non-HO cams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

non-HO cams

HEy, not that I'm going to be doing this for some time, but does anyone have any suggestions on what cam to use in a non-HO 302. It's an EFI motor, figuring on a 65mm TB, stock intake, stock heads, and shorty headers going to a mandrel bent 2.25" dual exhaust with Flowmaster Delta 40's out back. I'm looking for a cam that can give me low end torque, with mid-high range power.
    Nick
    88 Colony Park LS
    G-pa's old car, but he's cruisin around heaven in his 69 wagon now
    Future plans:Semi HO conversion, or Explorer motor swap, shift kit, PI springs and sway bars, KYB-GR2 shocks

What exactly do you want to do? If you do the complete HO conversion, you'll have an extra 40-50 rwhp no problem. It's hard to argue with those numbers using factory parts people would probably give away.

'90 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    Baseline 5.0L numbers totally stock, 123 rwhp, 239 rwtq
    5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

Yeah.......Explorer/Truck or Mustang/Mark HO cam. Forget about a decent roller cam for a decent price with a non-HO firing order. It makes no sense to go backwards to a flat tappet cam. HO ECM's are cheap.

Comment

Crane does have this cam

World’s top manufacturer of performance camshafts, lifters, valve springs, rocker arms and related valve train parts for all race and street performance engines

Summit stocks the cam for $169.95
        2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
        89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
        88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

So basically if I should go with a HO cam, I might as well look into FRPP's roller cam selection

I like the E303:http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=1329

Also...I know I sound like an idiot, but to change to the HO firing order, I'm going to need to replace my ECM?
          Nick
          88 Colony Park LS
          G-pa's old car, but he's cruisin around heaven in his 69 wagon now
          Future plans:Semi HO conversion, or Explorer motor swap, shift kit, PI springs and sway bars, KYB-GR2 shocks

Comment

the e cam is going to require you run a mass air ecm
            yes to change over to a ho cam you need a ho ecm.......mark 7 ecm will retain your cruise control
            i'm making 221 rwhp with a stock ho cam
            scott

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
            2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
            1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
            1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
            2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
            1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by 88grandmarq
              That is a nice find.......essentially a HO cam with standard firing order.... the issue would still be that the factory ECM would not be able to take advantage of the additional power potential without a chip.

Comment

Originally posted by Mercracer
                That is a nice find.......essentially a HO cam with standard firing order.... the issue would still be that the factory ECM would not be able to take advantage of the additional power potential without a chip.
                I guess some will have to install the cam so we can find out.

the cam is not that wild, so the stock ECM should be able to keep up.
                2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
                89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
                88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Ive got an extra Ford "X" cam laying around.
                  http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                  http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

If its essentially HO spec, but non-HO firing order, I wonder if just tossing a set of 19 lb injectors in would do it. Truck engines have a non-HO firing order and run the 19 lb injectors, but thats also the funky batch-fire stuff and they have e7 heads.

It would run rich as the ECU doesn't know that you put 19's in.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

the cam is not that wild, so the stock ECM should be able to keep up.
                      It isn't just a matter of keeping up. The whole reason to add the cam is to increase performance. The factory maps suck. You loose power dropping from a stick Mustang ECM to an automatic ECM. Imagine the drop to a CV/GM ECM. It is much less expensive to put a Mark or Mustang computer with a factory HO cam in the engine and the net power gains are much more.

Comment

are the harnesses the same?

Comment

Originally posted by Chachi
                          are the harnesses the same?
                          yes the engine harness is the same

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

will hp increase by just changing the conp. w/o any other mod

Comment

If its essentially HO spec, but non-HO firing order, I wonder if just tossing a set of 19 lb injectors in would do it. Truck engines have a non-HO firing order and run the 19 lb injectors, but thats also the funky batch-fire stuff and they have e7 heads.

It would run rich as the ECU doesn't know that you put 19's in.[/quote]

err, i never said it would run rich, i asked if fatter injectors would work with a HO spec but non-HO firing order cam.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                              X