got a free marine 302!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

got a free marine 302!

yupp, have a boat a work that is going to get a date with the back hoe since its rotton but nice power train and i put first dibs on it so the service manager said if on the weekend you take the engine and sterndrive off, you can keep the engone since the volvo penta drive is worth a bit, so yesterday i preped it to come out, so at lunch tomorrow, i will have the engine, but what to do with it, im also trying to get specs for it.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

what year is it? Check the front of the heads see if there are two vertical ridges cast into them.
    http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
    http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Be careful if its not a fresh water cooled motor. The heads get real nasty on raw water motors if its been sitting a while. Eventually the water passages rot through and the blocks are usually full of rust and crud.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

from my experience, i could imagine what could be in there, when i winterize, i cant belive the amout of rust that some of the engines have, and yes its a fresh water boat but thank the lord it aint no salt water boat!lol

Comment

Fresh raw water is bad too. I mean fresh water cooled as in having antifreeze in a closed system. My boat has raw water cooling, and its pretty much fresh water here, and the block drains are always clogged full with black mud and rust and all manner of garbage. Have to take a small screwdriver and clear the block drains out to winterize it.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Good thing you did the work huh
            YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

My outboard is probably filled full of shell from me plowing the sand bars.
              1989 Grand Marquis LS
              flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

one time we hit a rock and it sheared the pin that holds the prop

Comment

Yeah. Im going to school to be a boat mechanic. I know I shouldnt do the stuff I do in my boat. Like slam it into gear at 6k with the prop stuck in the mud. I call it R&D.
                  1989 Grand Marquis LS
                  flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

I hate outboard motors. Nothing but problems from them. I'll stick with a stern drive or inboard thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73
                      I hate outboard motors. Nothing but problems from them. I'll stick with a stern drive or inboard thanks.
                      Like sheared pins?

Comment

No problems with mine. Just gotta run the old stuff. My problems are from lack of maintnence.
                        1989 Grand Marquis LS

Comment

would that marine 302 work in a car or truck ? just wondering

Comment

im with gaget i hate out boards...funny you say its either fresh water or raw, cuz up here there either fresh water or closed cooled for terms.

Comment

Originally posted by capridrifter
                              would that marine 302 work in a car or truck ? just wondering
                              Same engine physically, it will bolt up and run. Only minor differences in a marine motor. Mostly its the cam profile, its a decently aggressive low end torque cam, which would make a powerhouse truck engine. The gaskets are different, usually stainless steel or composite material for the head gaskets since steel would rust out. Freeze plugs are also brass for the same reason. Really thats about it.

Comment

Working...
                              X