Cheap Upgrades?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheap Upgrades?

Okay, I'm looking for relatively cheap ways to enhance the performance of my 88 GM. I'd really like to increase its top-speed and acceleration.

What would be some good ways to do this that someone without much engine experience like me could do for relatively cheap? So, nothing that costs $1000 or anything like that...I can't afford that at all...A couple hundred dollars would be an appropriate area.

I want to be able to surprise the next ricer I race off the red light...I raced a Honda today with a fart pipe...Pulled ahead in the beginning, but hit about 50 and they blew past me...That wasn't bad for a stock GM, but I like to stay ahead of them.

sigpic
    - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

I would look in the junk yards for an HO conversion and I would get a descent exhaust. A little bit of money here and there will go a long way.
    YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

Get some 3.55 or 3.73's. That won't help with top speed, but you should be able to take any stock Honda to 60mph.

You may want to think about an HO conversion. corral.net usually has some cheap stock parts in the Windsor Engine Section.
      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

If your engine is healty and has good compression id put a 100 shot of nitrous on it. 100hp for $400, best power per dollar anywhere.
        http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
        http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

What's an HO conversion...? I've seen that one going around, and I haven't understood it before...

I'm sucha n00b.

sigpic
          - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

Comment

3.55 gear and dual exhaust is the safest and most effective.

Nitrous would indeed make the car faster, but not a good idea if you are inexperienced with it and/or the motor is questionable.
            2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
            89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
            88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Its when the cam and heads are changed to the ones from a 5.0 HO engine from a Mustang or something. Do exhaust before anything else. Next would be gears, then an HO upper intake. That mix of parts on a stock motor will wake it up substantially.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

good exhuast, some gears. Work on a mustang HO conversion, you can start small, like just the upper intake and throttle body, then do the heads,cam, injetors, and ECU
                Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarquis
                  Okay, I'm looking for relatively cheap ways to enhance the performance of my 88 GM. I'd really like to increase its top-speed and acceleration.

What would be some good ways to do this that someone without much engine experience like me could do for relatively cheap? So, nothing that costs $1000 or anything like that...I can't afford that at all...A couple hundred dollars would be an appropriate area.

I want to be able to surprise the next ricer I race off the red light...I raced a Honda today with a fart pipe...Pulled ahead in the beginning, but hit about 50 and they blew past me...That wasn't bad for a stock GM, but I like to stay ahead of them.

hey scott what's your gear ratio Yeah do the ho conversion scott can help you out in that dept I'm also saving up for ho conversion

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
                  302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
                  k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Originally posted by gabegt90
                    hey scott what's your gear ratio Yeah do the ho conversion scott can help you out in that dept I'm also saving up for ho conversion
                    Gear Ratio is stock...Whatever that may be.

sigpic

Comment

check you door it should say a code the bottom of the lable it will say paint code and axel code it will say ax the a number or letter

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
                      302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
                      k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Likely 3.08 or 2.73 gears. 3.55 gears will wake it up very nicely.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Most imports are all "top end" cars. Start with 3.55 gears and a Traction-Lok diff. Save your money, you'll want to go faster.

'90 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                          Baseline 5.0L numbers totally stock, 123 rwhp, 239 rwtq
                          5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

Go to the junk yard. You can find an 8.8 with 3.55s or 3.73s and a trac-lock for cheap ($50 for both gears and carrier at the local pull apart yard here). That'll save you a lot of money as long as you get good gears (no excessive wear).
                            Have 'em professionally installed. Also, be looking into exhaust. You can find stock replacement dual exhaust systems on eBay for cheap. Gut the cats and roll with it.
                            2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
                            1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
                            1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

Get a better exhaust. Upgrade to 3.73 gears and trac-lock like Freshmeat said. I've heard that ported GT40 upper and lower intakes are a great upgrade. I can't wait to get another Panther and try all of this out myself.
                              88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                              Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Working...
                              X