prob should do the timing chain too, need reccomendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

prob should do the timing chain too, need reccomendations

i gotta replace the water pump on the vic. since i have no clue for the most part about the cars history, i should probably do the timing chain while i have the front of the motor undone lol. knowing my luck i'd just replace the water pump and two weeks later the chain would break. any good and cheap timing chains? i don't need nothin fancy.
    Save a seal, club a liberal.

Cloyes double roller, and while your at it a cam as well, and intake, and, ........... So it begins :evil:
    Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Gear drive. I got mine new for $100
      http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
      http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Originally posted by p71towny
        Cloyes double roller, and while your at it a cam as well, and intake, and, ........... So it begins :evil:
        Yea, since you got it apart already
        2000 Grand Marquis LS
        2000 F150 XLT 6 inches of lift.
        1987 Bill Blass Mark VII - Sold
        1985 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park- SOLD. to a little old lady
        Mercury Owners Group member
        Save The Whales, Restore an Old Station Wagon!!

Comment

Where'd you get it for that price? Im trying to be low budget and that would be about what Id be willing to spend for my timing setup. I've been looking around at some nice double roller sets for about $80 in summit, jegs, and speedway.

Comment

100 bucks for a cloyes? they are usually like 30.

I have 2 stock "silent" chains that are brand new. 10 bucks plus shipping...
            Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

No those are cheap, I was looking at other roller chains like comp cams and such for $80 or so, but $100 for gear drive is a good price.

Comment

$100?! wow I paid just under $40 for my SA gear timing gear and chain set off ebay.
                1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

Comment

Originally posted by p71towny
                  Where'd you get it for that price? Im trying to be low budget and that would be about what Id be willing to spend for my timing setup. I've been looking around at some nice double roller sets for about $80 in summit, jegs, and speedway.
                  Speedway motors. you have to cut out the ridge in the timing cover. i had to have one of the little gear axels shortened. did not take much just walk to the machinists and have him throw it in the lathe
                  http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                  http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

all factory hydraulic roller cam motors got a double roller timing chain. Yours might be worn and a little loose, but I doubt it will break any time soon.

pulling the timing cover requires you pull the balancer, which can be a pain to get off if the nut has never been off before and you dont have access to a big impact gun. it also requires you borrow, rent or buy a balancer puller. sealing the oil pan where the timing cover attaches can be a pain too.

my vote is dont pull the timing cover unless you have to, change the water pump and be happy.

2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
                    89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
                    88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

hmm, good points. i don't have an impact gun either. even if i did, everytime we plug the air compressor in it blows the fuse in the house :geek2: i'll prob just do the pump then.

pump
                      hoses
                      thermostat
                      fan clutch

sound about right or am i missing somethin

Comment

Hose clamps!!!! :drug:

Also make sure you get the gaskets for the thermostat and water pump too if they dont come with em. I like to use some RTV as a sealer too, thats just me tho. And while you have it apart you could get new belts too!!

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
                        My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

i have a $300 wish list at partsmaerica.com and that includes belts, hoses, thermostat, fan clutch and a whole bunch o other things

Comment

$300?????

for a water pump replacement? I got a good pump for $27 with a $6 core charge

Or is it a true "wishlist" and has some goodies for the car?

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
                            My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

i'm with eric...........make sure to replace all the coolant hoses, the fan clutch, radiator cap, water pump, vc gaskets,full tune up and seafoam, belts, and drive it

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Working...
                              X