Project Teardown Commencing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Project Teardown Commencing

So, I havent driven my vic in about 4 months, and well, I just got the money for the mustang multiport intake which I'll have either tommorow or Thursday. So after dinner I started teardown.

I pulled the plug wires, distributer coil and some of the other electrical stuff topside. Then I pulled the radiator and condensor.

A few things suprised me. First, no fasteners broke. Not bad for a 22 year old car.

Another thing, when I pulled the radiator out, some of the leftover coolant inside came out mixed with tranny fluid. I've pulled many other radiators with integrated tranny coolers, and well, tranny fluid's never came out of a coolant hose location. So my theory is, there is an internal leak in the radiator and it's shot. That's the assumption I'm going on anyway and I'll just put a new good radiator in and an external tranny cooler. I was going to do that anyway, so at least it's not something added on

But yea, woot! I can almost taste it!

edit: oh yea, pics tommorow when it's light
    Last edited by seneeb; 04-05-2006, 09:24 PM. Reason: title error
    GMNRadio DJ, Podcast Co-Host
    1984 Ford LTD Crown Victoria - Drag Car.
    99 Ranger 2.5 - Parts hauler and Pit truck.
    03 Mustang 3.8 Convertable - Head Gaskets fukered up
    95 S10 93 Accord

None of my bolts broke either which kinda surprised me. I was expecting at least one bolt for the accessories to snap but not a single one on either the donor engine or the original engine.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

snapped bolts suck. i broke one trying to get the acces plate off to drain my torque convertor. it just made me give up completely.

Comment

None of my bolts never snapped either, I was real suprised to hear some guys had trouble with thier exhaust manifold bolts. Mine came out with out any trouble at all on both my cars.

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
        My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

Well, here's a few pics:

Here we have what I had accomplished yesterday (4/4):

Here we have at the first smoke break:

And here we have at the end of the night. This one the pic quality sucks, I took it about 40 minutes ago and it was darkish out and my batteries are dying in my camera. Plus the flash sucks balls to begin with.

95 S10 93 Accord

Comment

Are you swapping the longblock or just the upper end and electronics?
            Nick
            88 Colony Park LS
            G-pa's old car, but he's cruisin around heaven in his 69 wagon now
            Future plans:Semi HO conversion, or Explorer motor swap, shift kit, PI springs and sway bars, KYB-GR2 shocks

Comment

List of things removed tonite:

Power steering pump
              Altenator
              Brackets for both p/s and alt
              exhaust manifolds
              intake
              cfi unit
              valve covers

That's actually pretty much it for the night. I wanted to get the heads off, but I ran out of light. I might be able to pull those off tommorow, but I have homework and packing to do since I'm going to BFE Tennessee this weekend.

I found it rather interesting that a 9/16, 1/2, 11/16, 5/8 and 8m sockets and the appropriate ratchet and breaker bar is about the only tools you need on this engine!

oh, and the right hammer for the job!

/sen
              95 S10 93 Accord

Comment

Originally posted by 88MercWagon
                Are you swapping the longblock or just the upper end and electronics?

That engine is coming out entirely, along with the tranny. I'm tearing it down in the car as much as possible because of space constraints (my driveway is sloped, not much room for an engine picker). I can lift a 302 with the pistons and crank in, so I may not need a picker, just depends on if i can do it from the car.

I bought these from a feller at werk (pic below). I am rebuilding both from the ground up. They are out of a 84 grand marg. I'm putting the Multiport efi from an 87 mustang gt, worked over heads from a 70's era Windsor mustang (i thought they were gt40 heads, but they're not). The tranny is getting a basic rebuild kit from Norther Auto along with the O/D drum and oneway and a shift kit (and whatever is needed to hook up the tv linkage properly).

The engine will be getting new pistons, rings, bearings blah blah blah. I havent finalized what cam I'm going to use, but it's going to be some form of truck or camper cam for low end torque.
                95 S10 93 Accord

Comment

oh yea, the pic in my sig is the engine in the back of my truck torn down to block
                  95 S10 93 Accord

Comment

Nice work man! Hope all of your plans with the new longblock work out. You have the ranger to drive so dont let time & money hold ya back.
                    -Matt
                    1968 Fairlane 500 - 1998 Camaro Z/28

Comment

Nice!
                      Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                      Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Time for an RV cam!
                        1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                        Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Awsome man, good luck. Keep takin pics as you progress.
                          Nick
                          88 Colony Park LS
                          G-pa's old car, but he's cruisin around heaven in his 69 wagon now
                          Future plans:Semi HO conversion, or Explorer motor swap, shift kit, PI springs and sway bars, KYB-GR2 shocks

Comment

heads are off! has one hell of a ring groove in the cylinders, all even.

pics later
                            95 S10 93 Accord

Comment

Originally posted by seneeb
                              heads are off! has one hell of a ring groove in the cylinders, all even.

pics later
                              This on the old engine? How many miles were on it? My 120k HO block had zero ring groove and visible crosshatch marks still.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                              X