Rough running and little power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rough running and little power

I've been having some problems with the gas gauge, so I wonder if this is related.

First, the car runs inconsistantly, its either rough running with a noticeable miss or it runs smooth but has a high idle. When you start it, usually it will idle fine (fast to low idle) then after two minutes it will start idling higher. Other times it will just run really rough and stumble at low speeds. The power/torque has been there until recently.

I filled the tank yesterday with 87 octane and even added some Seafoam treatment to the gas tank, but now the car definitely lacks alot of power. Its driving like im towing something and doesn't have the torque it had a couple of days ago even with just me in the car.

I used some throttle body cleaner yesterday and I was able to get it to run a little smoother, but it also stalled out alot when it shouldn't of. I also noticed that the gas gauge was more accurate when I was cleaning out the throttle body?
    Current rides - 1991 Ford Thunderbird 3.8 v6 (gas saver/DD) - New Heads/Headgaskets with ARP studs, Air Silencer Delete, 70mm MAF, Plasti-dipped Matte Black with a Silver Metalflake Overlay, Muffler Delete, some LED's, 30.233 MPG for high MPG average!
    2006 Jeep Wrangler 4WD (fun vehicle/backup DD) - 4.0/6spd - too many mods to list.

Associated Panthers:
    Father's 1994 Ford Crown Victoria - Stock, 45,000 miles.
    Sold in 2007 - 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "Grandpa Special" 2 door.
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2128327

its probably your fuel injectors. It only takes one leaky one to foul a plug and messup the whole engines smoothness, idle, and power/torque.
    1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

Comment

I second that,pull your upper intake and start checking/testing injectors.

Comment

no need to pull the upper yet, just check all your spark plugs, if one of them is drenched in gas - - you know its that injector :2thumbs:
        1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

Comment

I could smell gas sometimes if after a short drive or if I let it idle for 10 minutes. It was around the intake, but it wasn't that noticeable. Can a bad injector really cause that much of a problem, because this is inconsistent. Gas mileage varies also, but its hard to tell with a bad gas gauge.
          Current rides - 1991 Ford Thunderbird 3.8 v6 (gas saver/DD) - New Heads/Headgaskets with ARP studs, Air Silencer Delete, 70mm MAF, Plasti-dipped Matte Black with a Silver Metalflake Overlay, Muffler Delete, some LED's, 30.233 MPG for high MPG average!
          2006 Jeep Wrangler 4WD (fun vehicle/backup DD) - 4.0/6spd - too many mods to list.

Associated Panthers:

Comment

Also, can I use a stock set of HO injectors if I replace them also without using the HO computer? I know you need the HO cam and the computer for it to run properly, but I need to do a quick cheap fix and I've been getting 16mpg highway at best since I bought the car. Still have to find a trip minder, change the tranny fluid, and put on new bushings on the TV cable (didn't break but it has the original ones).

Associated Panthers:

Comment

adding 19lb injectors to a stock engine/cam setup will turn it into even more of a gas hog and a studderer. Trust me its probably an injector, my car did the same thing. Do you have a fuel pressure tester?? If the fuel pressure drops off fast after you turn the car off its definately a leak.
              Last edited by 89LincolnTWNcar; 04-01-2006, 01:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 87mefull
                Also, can I use a stock set of HO injectors if I replace them also without using the HO computer?
                I *think* you need the HO computer for HO injectors. Someone else probably knows for sure.
                1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie
                  I *think* you need the HO computer for HO injectors. Someone else probably knows for sure.
                  you do.
                  Nick
                  88 Colony Park LS
                  G-pa's old car, but he's cruisin around heaven in his 69 wagon now
                  Future plans:Semi HO conversion, or Explorer motor swap, shift kit, PI springs and sway bars, KYB-GR2 shocks

Comment

HO cam, injectors, and computer.

Might as well get the E7 or better heads, too.
                    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Fixed the problem, had some little vacumm leaks and alot of carbon build up from running 87 octane. I checked the plugs for bad injectors and for fuel leaks and they were clean, even ran the car very hard for an hour with no problems or smells. Only reason why I smelled gas is probably because I was cleaning the TB for 20 minutes yesterday because of the carbon buildup.

Fixed the vacumm lines, ran some seafoam, and filled it up with 94 octane. Runs smooth as glass now.

Associated Panthers:

Comment

good to hear! now just get an HO cam, E7 heads, 19lb injectors, an 89-92 mark VII or 87-89 speed density Mustang computer, an upper intake and throttle body off a HO mustang or Mark VII, and get your egr spacer bored out to 63mm and get your towncar TB butterfly valve welded onto the HO throttle body (by Scott aka lincolnmania :2thumbs and throw it all on to really feel the power!

Comment

I want to do the whole HO conversion, but my car is a daily driver and its a big risk. I've rebuilt a 4 cylinder engine before and that took me 2 months to do, even with working on it every day. I might swap the heads for a set of e7's if it won't be too hard to do.

I have an a complete HO intake (upper & lower with 19lb injectors) so im just going to swap the upper intake (with the TB) for a little boost.

Running 87 octane was probably a big mistake for my car though, the amount of carbon buildup I had in a matter of two weeks was unbelievable. I just cleaned the entire fuel system, ran seafoam through it, checked the plugs, checked for codes, cleaned the TB, checked the timing, flushed the cooling system, and replaced the IAC.

Didn't have a single problem until I downgraded from 89 to 87 octane, but then again the quality of gas in PA is very poor (had to use an additive most of the time). It ran though, which was surprising since I couldn't get a chevy 2.8 v6 to run on 87.
                          Last edited by 87mefull; 04-02-2006, 03:20 PM.

Associated Panthers:

Comment

interestingly, my lincoln ran 87 for 17 years and it still runs fine on 87 after the HO conversion. OH and don't clean the throttle body with any sort of cleaner or petroleum product, it already has a coating of teflon to keep it clean, so just wipe it out.

Comment

It should run just fine on 87. Mine did with the stock 125k mile engine, and still does with an HO motor. Make sure the timing is correct, do a blast of seafoam through the brake booster or PCV valve and it should be fine. Mine doesn't ping on regular now that I have the fuel pressure correctly set.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                              X