pcv screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pcv screen

is it ok to run without that brass(or whatever it is)screen that goes in lower intake at pcv hole. i removed it when i cleaned manifold and didnt think about reinstalling until after ive put about 1000 miles on this 5.0

Originally posted by fomoco01
    is it ok to run without that brass(or whatever it is)screen that goes in lower intake at pcv hole. i removed it when i cleaned manifold and didnt think about reinstalling until after ive put about 1000 miles on this 5.0
    I have run thousands of miles without the screen. Some of my engines have the PVCC in totaly different locations.
    Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Eh, just get a screen. It's less than 5 bucks at Advance I think.
      '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
      '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

Rather than start a new thread, I'm hijacking this one. :evil:

Why the hell is my PCV grommet loose? It takes minimal effort to remove it. I do mean minimal. I can pull on the valve and the valve and grommet come up as one. I thought when I replaced the PCV valve, the loose grommet would expand over time, but it hasn't. What effect would this looseness have? Is it contributing to my shitty mileage(will be another thread on that)?
        Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

Yea mine was loose too. Put a new one in still kinda loose.

Comment

I just don't remember it being loose when I replaced the valve and grommet on previous boxes.

Comment

Its possible the hole was machined on the large side of the tollerance or the process was a bit out of control or such.

The only plus thing for the modular engines the machine work is way better than the pushrod stuff. If the pushrod engines were machined as well they would have put the mod motors to shame.

Comment

Evil LTD (AKA "The Hijacker"):

you gotta put a new grommet EVERY time you change the PCV valve.

Comment

I did get a new grommet though. That's the part that bothers me. I had thought a little looseness would be ok, but I can literally reach behind there, and using one finger, the valve and grommet come up as one.

Comment

This is the grommet I purchased. Is there another one that would work better?
                    Last edited by Paul_; 08-26-2009, 06:29 PM.

Comment

I think I put some gasket cement around the flange ... the yellow snotty stuff

Comment

Yeah that's the grommet.

I always purchased my grommets from Ford, though ($4), along with "their" PCV valve (no elbow on it).

Maybe that's your problem with looseness?

I mean, mine's not on "tight," but i do have to pull up on it due to the PCV valve's straight shape, and due to the stiffness of the hose pushing down on the top of the valve.

Comment

i changed my pcv once.... not the screen, or the grommet though. its on the back of the intake and its a pain in the dick. but yea, ive got so much back pressure, if i really beat on the car, itll spray a half quart of oil out of the dipstick tube in matter of minutes. its quite messy. cant wait to put regular breathers on the valve covers

grand_marquis_gt: "Wow dude, you got the GMGT sedan!"

there, now im cool too

Comment

If that screen is clogged, that will contribute to the backpressure issue.

I ran mine without a screen for 5000 miles, the upper intake ended up full of oil, and i fouled the intake air temp sensor with oil sludge. New screen, new IAT, and a blast of seafoam fixed it and the stupid idle problem.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Here is my answer to PCV. Notice ported water inlets.
                              Last edited by turbo2256b; 06-06-2006, 03:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X