Dude She Needs Premium!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dude She Needs Premium!

Was thinking about the Simpsons episode where Homer buys Snake's car "Lil Bandit" at an auction while I was on my way to buy the cheapest gas in my part of town. End result = a tank of premium. So far she has never run better, smooth as silk w/ plenty of mojo. If gas stays cheap and/or I see some improved mpg I could see myself going w/ 91 octane from now on.

1991 Crown Victoria LTD, Puff the Magik Dragon

Gas is going up here, almost 2.30 again! My car is running on gasoline vapors now, but even when full she always runs better on the regular 87 than the mid-grade or the premium. Your car is weird

Comment

Your motor doesnt make enough compression to need premium fuel.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Waste of money
        Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
        Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Now Im no expert mechanic, or even much of an amateur one, but I do have a very close relationship to my car, and I shit you not (unless it's the placebo syndrome) she is running much better on premium.

Comment

gas is $3.00 and the Benz will NOT run on anything else BUT premium...we tried .......And it had starting problems
            YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

My Ranger ran twice as good with premium over regular when the PCM had got the wrong program in it somehow.

On my mom's lo-po, you have to run at least 89, and you still get some predetonation in certain circumstances. Her car has been this way since day one with 10 miles on the odometer, and the timing has never been touched to this day with 216K miles.

My car, however, I think will run on diesel as long as you don't let the temp get above 200. Anything over 200 degrees and it's predetonation city, baby. 93 seems to make it sluggish.

Speaking of putting diesel in a gas motor, my grandpa went to a full-service gas station once and the attendent put diesel in his '82 F250 with a 400. He said it ran, but just knocked a little.
              1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
              1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
              Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
              Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Run 87 and some fuel injector cleaner every couple of tanks. It's cheaper and will have the exact same results.
                Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by 91 LTD
                  Now Im no expert mechanic, or even much of an amateur one, but I do have a very close relationship to my car, and I shit you not (unless it's the placebo syndrome) she is running much better on premium.
                  psychosematic

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06 (you will be missed)

Comment

Umm Octane booster works well to. but alot of it can hurt your fuel pump... Sounds like your timing is advanced. Didnt you have Engine tranny work done not to long ago
                    ? What all did they do? did they play with your heads? How about your timing.? I know alot of you guys are Set the timing to base and leave it. But im telling yea theres alot of ear mecanics out there that set it and forget it by ear lol.

If it runs better with higher octane though do that.. Hell i do.. mine runs like shit with low octaine.
                    People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

Comment

Just throw in some C16.
                      http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                      http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

my car runs better with 89 helps with the roughness

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
                        302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
                        k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Pretty much all it is, a huge buildup of crap in the engine and injectors that increase the compression and clog injectors. It's because the engine wasn' very well maintained. Do some cleaning and maintanance, and then all you need is 87.
                          Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

My truck always pinged real bad on 87 from the time I got it with 80k on it to about 125k. I of course being a cheapass ran 87 the whole time, but it had a terrible rattle if I put my foot down. I then discovered the wonders of Seafoam and after running half a can through the PCV valve, it has completely stoped detonating. I still run 87 and I haven't heard any noise from it in the last 15k miles.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

She's been seafoamed more than once since I bought her almost a year ago (pcv), and each time she produced a surprisingly small ammount of smoke. The jury's out till I calc. mpg. Still engine is performing better w/ premium, smoother, faster, etc.
                              Last edited by 91 LTD; 11-05-2006, 10:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X