H-pipe vs X-pipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H-pipe vs X-pipe

heres another post, might have already been talked about, but what if we talk bout it some more, shall we?? lol, well i dont get the difference between an x and an h pipe. wat are the gains of having each one, and then again what are the loses of each. i know most of you guys have an off road h-pipe. what made you guys go for an h instead of an x? any clearance issues? any problems with ther h or the x with the driveshaft? and well most of you know im doin my whole exhaust again, thats why im asking so many ???'s. i think imma stick wit my flowmasters just do it wit a h or an x. dont know which one, so what do you guys think? length wise, they are both short and a slight extension to the mufflers has to be added so i know about that.any particular brand i should look for? flowmaster, mac, bbk? any other suggestions, concerns, ideas, etc.....

X merges the pulse better and scavenges better. Also a bit quieter. I like the X better.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

kew kew, so how about the brand name? any difference in the makers? quiet huh, well i wanna be heard, nice and loud so would u recommend an h-pipe?

Comment

No idea what mine even is...Mieneke made it.. my exhaust is all custom.

Comment

I have an X-Pipe and original Flowmaster 40-Series mufflers. I LOVE the sound!!! I picked the "X" over the "H" because it's suppose to be more efficient. Cruising in 1, it sounds just like all the 5.0L Mustangs in the area. Obviously no one makes an X-Pipe for our cars. I bought a custom X-Pipe kit and had it welded on. Good luck!!!

'90 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
          Baseline 5.0L numbers totally stock, 123 rwhp, 239 rwtq
          5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

The difference in sound levels between an X and an H probably aren't huge. The difference between cats and no cats is quite large. Catalytic converters are like extra mufflers. There is a difference in different brands in build quality and fitment. David's Lincoln has a Bassani catted X pipe, and my car has a no-brand catted X pipe. His fits very nicely, no clearance issues at all. Mine requires removal of the exhaust to service the transmission because stupidly the cats were placed too far back on the pipe to get the pan out. Its stuff like that you have to look out for. Both of the ones on our cars were designed for automatic trans Mustangs, and require headers to mate up to. It also requires something special for mid pipes, either an S-10 mid or an extended Mustang one.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

well im choosing to go with no cats of course and have free flow exhaust til my flowmaster, im also installing bbks and decided to might as well get a x/h pipe instead of having different weldings all over the place. what also concerns me is when installing my bbks, i noticed that on the passenger side, there are some 1 or 2 extra smaller pipes coming from under the old manifold header. are those gonna have to be removed as well or do i have to purchase another kind of add on to fit the new aftermarket bbks? vaccum lines i believe?

Comment

The piping over on the passenger side doesn't actually go to the manifold. One goes down to the catalytic converters, one goes to the back of the head. The flying saucer things and the rubber lines between them tie all that mess to the smog pump, and there will be 2 thin hard vacuum lines running from this mess to the solenoids on the fender. You can safely gut all that stuff and not worry about it. Belt to keep the AC is a 560k6. Just unbolt the smog pump, plug the 1/4" vacuum line (or pull it back over to where it ties in near the wiper motor and remove it and the T fitting) and plug the thin lines off. Either use a 3/4" rubber pipe cap over the pipe coming around the back of the heads, or get out your skinny hands and remove it, then install a bolt in the holes or cut the plates off the air pipe and install them backwards.

Oh, you'll need to buy Mustang or Mark VII oxygen sensors if you use an H pipe. They're the same as the Vic ones, just they have longer wires.
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The difference between 250K mile cats and no cats is huge, new cats and no cats, not much of a difference.

Comment

great info

1991 Crown Victoria LTD, Puff the Magik Dragon

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73
                      Oh, you'll need to buy Mustang or Mark VII oxygen sensors if you use an H pipe. They're the same as the Vic ones, just they have longer wires.
                      So if I plan to redo my exhaust and buy a new H-pipe then I need a new O2 sensor? If they're the same then why would I need new ones? What if a get a stock dual exhaust from a donor Vic, do I still need a new O2 sensor? What do they cost? So many question, no answers. Obviously no answers, why else would I ask.
                      88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                      Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Originally posted by 88Vic
                        So if I plan to redo my exhaust and buy a new H-pipe then I need a new O2 sensor? If they're the same then why would I need new ones? What if a get a stock dual exhaust from a donor Vic, do I still need a new O2 sensor? What do they cost? So many question, no answers. Obviously no answers, why else would I ask.

You only need Mustang O2 sensors if you use the Mustang H pipe. The reason for this is because on a Mustang, the stock headers don't have holes for the O2 sensors like our manifolds do. The O2 is installed a bit farther back on the H pipe, hence the longer wire. Electrically they are identical, it just has a longer wiring harness. You also can just extend the wiring harness as needed on a standard O2 sensor but generally the O2 sensors aren't suitable to be re-used anyway, and if you have to buy new might as well get the longer wire ones just for easy installation. On a Panther, the H pipe is way back behind the cats. On a Mustang, the H is the cat pipe. So to answer your question, if you use stock Panther dual exhaust stuff, you don't need to change the O2 sensors. They are avaliable at any parts store, and the last ones I bought were about $38 each.

Comment

well i have decided to have a h-pipe custom made for my box. what do you guys think of the price though? this muffler shop is gonna hook me up and keep quiet cuz he's not supposed to take off my cats unless replacing them, but i told him dat i didnt want any cats, and he's gonna custom make da h pipe for my cv out of 2 1/2in pipe, install/weld da nuts/bolts for the O2 sensors, and just connect it to my existing flowmasters, plus install my bbk's all for $220 bucks. the cheapest off road h pipe ive found online is about $150 after all shipping costs and shit. plus ive tried to install da headers myself but i just dont have the tools to do it, and dat just pisses me off. if i had a welding tank and that machine dat bends the pipe and all, id be in business. so wat do you guys think? (look for my new post on power steering)

Comment

So what are you doing here, headers, offroad Mustang H pipe and custom mid-pipes and tailpipes or are you using stock Panther catalytic converter pipes and having a custom H pipe behind them made? Are you using stock or aftermarket headers? I'd also suggest not using 2.5" pipe on a stock motor. Its too big. 2 1/4" should be fine. Too large and you start to lose torque.

Comment

Do whatever you want with the exhaust. I remember my cats-less exhaust on my old '87 IROC use to stink. Ask some other guys here running cars without cats, if their exhaust stinks up the place.

'90 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                              Baseline 5.0L numbers totally stock, 123 rwhp, 239 rwtq
                              5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X