High Idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High Idle

ok i used throttle body cleaner on the intake... in the throttle body O.C. ... and now it has WAY TO HIGH idle. is there any way to adjust the idle other than moveing the distributer? and why did it make it SO HIGH??? help please... thanks

Don't touch the distributor! It'll mess up the timing, and it has nothing to do with the high idle. You might have an IAC valve (the weird thing at the back of the throttle body) stuck open, did you take that one off to clean it too?

Comment

Check for vacumm leaks too, the vacumm lines for the brake booster and the egr valve are all in that same area.
      Current rides - 1991 Ford Thunderbird 3.8 v6 (gas saver/DD) - New Heads/Headgaskets with ARP studs, Air Silencer Delete, 70mm MAF, Plasti-dipped Matte Black with a Silver Metalflake Overlay, Muffler Delete, some LED's, 30.233 MPG for high MPG average!
      2006 Jeep Wrangler 4WD (fun vehicle/backup DD) - 4.0/6spd - too many mods to list.

Associated Panthers:
      Father's 1994 Ford Crown Victoria - Stock, 45,000 miles.
      Sold in 2007 - 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "Grandpa Special" 2 door.
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2128327

Comment

Check voltage on the TPS sensor.
        I also second the IAC suggestion. Many times when you clean the TB/Intake, the cleaner will mess up the solenoid. If the IAC is bad, the engine will stall when you unplug it.
        Vacuum leak would be large if the idle is as high as your saying (how high exactly are we talking here, like 1100 or 3500?)
        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

I agree. IAC motor or vacuum leaks are the usual suspects.
          In general, if everything isfunctioning properly, the easiest way to adjust the idle is with the addition of the idle adjustment plate from Ford (part number F2PZ-9F939-A) which goes in between the IAC motor and the throttle body.

Picture Of Spacer

Comment

i forgot to mention that it is a 89 CV btw ... sorry
            Originally posted by Ivan D
            You might have an IAC valve (the weird thing at the back of the throttle body) stuck open, did you take that one off to clean it too?
            i did not take that off and clean it... i sure will do that, i hope that is all that it is. if i clean it and it doesnt take the idle down does that mean it is bad?

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie
              Vacuum leak would be large if the idle is as high as your saying (how high exactly are we talking here, like 1100 or 3500?)
              yeah it sounds around 1000 ... but i dont think that it is a vacuum leak since it was running fine before i cleaned it. thanks

Comment

i forgot to mention that the idle is high only in park and neutral. i goes to normal when in reverse or drive. if that has anything to do with it. thanks

Comment

Your car idles normal in all non-neutral gears cause there is load on the engine to slow it down. The way EFI Panthers are designed is to revv up to about 1000rpms when starting, then eventually go down to 500 or so. Yours seems to be forgetting to wind down, so I'd place my bet on the IAC sticking open - to test it do like Tiggie said, just unplug it while the engine's running, if the idle doesn't change you've found your problem.

Just to make sure take it off, clean it nicely with whatever chemical you're using and make sure the valve moves freely, then unplug the harness from the motor and spray some electric contacts cleaner on both, and before you plug them back put some dielectric grease to prevent posssible corosion. After you bolt the IAC assembly back on the idle should be okay, if it still flies high then it's time for a new motor for it.

Comment

My 87 MGM has a Idle adjustment screw located on the throttle linkage. but if it was fine before any u didnt touch the screw then more then likely its a bad IAC or, all that junk u cleaned outta your T/B is holding ur throttle plate open a little...
                    1987 MGM 126K 2" True Duel flowmaster 40's 3" tipped exhuast, Tinted 20% all way round, individual bank A/F guages, tach.

Comment

Originally posted by 91 LTD
                      My 91 351w does the same thing. I'll start it, and it i'll idle real fast. If I shut it off and start it again she usually calms down. Any thoughts?
                      Does this happen on initial start up and clear up after the car is warmed up and you rev it a little? If so, it's probably the choke.
                      The 351W is carb'ed, so no much (if anything) from the above post is going to apply to you.
                      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

so do i take off the part just with screws, or the hole part with the bolts? and do i need to get new gaskets when i do it? thanks

Comment

Ttake off the whole assembly with the two 5/16" bolts, the cylinder with the two tiny screws is the IAC motor and taking only it off won't give you access to the valve.

Comment

I would also consider maybe pulling the whole throttle body off to properly clean it. If you do that, you will need a new gasket under the throttle body, and you should also replace the IAC motor gasket if you remove it. If you do pop the throttle body off, take an old toothbrush or something and clean the whole plate and body out. Its probably got some gunk that you un-stuck hanging the plate open a bit.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Also, make sure your pcv is properly seated and have your alternator checked at AZ. A dying alternator will work the engine faster to keep up the voltage. Both of these conditons happened to me along the way on 89 T/C.

Comment

Working...
                              X