{FUEL/EXHAUST} gas tank swap!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

{FUEL/EXHAUST} gas tank swap!!

has any one tried any thing like this??? my gass tank on my 84 gm has rotted out. and i hate the stock location of the tank. so i got this idea to install a tank out of a 64-68 mustang. it is about 8 in deep and fit in the location of the tub in the trunk .. also the mustang tanks filler neck is possioned where the rear licenses plate is on the gm.
    so i am now atempting to acomplish this task. today i cut out the floor of my trunk. what fun this was .. i had to brace the crap out ur the trunk with 2 in. round bar before cutting. when im done i will shave my stock fuel door and i will have a hinged license plate..

Interesting. You now that those cars had serious issues with killing people in the passenger compartment right? There was a reason they stopped making them like that....
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

hell i have a good tank out of my 85 ( it looks like it is a replacement) that is just sitting against a fence with 17 gals of gas in it, if anyone wants to come by and get it ill let it go cheap
      http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
      http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

You now that those cars had serious issues with killing people in the passenger compartment right?
        i won't have to worrt about that cuz if i get rear ended they will only hit my trunk lid. i like to refer to my car as a tail draggin lead sled. my rear bumper is about 3 inches from the ground.

Comment

Oh I remember your Vic, the white one lowered. You said you shaved the handels, right? That Vic looks sweet man, glad to see you gettin back to work on it! Neighbor ever shut up?

If you take pics of the work I'm sure Tom can host them for you.

Now the gas tank, I know it may not seem very cool where it was, however as far as handeling it is about as well placed as can be in a car. You'll have to let me know how that goes though. I was thinking of putting a 22gal fuel cell in there, so that on long trips I could load up with 38gal of gas!!

Comment

Well, the problem was the tank rupturing and splashing gas into the passenger compartment. If you make a cover and run the tank under it.
            Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Hope you don't mind that I'm posting some of the pics that you gave me. Though I believe these are a bit out of date, right?

Comment

ya those pics are old but that are all i had on the comp and i don't have a digital cam. now the rims are still wires but not thoes 15's. thay are now 17 in. gold and chrome. those pics are also before the hydraulics.

and the neibor still bitches. i had to park my car at a friends house cuz of her. cops where at her house yesterday cus she beat up her husband. lol

the main reasion i chose to change the tank was because when i drag the ass end on on the ground i was dragging the gas tank strap brackets on the bottom of the trunk floor. with the custom tank mounts i can get a safer clearance

Comment

'89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
                  '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

im also in the market for 2 new bumpers . same as the ones on there now

Comment

What's wrong with yours? I love those kinda bumpers, so clean.
                      '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
                      '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

they rotted out. i'm lookin for identical bumpers

Comment

Good luck man, I got my rear one NEW a couple years ago. But I can't find any of them now. All they sell are the ones with the nasty strips. I like the ones me and you have. I'm still lookin for a front one, or to get the front re-chromed...which by the way, do you have any idea how much re-chroming that might cost? If I find anything on the bumpers I'll let you know.

Comment

im able to metal finish my bumpers. but thay will need to be painted or chromed after. I prefer chrome and i don't know nuthing about chroming
                            including the price or who does it.

Comment

Originally posted by Blaze86Vic
                              Hope you don't mind that I'm posting some of the pics that you gave me. Though I believe these are a bit out of date, right?

Chachi, you never told me you had an 84 TWO DOOR merk!!!

Thats so pretty...
                              1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                              Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Working...
                              X