JUST when I think I'm getting ahead....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JUST when I think I'm getting ahead....

Well, went to GoodYear today to get the front end checked on my '91... Started wearing the outside of the tires a little.... So I figured I would need an alignment... After all the crap I have run over, and pot holes I have hit since the LAST hurricane... (Ivan) So I go down there... and their service writer guy comes in and says they can't align it because the car needs THREE Ball joints.... (I'm sure if he didn't notice that the upper right side one was already done... he would have said FOUR!) and the pitman arm.... Before they can align the car.... THIS is from the idiot that tried to tell me that I needed Front brake pads.... and there was 50% left on them.... So then he tells me he is not sure if he can do them today.. I told him what makes you think YOUR going to do them???? So tommorow I am going to have the Ford place look at them... The Ford front end guy checked it out with a floor jack today... He didn't have a lift open... He said they don't look as bad as GoodYear said they were.... But he wants to put it on the lift to make sure.... So if they are OK... I am turning his sorry ass in to the Florida State Attorneys Office Fraud division.... Another friend of mines wife went in and they told her she needed a head gasket... (dripping oil on the garage floor) It was the OIL CAP leaking... It needed a new one, as it was cracked! What an ASS...... The car is listed in Pensacola Beach Fire Dept yet.. since it was their car... so that all the old maintenance files are kept on their computer... So I know he thinks it is a county car, and I'll just have stuff replaced when ever they say and not bother to check it out.... Makes me wonder how much stuff they have fixed on our cruisers that they didn't need.....

IF it DOES need the work done my mechanic said he will do the work for $280.00 labor.... Which isn't bad.... And since he has to pull the bottom "A" frame to press the ball joints out... I am going to have him replace the lower "A" frame bushings too.... The parts from adavanced... All Moog... $250.00.... Not too bad.... (Unless a certain parts guy that works for Auto Zone can get them cheaper???)

Guess the '84 is on hold for another month!!!

Just went back and checked the Advanced Auto parts website... Noticed the MOOG parts only have a one year warranty??? Whats up with that???

So TRW has a lifetime warranty... and cheaper....

So here is the updated price for all the parts....
    Lower Ball joints.... (2) $28.88 ea... $57.76
    Upper ball joints.... (1) $39.88 ea... $39.88
    Pittman Arm......... (1) $37.97 ea... $37.97
    Lower "A" Arm bushings (2) $5.77 ea... $11.54
    Total.... $147.15

More tommorow.... Tom....

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
    Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

The way i check ball joints is jack the car and see if the wheel moves up and down. If it does i make sure it not wore out bushings in the suspension arms. That does suck. Fuck goodyear and tires stores. I do all my own work except trannies
    1989 Grand Marquis LS
    flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

Now that you said I work for Auto Zone, I aint gonna give you a discount :nonono:

Advance goddamn it! I work for advance!

Anyways

gimmie a list, ill see what I can do...

email me the list...
      1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
      Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

You can replace ball joints without removing the control arm, especially if you use a ball joint press.

Comment

WOO HOO!!!!

:headbang: Tom.. I knew that---- just bustin your chops!!!
          Anyway... The service manager got reported to the State Attorney's Office today... All that was wrong with the car was it was out of alignment.... The toe in was out of adjustment... so it was sliding the tires on the outside edge when you turned,... wearing out the tires.... He aligned it.... and I am getting some tires on it tommorow.... When I told him about what the other guy said... he said, "Who was it? Never mind, I don't want to know..." When I told him who it was... he said that's typical... we get ALOT of business from them! When the GoodYear guy told me what it "Needed" all of that stuff.... I was like wait a minute... ball joints don't wear out THAT quick.... Tom, you know how I keep up with the tire wear and maintenence on my cars.... IF the ball joints wore out.. they did it in about 2-3 weeks!!!! (And yes they get greased every 2500 miles.... I do my oil changes every 2500 miles... Especially during the hot summer months) I do the 2500 mile thing so I can look at the odometer and tell when it is time.....

So after tommorow.. My "cruiser" will be ready for the hurricane.... Ye haw...

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…

Comment

Now we gotta worry bout waiting in line for two hours to fuckin get gas! :cuss:
            1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
            Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

GAS.....

I went tonight for gas... it was hilarious!!! I was filling up my car.. and my "Emergency supply" three five gallon gas cans.... So I go to our local Exxon... (smallest line I could find) And I was afraid if I went somewhere else... they would be out... So anyway.. I start to pump the regular into the car.... Got twenty seven cents in, the pump stops.... Out of regular... So I re-enter my card... start pumping the mid grade gas... Got 14.00 or so in.... it stops!! So I re-enter my card AGAIN... finished with the Super unleaded.... total price SEVENTY FRICKEN DOLLARS and some cents!!! (14 gallons or so in the car... 15 in the tanks) I'm glad I'm not having to fill the 75 Gallon tank in my Boat anymore!!! (I ALWAYS used super in the boat!!)

Comment

Working...
              X