Headers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headers.

What kinda of headers do I need? Will any ol Mustang headers doo? 89 Vic.
    1989 LTD Crown Victoria LX.
    -3.73s' w/ Track Loc - KYB GR-2 Shocks All Around - TRW HD Cargo Coils Rear - Moog Front Coils - 1 Inch Rear Sway Bar - 4.6 Lower Air Box- Stock Headers - Off Road H Pipe - Turbo Mufflers.

4 Door Muscle
    Supermotors

yes, but you need to use a mustang hpipe and mod the flow tubes going to the mufflers.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

What are muflers? :drug:
      2008 Mercury Grand Marquis GS Bone Stock

The modern definition of "racist" is "someone who is arguing with a Liberal".--updated Peter Brimelow quote.

Comment

Yeppers on Mustang headers and H-pipe, unless you make your own pipes like me

Comment

If you can make a smooth leak-free welds in thin guage metal you can run Mid-Legnth headers like i did
          http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
          http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Well I'm going to be doing the exhaust system from the cats back. Than when I do the new motor I'm going to put the headers on the new motor. I was going to just get the cats the pipes the muffs.. the tail pipes (bent out the side) with the tips.. put it all on go down to the speed shop have the weld it for free . Than when the motor was swaped I'm going to take motor out, put new one in with headers.
            1989 LTD Crown Victoria LX.
            -3.73s' w/ Track Loc - KYB GR-2 Shocks All Around - TRW HD Cargo Coils Rear - Moog Front Coils - 1 Inch Rear Sway Bar - 4.6 Lower Air Box- Stock Headers - Off Road H Pipe - Turbo Mufflers.

4 Door Muscle
            Supermotors

Comment

Hm, you're gonna have to do a custom downpipe/cat system then. The spacing on the outlets from a Mustang H is not the same as the spacing on the outlets from a set of stock Panther cats. The 'Stang H pipe outlets are a lot closer together. Also, the Panther H is in the midpipes where the Mustang H is in the front section just behind the cats.

Pretty much if I were you, I'd throw a set of stock Mustang shorty headers on what you have now, get the Mustang H and do cat-back to match up to that so you don't have to fool with it once you swap the engine. You can upgrade the headers on the new motor if you want. Stock HO headers should be pretty darn cheap. Its either that, or you're gonna end up with either small exhaust pipes to mate up to the stock Panther mid pipe flanges, or some wierd reducer crap going on to keep the stock downpipes in place for now, then you'll have to get custom downpipes with new cats made up later.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

If you are using the stock down pipe this is what you will have to do. Weld on a larger flange, and you will have to add a place for an O2 sensor. Here is a pic of what was one my car before I redid my exhaust.

Comment

I didn't extend the flare on mine, just cut the ears off the stock flange to deal with the wider spacing on the header studs.

A better option if you don't want to change the stock downpipes and cats, 1990 Towncar headers. They will mate up to the stock exhaust with no problems.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                  X