Cold Air Intake Upgrade with HO mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cold Air Intake Upgrade with HO mods

I plan on swapping to the HO upper intake along with the HO TB that I have from a 90 mustang GT along with maybe fabricating a CAI. The stock airbox doesn't seem like its that restrictive, but I have noticed an improvement on other cars. My truck had much more restrictive intakes though, I had to cut part of the sheetmetal next to the radiator since the original intake only had a pin hole to suck air through.
    Current rides - 1991 Ford Thunderbird 3.8 v6 (gas saver/DD) - New Heads/Headgaskets with ARP studs, Air Silencer Delete, 70mm MAF, Plasti-dipped Matte Black with a Silver Metalflake Overlay, Muffler Delete, some LED's, 30.233 MPG for high MPG average!
    2006 Jeep Wrangler 4WD (fun vehicle/backup DD) - 4.0/6spd - too many mods to list.

Associated Panthers:
    Father's 1994 Ford Crown Victoria - Stock, 45,000 miles.
    Sold in 2007 - 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "Grandpa Special" 2 door.
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2128327

This is what I'm running right now. I didn't do any "Before" and After" dyno tests to see if I was making any more power over the stock numbers. The flat, "ribbed for her pleasure" factory air intake looked like one of the "Lost in Space" robot's arms to me.

I used parts from the MAC cold air induction kit. If this inlet tube was extended about 12" and the air filter enclosed, I think it would yield a little more power if it made any difference.

Just my

'90 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    Baseline 5.0L numbers totally stock, 123 rwhp, 239 rwtq
    5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

Originally posted by N A
      This is what I'm running right now. I didn't do any "Before" and After" dyno tests to see if I was making any more power over the stock numbers. The flat, "ribbed for her pleasure" factory air intake looked like one of the "Lost in Space" robot's arms to me.

I used parts from the MAC cold air induction kit. If this inlet tube was extended about 12" and the air filter enclosed, I think it would yield a little more power if it made any difference.

Just my
      You're drawing much warmer air in with that intake than the stock one.
      Nick
      88 Colony Park LS
      G-pa's old car, but he's cruisin around heaven in his 69 wagon now
      Future plans:Semi HO conversion, or Explorer motor swap, shift kit, PI springs and sway bars, KYB-GR2 shocks

Comment

The factory intake was too flat and had too many bends for me. The "new intake" will be better.

5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

Lol
          Nick
          88 Colony Park LS
          G-pa's old car, but he's cruisin around heaven in his 69 wagon now
          Future plans:Semi HO conversion, or Explorer motor swap, shift kit, PI springs and sway bars, KYB-GR2 shocks

Comment

I have installed the HO upper/65mm TB and Bored EGR Spacer,with a custom CAI I fab'ed myself on my stock motor.With the CAI,I deleted my washer fluid/raidiator overflow tank,and cut a hole in the fenderwell which the CAI pipe runs down into and the filter attaches on the other side,making it a true cold air intake which is much less restrictive than the stocker.I also made a splash shield for the filter to protect it better during rainy days.I'm not gonna get into the dyno results because of what happened last time when I did,I'll just say It did make a difference.The HO upper,and 65mm TB and EGR Spacer will also give you a nice gain in throttle responce,the stock lo-po's are quite pitiful and should have never been put on our 302's.Good Luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Custom87
              "...I'm not gonna get into the dyno results because of what happened last time when I did,I'll just say It did make a difference...".
              What happened?

5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

Originally posted by 87mefull
                I plan on swapping to the HO upper intake along with the HO TB that I have from a 90 mustang GT along with maybe fabricating a CAI. The stock airbox doesn't seem like its that restrictive, but I have noticed an improvement on other cars.
                Any improvements in potential air flow with a true CAI will be magnified if you eventially do a head, cam, header, gear, etc... swap. The pitiful factory motor doesn't need all that much airflow potential unless you bolt on a N2O plate.

Comment

Originally posted by N A
                  What happened?
                  :bump:

Custom87, What happened when you got your dyno results?

5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

Working...
                  X