. Would be cool if there was some handy way to use the whole lower shaft vs just chopping it up for one part of the flange. I dont think the slip joints are the same size and shape though.

87gtVIC
07-06-2014, 06:26 PM
Well being that the stock one looks like this:

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=36825&d=1374800819

and the 98-02 one looks like this http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjAwWDgwMA==/z/J1MAAOSwbqpTrfWd/$_57.JPG

I don't know if it can be done.

sly
07-06-2014, 06:33 PM
anything can be done... it just depends on how good your adapter fabrication skills are.

gadget73
07-06-2014, 07:51 PM
ok, had forgotten what shape the later shaft was. Basically X shaped where the old one is a "Double D" (not that kind you pervs) shape. Well, maybe other options involve being able to retain the new rubber rag joint by only drilling out the 2 fastners that hold it to the lower shaft section and fastening that to the box lower shaft instead of using the repair rag joint.

87gtVIC
07-07-2014, 05:50 PM
Yeah I hope to use the new rubber on this steering shaft.

P72Ford
07-08-2014, 08:31 AM
My car has this mod as well, and its a nice upgrade.

Not sure if anyone else has made custom PS hoses like me (I don't like any sort of leaks).

I made a fitting that goes into the pump (tig welded an AN fitting into the pump fitting), and put AN fittings in the steering box. Parker Store made me matching hoses (high pressure for both the pressurized and return sides).