• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

motor stuf...

how does this stuf sound?

- New Clevite 77 Rod And Main Bearings
    - A Set Of I-Beam Ford Factory Forged Connecting Rods
    - A Set Of Keith Black SILV-O-LITE Pistons (9.5:1 CR with 58cc)
    - High Performance Moly Rings
    - Three Piece Cloyes Street Racer Double Roller High Performance Timing Set
    - Factory Spec Cam (.444 Lift)
    - New Melling Oil Pump

Good for a stock replacement. How much $$? Low mileage used Explorer motors are still the best bang for the buck.

Comment

good stock replace eh...
      hmmm ... i am looking for abit more than stock power lol
      yeah how about geting a new explorer short block??? or long?

Comment

Originally posted by beep_beep
        good stock replace eh...
        hmmm ... i am looking for abit more than stock power lol
        yeah how about geting a new explorer short block??? or long?
        Why would you want to use a factory cam if you want more power? At a minimum, you should use a HO cam with 1.7 rockers. Using factory rods and Hypereutectic pistons is not improving the strength over a factory Explorer shortblock. Most of the time it is more expensive to freshen up a stock motor than to buy a complete Explorer motor.

You would have to call around, but I believe that the new motors are all gone. Used low mileage are still cheap and plentiful.
        What are your power goals?

Comment

If you want a decent streetable car, an exploder longblock (including the intake) and an HO cam with 1.7 RR's would be great, and probably a good budget motor too..
          1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
          Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

that .444 lift cam he is talking about is most likely an HO cam.

I'm with GMGT... Explorer long block, has GT-40p heads, GT-40 intake, 65mm TB, put a HO cam in that long block (explorer cam is pussy). add some 1.7 rockers and you will be all set.

Comment

Where you getting your rods? If you are paying more than $99 without shipping you are getting screwed.
              http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
              http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

The explorer GT-40's need the valvespring upgrade....100 bucks IIRC.

I bought my new 96 motor last year...Dahmer powertrain. 1700 Shipped to my door. Way better deal than a rebuild on my stock motor.
                Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

If you're just gonna run a stock motor there isn't a whole lot of need for better rods or pistons. Stock HO forged pistons are fine. You'd be better spending money on heads than on upgraded rods. Clevite bearings and Melling pumps are good tho.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

just remember guys if you want an explorer motor......change the valve springs.......with the wide ratio in superlinc, the valves are floating at wot in first gear

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

well i really want to have a full on power motor, like a high HP 306 or 327 but i am not sure ... there are so many ways to go about this ...

i have 2 cars with the lopo 5.0 motor and i have 1 - H.O. ,,, they all run and have plenty of life left, but i am not sure what road to go yet

i could just get a new motor or sell the old ones, or just build up the ones i have, or just keep them for a later date ...

SEE MY DELEMA (i cant spell lol)????

Comment

I spent $650 on my 100k Explorer motor and on inspection it showed absolutely no wear. Even still had the crosshatch marks on the cylinder walls.
                        New valve springs are ~$60.
                        2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
                        1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
                        1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

Originally posted by beep_beep
                          well i really want to have a full on power motor,
                          Define "full on power" motor. What are your horsepower/torque goals? An Explorer motor with a cam change is good for over 325HP.

Comment

It doesn't sound like he's thought that into things, Mercracer.
                            beep_beep... just listen to Mercracer. He knows his shit. Explorer GT40 motor (don't bother with the P) and a good cam/valvespring and you'll be rolling hard on a budget.
                            2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
                            1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
                            1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

Mercracer I think is in the 11's with a stock exploder longblock, a TFS cam, and 1.7 roller rockers, and a hit of spray, I think...

But not in a panther, of course...
                              1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                              Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Working...
                              X