help on changing intake gaskets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help on changing intake gaskets

Just found out my intake gaskets are starting to leak so I guess I know what I will be doing this weekend. What are all the tools nessery to remove the uper and lower manifold. plus what are all the parts nessury to do this.
    Will this take the whole weekend? I did read the previous thread about what to do. I would take it to scott but I'm worried that the car won't make it there plus I'm really on a budget. I've asked mike to help me on this one because I'm affriad to do it myself. any info would be greatfully appricated thanks mangs
    hope car holds untill the weekend pray for me mangs I need it

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
    302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
    k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

You can do it mang......

no real specialty tools needed except torx bit for the cover on the plentum, and a fuel line disconnect tool to disconnect the fuel lines from the rail... and maybe a timing light if u decide to pull ur distributor.... and a torque wrench. torque sequence was just posted recently in the 5.0/5.8 section

u can leave the fuel rail attached to the lower intake or take it off... if u take it off i highly suggest getting injector o-rings.

couple cans of carb cleaner, lots of shop rags, re-do all the vac lines under the upper and replace or modify the the "s" shaped heater core hose at the back of the intake. I did away with mine completely. also now is a good time to check the egr coolant hose.. replace or plug it, i plugged mine..... valve covers are good thing to do if they are leaking since ur there....

fel-pro makes a intake gasket kit which includes

lower intake to heads (gasket)
    front and rear block to lower manifold (gaskets)
    lower to upper (gasket)
    distributor o-ring
    t-stat (gasket)it is easier to do the t-stat with the manifold off the car...
    rtv sealant- for the corners of the manifold where the block,heads and manifold meet.....

its honestly not that bad of a job, id say 1 full day for removal and installation

maybe 2 days if your going to clean everything up and paint.....

dont forget to change the oil before you start it back up, and change the oil again after u confirmed there is no leaks......
    1987 MGM 126K 2" True Duel flowmaster 40's 3" tipped exhuast, Tinted 20% all way round, individual bank A/F guages, tach.

Comment

FWIW i did a head swap in about 5 hours. Changing the intake gaskets can be done in just a few hours. Just be sure that the end seals seal properly, or else you wille redoing it like me.
      http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
      http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Just a good set of sockets, wrenches, and a torqe bar will do. I would go ahead and change the pcv valve since its hard to get to anyways. Make sure you get all the gaskets and i would make sure you got all the old gasket off, and clean it up before you put it back on. Clean out the TB good. Some permatex did wonders for me when i went to put the gaskets on. I did my head gaskets and intake gaskets at the same time, it took me about 6-8 hours by myself. Its alot of work, plus taking the vacuum lines out sucks. But I wish the best for you.
        Stock 91 Merc GM GS 5.0L EFI, AOD, 2.73 Open diff
        Current Best 1/4 Mile 17.175 = 165 RWHP 190 Engine HP
        http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/registry/15193

Comment

re-doing someting is not what i would wanna be doing.... Id rather spend all day and have it right then do something over again because I was rushing.....
          1987 MGM 126K 2" True Duel flowmaster 40's 3" tipped exhuast, Tinted 20% all way round, individual bank A/F guages, tach.

Comment

yeah that's what I was thinking doing everything right the first time thanks mangs for your support one question where can I get a fuel rail disconect tool?
            I'll ask mike if he has them.
            thanks mangs

Comment

you doing it at ur house or mikes? if mike is gonna be round for assistance, take a white out marker and circle the hood bolts and take the hood off, makes it SOOOO much easier.... i didnt have 3 people so I had to leave mine on....

fuel line tool can be bought at any autoparts store, some even allow rental of a full set...

Comment

my house most likley mike dosent have a garage

Comment

hey LtMercDaddy if you can help me that would be awesome mang I thank you guys so much for any help glad to know I can always get advise

Comment

well ur more then welcome to stop by the shop i can lend ya the fuel disconnect if you dont find one... Ill be working from sunup to sunset saturday on everyone elses cars and trucks. I would say that you could do it in the shop parking lot but i dont think my boss would like that with it being the weekend and busy and all... Id be all for it if I wasnt working. gimme something to do ya know

Comment

I've got all the tools...I just have baggage to drag along too...2 little girls..And no garage.
                      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

How bad are is the gasket leak? is it internal? if u see yellow or milky residue on the dipsitck or inside the oil fill tower, chances are its internal and needs immideate attn. if is just dampness at the front where the distributor hold down is it can hold out, i have seen them acutally piss a stream at the front block end cap.....

Comment

baggage and tools, sounds like a job for the wagone'

Comment

its right near were the heater hose is next to the valve cover it leak only 2 twice I'm hopeing it will last till the weekend

Comment

there is a shop called "self service repair" i think, and its on MD 648. they have like 6 bays and u can rent them by the hour.. i believe they do tool rental too. never actually stopped in only heard about it.... maybe ill ride by there on my lunch tomorrow check it out... something to keep in mind for the heart and legs transplant

Comment

Working...
                              X