Sounds like a chicken under my hood!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds like a chicken under my hood!

Today I went out to a basketball game and noticed a ticking sound when I accelerate. I thought it was the timing so I messed with it but it isnt related to that at all.

I just got back from peeping under the hood, it isn my fan hitting anything. I checked the oil and coolant, everything is Ok. But when I am at the passenger rear side of the engine the ticking becomes apparent. The sound only happens when the rpms raise, but you can hear a tick at idle. I dont have any idea what that could be but it just started doing it. I'm thinking, maybe there is something wrong with my heads (springs, valves, or rockers). If anyone has any ideas that would help, I would much appreciate it.

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
    My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Dude, did u ever change the springs with the cam?
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Lifters, could be improper pushrod length....etc..
      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Do you have headers or exhaust manifolds? A cracked exhaust manifold will give you a ticking sound too.

Comment

Yea it sounds like an exhaust leak, especially if it's louder with the engine under load. Load=more backpressure=louder sound
          Nick
          88 Colony Park LS
          G-pa's old car, but he's cruisin around heaven in his 69 wagon now
          Future plans:Semi HO conversion, or Explorer motor swap, shift kit, PI springs and sway bars, KYB-GR2 shocks

Comment

I was also thinking exhaust leak. Could also be a cracked thermactor pipe if that is still back there, or a leak at whatever you used to block it off.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

yeah, check both the smog crossover pipe going to the heads, and the pip/check valve going to the cats.
              Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
              sigpic
              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I have no smog system on the car now, I blocked off the ports with the fitting flipped around. Could really bad gas cause this? This all happened after I filled it up with a tank of shell 87. I trust shell around here, but shit happens and maybe they had bad gas. It sounds like a bad ping except louder which is why I went to adjust the timing first. And it all happens when the engine is under a load. What do you guys think?

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.

Comment

when i did the intake on my old mans i had that ticking and/ knock but i put in some winns engine tune up, and it went away in 15min, and changed the oil and its all good now.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                  1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                  1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                  2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                  2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

I tried some seafoam, octane booster and dry gas in the tank and it didnt help at all. You can hear a slight ticking near the heads. I think I might want to rebuild my roller block now.

Comment

Valve ticks are not anything to worry about. I'd still be more inclined to say its an exhaust leak or a leak at the blockoff plates for the smog junk.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

If it is a valve tick, I am very worried as it is very loud. My car runs the same tho. I just dont understand how it just started happening.

Comment

i would think that it is the rocker, sounds like exactly the same thing happening to a couple of cars i know about.

Comment

I'm popping the valve covers this weekend, I think I wont be very pleased to see whats wrong

Comment

Pulled off the valve covers today. Nothing is wrong with the top end. I had my pop help me and we narrowed the banging sound to around the drivers side of the bellhousing. I'm gonna pull the inspection plate next. When the car is cold, the banging isnt as frequent. When it warms up the banging happens upon any slight acceleration. Reving it high and letting it go back down to idle also causes it to bang. So hopefully there is just something in the bellhousing. Or could my transmission be going out?

Comment

Working...
                              X