Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My gas mileage sucks... how about yours?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My gas mileage sucks... how about yours?

This gets asked a few times per year I'm sure, but what are other 5.0 guys getting for gas mileage these days?

I know mine could definitely improve- it's been around 11-13 city and 16-19 highway. What could I do about this? Here's the setup:
    '88 wagon
    2" straight pipes past the converters, no crossover pipe
    EGR disabled
    225/75R15 tires
    3.08 gear ratio

I used to see 22-25 MPG with this hog...

I use it only as a daily driver and roadtrip cruiser, so I was considdering swapping in a 2.73TL rear end that I have laying around... that should get me a couple MPGs when I get the other problems sorted out... But my main objective here is to be able to consistently pull down as close to 25 MPG as possible. Any insight? Most of this post is just me thinking out loud.:poop2:

2007 F-150 Supercab XLT 4x4
    1997 Jeep Cherokee

Re-enable the EGR. It will let it use less fuel at cruise believe it or not. 2.73 will probably hurt you around town more than anything. It might gain a little bit of highway economy but probably not much. What condition are the tune up parts in? How about fuel and air filters?
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

According to the tripminder which seems to be dead accurate i get 11.1 to 12.1 mpg. Most of it is around town, dont do much highway driving. Damn a tank goes by fast

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
      1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)
      1982 LTD Wagon (R.I.P.) -|-1984 Grand Marquis LS(R.I.P.)

Comment

pre-HO conversion I was getting 16 in town if I kept outta it, and after HO I am getting like 13.5
        1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

Comment

Well hell, in my 4.6 I get like 13-14 around town. Winter also sux for gas mileage.
          2000 Mustang GT "Blondie", 2000 CVPI "Sargent Crusty"

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73
            Re-enable the EGR. It will let it use less fuel at cruise believe it or not. 2.73 will probably hurt you around town more than anything. It might gain a little bit of highway economy but probably not much. What condition are the tune up parts in? How about fuel and air filters?
            The thing with the egr is no matter how much I clean it- and I've tried 2 different valves and 2 different EGR position sensors- it just keeps throwing a #34 code. Would it be beneficial to have a clened one hooked up entirely and still be throwing a code?

as for the air/fuel filters- I replaced the fuel filter in november, and the air filter is a K&N that I'm planing on ditching because I'm sure it's dirty but I don't feel like cleaning/oiling the dumb thing.

And lastly, as for the 2.73s, I don't care about city mileage. I do quite a bit of city driiving, but 1000x more highway driving. I've never had a vehicle that got good city mileage, so I'm used to that. All I'm wanting here is to build the ultimate long haul highway cruiser.

2007 F-150 Supercab XLT 4x4
            1997 Jeep Cherokee

Comment

16-18 MPG here. Up from 13-15 when I changed the air filter and bypassed the smog pump.

Also: 3.27 rear end
              Project \"Fire and Ice\":

1989 LTC

My worst enemies are those who presume me to be harmless. They cannot imagine how much I resent and disdain them, or just how great a threat they would face if I could get at them. Everything in their behavior speaks of insult and presumptuousness, and for now it is all I can do to make constructive use of my anger toward them. At this time, I just make a list of them and keep a watch on. Some day, with the help of time, space, and circumstance, I will be able to humiliate them properly - not in a manner they would enjoy, but in a style calculated to make them wish that they had never been born.

Anton Szandor LaVey

Comment

Alls I know, my GMGT doesnt get great gas mileage with the 4bbl, either...
                1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

17-20 with the wagon running poorly, with 3.73's, no air pump, and 2.5" exhaust. That's with a near 300 hp motor, with a big cam.
                  Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

I haven't had to refill mine for about four months, now. I got you all beat.
                    2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
                    1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
                    1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

Over 20 city and 27 highway. 3.2? gears, 255/65-17 back tires, and single exhaust no muffler. Oh and my magic ecu.
                      1989 Grand Marquis LS
                      flat black, 650 double pumper, random cam, hei, stealth intake, Police front springs, Wagon rear, Police rear bar, wagon front ,exploder wheels, 205/60-15 fronts 275/60-15 rears, 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" offroad x pipe, Eclipse front bucket seats, Custom floor shifter, 4.10 gears, aluminum driveshaft and daily driven. 16.77@83mph

Comment

i usually get a combined 18 mpg with the towncar

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

somewhere in the single digits, but i havent driven it enough to actually care about the mpg

i figure the new engine will probably get about 15 or so, which is acceptable for what i want the car to do
                          GMNRadio DJ, Podcast Co-Host
                          1984 Ford LTD Crown Victoria - Drag Car.
                          99 Ranger 2.5 - Parts hauler and Pit truck.
                          03 Mustang 3.8 Convertable - Head Gaskets fukered up
                          95 S10 93 Accord

Comment

Originally posted by moneypit
                            The thing with the egr is no matter how much I clean it- and I've tried 2 different valves and 2 different EGR position sensors- it just keeps throwing a #34 code. Would it be beneficial to have a clened one hooked up entirely and still be throwing a code?

You are getting a code 34 and crappy mileage because you have a vaccum leak somewhere. check the vacuum can for leaks, as well as the PCV grommet. you might also have a faulty EVR solenoid.
                            2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
                            89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
                            88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Or a crack in the plastic vac lines to or from the solenoids over there on the fender.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                              X