AOD problems help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AOD problems help

the engine runs great but the tranny wont shift out of first. It does not matter weather its in 1 D or OD it stays in first i had no problems before i removed the engine and trans. tomarrow is the last day of shop work any ideas please help.

mine does the same thing until the tranny starts to warm up, then it will get more gears as it warms up.
    http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
    http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

You sure the TV cable is set properly, mine did that, when the Tv cable fell off, of couse a month later my trans blew!

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
      My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

i remember when i had the 91' wagon, i floored it once and it was stuck in first gear, and turned out the TV cable stuck out, i guess it was never floored before, but it does sound like a TV prob.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
        1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
        1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
        2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
        2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

the cable is there and i never messed with the adjustments when i removed it .I just unbolted it from the trans without touching the adjustment bolt. the cable apeares to be functioning properly.

Comment

Did you get the torque converter fully seated back on the input shafts when you put the motor back in?
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73
              Did you get the torque converter fully seated back on the input shafts when you put the motor back in?
              If he did not, it would have ended up like Phazer, and not been able to turn over, and/or even bolt up.

TV does not stop a tranny from shifting, no matter what. Max TV travel just raises the shift point. Believe me I know. My tranny now is set to full TV at WOT and it shifts just fine.

Duces problem is exactly the same as was mine just before I found out my fluid was thick as hell from all the fine metal dust in the fluid. The metal shavings caused the tranny fluid to be extra thick, so untill it warmed up, it would not allow it to shift, and as it became warmer, it would gain the gears back one at a time.

Change your fluid. Look in you pan, if you see any small pieces of metal, you are in a bad way. If you see a pretty significant amount of metal dust, you are on your way to the final drive. To check for too much dust, just use a magnet, and stick in on the bottom of the tranny pan, then once you have drained the pan, if there is any significant metal in the fluid it will be stuck to where the magnet is. Strong magnet is recomended.

Comment

once i get a new trans ready im going to see just how much abuse this tranny can take.
                http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Make sure you dont end up like me when my trans blew and have the car locked up. That sucked big time

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.

Comment

Originally posted by DuceAnAHalf
                    once i get a new trans ready im going to see just how much abuse this tranny can take.
                    Be very carful. I would not try and blow you tranny up. I saw an AOD that locked up...not pretty for any part of the car, totaly fucked the rear end and drive shaft, and I wouldn't doubt that the impact had some negative effect on the engine as well.

Comment

My old one locked up too. Stopped the motor dead when I shifted it into park and made a hell of an ugly sound.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

i did the same thing with the 1990 $100 racer, but the motor dident lock up, jus had a heavy load when starting up in park, man did it suck not having reverse

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                        1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                        1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                        2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                        2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

None of these posts are any help :cuss:

Comment

Sorry mang, got a bit off topic...

Try changing the fuid and filter, and dump a can of seafoam trans tune in or slick50

If you already changed the fluid, is it the right kind and is it full?

Comment

Originally posted by Blaze86Vic
                              Originally posted by gadget73
                              If he did not, it would have ended up like Phazer, and not been able to turn over, and/or even bolt up.

TV does not stop a tranny from shifting, no matter what. Max TV travel just raises the shift point. Believe me I know. My tranny now is set to full TV at WOT and it shifts just fine.

Duces problem is exactly the same as was mine just before I found out my fluid was thick as hell from all the fine metal dust in the fluid. The metal shavings caused the tranny fluid to be extra thick, so untill it warmed up, it would not allow it to shift, and as it became warmer, it would gain the gears back one at a time.

Change your fluid. Look in you pan, if you see any small pieces of metal, you are in a bad way. If you see a pretty significant amount of metal dust, you are on your way to the final drive. To check for too much dust, just use a magnet, and stick in on the bottom of the tranny pan, then once you have drained the pan, if there is any significant metal in the fluid it will be stuck to where the magnet is. Strong magnet is recomended.

Comment

Working...
                              X