Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

need immediate answer...scott pleaze help!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need immediate answer...scott pleaze help!!!

on the 2 door i just got...Deuce. i took the smopg pump and a/c out of it and noticed that it had a coolant leak. the top end is all redone(lowerintake, head gaskets, valve covers) i noticesd along the blockon the front it is squirting coolant out from behind the water pump. it isnt the water pump though, it is what the water pump bolts to that connects to the block. i cant seem to find my book and need to know what this is so i can get the parts tomorrow on payday. P L E A Z E help A.S.A.P. Deuce is gonna be on the road soon and i wann drive him once in a while and dont wanna put insurance and waste money on all expenses if i cant be driving him. it literally squirts out the side and sprays the frame.
    Addicted to 86-87 Panthers

Thats your timing cover mang.

Comment

thanx for the quick response.

thats what i thought...but wasnt sure. looks like i am gonna be busy tomorrow gettin dirty replacing the watder pump sice it will be off of there. so i am gonna be replacing the waterpump, and timing chain gaskets. now the other question i now have. i have done a water pump replacement before, how much more difficult is the timing chain cover gasket gonna be? i know that i am gonna be painting the new water pump so that it doesnt get that crappy looking rust on it. looks like i need to buy some things to help replace this stuff.
      1)enamel paint for the water pump
      2)gaskets for the water pump, and timing chain cover
      3)gasket for the oil pan since i think that is leaking also.
      4)degreaser
      5)anti-freeze

is there anything else that i might need???

Comment

jack/jack stands, car needs to be elevated to gain access trans inspection plate
        27mm socket... (balencer bolt) check ya balencer for cracked rubber
        front main oil seal.... I believe fel-pro makes a kit....
        rtv.... for corners of the pan and block
        treadlock, procket bolt....
        3 jaw puller.... I used this to get the crank procket off, also to replace the key in the crankshaft....

almost forgot, a balencer puller... I didnt need one as the shaft of my balencer shattered, was barely held on with the bolt, drove home tho, threw the belts twice.....

now is the perfect time to replace, ur water pump, hoses, fan clutch, any belts or tentioners...

also wanna change the oil before re-fire......

use a dab of anti-sieze on the bolts.. (they may break)

a gearwrench is wonderful for the 2 upper cover bolts....

think thats all i used.... good 2 day project...

if im forgetting anything im sure someone else u chime in....

good luck, make it look good its worth it in the end.....
        1987 MGM 126K 2" True Duel flowmaster 40's 3" tipped exhuast, Tinted 20% all way round, individual bank A/F guages, tach.

Comment

sounds like the timing cover is leaking yes
          replace the water pump and the timing chain too while you are in there.........careful of those rusty water pump bolts

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

yes, definitely do the timing chain while the cover is off. They're like $25 and not a big deal to change. It requires pulling the balancer but Advance or whatever should have a loaner one you can use for that.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

i stopped at the ford dealer and they said they would do all the work for $360 labor. thats w/ them using my parts, and NO waranty. i know this ford dealership and i know who the head Master mechanic is. very reputable and i know they will do it right. w/ my schedule at work i dont think i would have the time or patience to do it. i have never done a job w/ a timing chain. i am afraid i will be overly cautious and still mess something up. i also have a friend that is a master mechanic that can probably do the work for me also. i need to talk to him and see what he says for a price. i also have another friend that used to work at another ford dealer that can do the work if i can ecver get a hold of him. i have the timing gears and chain, gaskets and reman. waterpump. if the waterpump goes out, i can do that, but never been that deep into an engine w/o the engine removed and torn all the way down.

Comment

just outta curiousity, has the water pump been recently replaced? if the pump isnt the factory origional your good to go (no bolt breakage) if ya get the pump off without breaking any bolts ur good to go....

alot of times, the timing cover springs-a-leak after waterpump replacement as only 2 of the waterpump bolts are actually pump to plate bolts... the rest are pump/plate/block studs... i havent seen any of those break on me yet...

as for the estimate u got, thats pretty decent......

now if that was only, cleaned and painted up for that id say do it.....
                1987 MGM 126K 2" True Duel flowmaster 40's 3" tipped exhuast, Tinted 20% all way round, individual bank A/F guages, tach.

Comment

Don't fear the water pump. Its annoying but really its not very hard. More of a pain in the ass getting all the crap off the pump so you can access it than anything else really. The timing chain isn't that huge of a deal either, but a bit more involved than the pump. Its not that bad tho.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                  X