No announcement yet.

5.0 Idle issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got it . It’s already on the way but I was just wondering before I did anything.

Comment

If the grommet is aftermarket, get some heat shrink tubing to put around the PCV valve. The aftermarket grommets are a bit undersized, and making the PCV fatter with heat shrink is enough to make them stay in place. Do not use electrical tape, the adhesive will fail and it will get sucked up into the PCV valve. Been there, done that.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        If the grommet is aftermarket, get some heat shrink tubing to put around the PCV valve. The aftermarket grommets are a bit undersized, and making the PCV fatter with heat shrink is enough to make them stay in place. Do not use electrical tape, the adhesive will fail and it will get sucked up into the PCV valve. Been there, done that.
        I see you had learned. I read one of your previous posts from like 10 years ago and you recommended using tape.

Comment

Someone once told me that experience is what you get when you were expecting something else.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Took the old screen and grommet out and pushed the new one all the way back down… now it runs like it’s got a vacuum leak again?? Will run for about 10-15 secs before shutting off. The only thing I did different was change the distributor rotor and clean the PCV. I put the old rot back and in and no changes. A bit lost, but I’ll replace the PCV valve itself too, since the way it’s running also sounds the same as when it’s out. I’ll also keep at what I wanted to do previously, going through the things I listed, as I believe that is the right direction.

Comment

Originally posted by monotonorobo View Post
              Took the old screen and grommet out and pushed the new one all the way back down… now it runs like it’s got a vacuum leak again?? Will run for about 10-15 secs before shutting off. The only thing I did different was change the distributor rotor and clean the PCV. I put the old rot back and in and no changes. A bit lost, but I’ll replace the PCV valve itself too, since the way it’s running also sounds the same as when it’s out. I’ll also keep at what I wanted to do previously, going through the things I listed, as I believe that is the right direction.
              Is it an OEM grommet? The aftermarket ones don't seem to be the right fit causing vac leaks. I'd put a new OEM PCV as opposed to cleaning it but my guess it that is not the problem!
              What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
              What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Originally posted by friskyfrankie View Post

Is it an OEM grommet? The aftermarket ones don't seem to be the right fit causing vac leaks. I'd put a new OEM PCV as opposed to cleaning it but my guess it that is not the problem!
                I don’t think so either. Not much changed so I don’t have many clues on what’s next. Temperature about the same as yesterday, fixed some vacuum lines (EGR, fuel pressure, thermactors) and that’s about it. If I could get it to run long enough I might be able to find the issue. Also noticed after starting it today I saw smoke rising from the passenger side near the back of the wheel well, couldn’t see what it was.

Comment

The PCV can be flopping loose in the grommet, or not in the grommet at all, and it won't affect how it runs. What will affect it is the hose attached to the valve - that where the vacuum leak could come from. Maybe you disturbed wherever the vacuum leak is coming from?

I'd guess a valve cover oil leak for the smoke. No big deal. Fix that after you get it running.
                  1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                  1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                  Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                  Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
                    The PCV can be flopping loose in the grommet, or not in the grommet at all, and it won't affect how it runs. What will affect it is the hose attached to the valve - that where the vacuum leak could come from. Maybe you disturbed wherever the vacuum leak is coming from?

I'd guess a valve cover oil leak for the smoke. No big deal. Fix that after you get it running.
                    Ok. And with the PCV all the ones I’ve come across have the F ends on them, is that part detachable ?

Comment

Originally posted by monotonorobo View Post
                      Ok. And with the PCV all the ones I’ve come across have the F ends on them, is that part detachable ?
                      Should just pull off.
                      What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                      What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Yep.

also just be aware if you get a metal one and hear a random rattle noise that sounds like someone shaking a can of paint, thats why. The plastic ones don't make that noise. Doesn't affect anything but if you worry about such things you've been warned

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                          Yep.

also just be aware if you get a metal one and hear a random rattle noise that sounds like someone shaking a can of paint, thats why. The plastic ones don't make that noise. Doesn't affect anything but if you worry about such things you've been warned
                          Got a metal one and it still doesn’t want to run right. I’ll change fuel filter but I pulled the FPR line and it smells like gas, possibly from the old one being bad (had gas leaking everywhere). This new one hasn’t had any gas come out of it, but I can just take it off and check. Also starts every time, just doesn’t stay on. Tried to send a vid but won’t let me cause the file is too big.

Comment

check the fuel pressure, that will tell you if its working or not.

will it stay running if you give it throttle?

Comment

No, I tried that already to test if it was the IAC. I’ll check fuel pressure tmrw

Comment

Well well well…

what’s the official name of this part other than the nicknames given to them

:nevermind, wrong pin was broken.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by monotonorobo; 04-05-2024, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X