Holley Carb!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holley Carb!!!

Had a guy at work tonight bring me two holley Carbs... one is set up for the automatic Transmission I think... It has an extra "lever" hanging down off of the bottom of the linkage, like the transmission kick down lever??? Not sure what the number is on it... only thing I could see wrong with it is the electric choke is screwed up... looks like someone tried to convert it to manual choke, and failed!!! (Any one have an electric choke replacement??) As soon as I get it cleaned up... I'll post pictures... where is the numbers located on these.. so I can check on a rebuild kit.... I have a local mechanic that is a whiz at these... So he is going to rebuild it for me... All i have left to get for the CFI conversion (IF this carb will work!) is the ignition set up.... I'm going to go with the dura-spark... to try to keep it as stock looking as possible.... Can anyone tell me EXCACTLY what I will need for the ignition change - over... and anything else I may have forgotten??? (Got the intake already...)

Intake
    Carb
    Ignition box
    Distrubutor (Which gear?)

I'm leaving the electric fuel pump in the tank, and removing the high pressure one on the frame... then check fuel pressure, and use a pressure regulator if I have to to bring it down to the right pressure...

Any help is appreciated... first Carburator conversion I have done since High School.... and that was a Quadrajet on my 58 chevy!!!! After that, All thermoquads.... as that is all Dodge and Plymouth ran on policecars!!!!

Tom....
    Last edited by trwp72; 06-11-2006, 11:09 PM.

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
    Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

You will need a pressure regulator. The stock pump will crank like 50 psi or something unchecked. You'll actually need both the pressure and return lines to use for this. Pressure should be around 5 psi if memory serves.

Used carbs are possibly a bad idea, especially Holleys. They get gooped up and don't work right. People only replace carbs because they're screwed up usually. Just something to keep in mind. If your carb guy is good he might be able to make it work if its not in bad shape tho.

You should need a distributor from an 85 Mustang I think. Someone else who has done this will be able to confirm. The stock TFI coil should work fine for this though.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The carb was running when he removed it, he just went to a bigger carb.... It is really clean, the only issue I can see is the screwed up electric choke.. and that can hopefully be replaced... Other than just being dirty... (mostly from sitting on his shelf!) And probably needing a rebuild kit... it SHOULD be ok.... Hopefully!!!!
      My mechanic rebuilt a carb on our old Ford rescue squad... (The Holley/Ford type four barrel) it wouldn't even run... to a smooth running, sweet idling engine.... So he does a good job...
      That truck purred after he got done with it....

Tom....
      Last edited by trwp72; 06-11-2006, 11:41 PM.

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…

Comment

Shouldn't put more that 7 PSI into it, or else it will overtake the float needle, and shoot gas out of the carb, it's happened to me lol
        Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
        Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

This might be useful

5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks Gadget.... I wonder if I will need a Lokar set up tho... My car has an old style metal kick down lever-linkage set up.... NOT the cable style like on the newer cars... and it is adjustable.... (84 model) I would think that once everything is set up on the engine, and hooked up... it could be adjusted to work with the four barrel... Since the bellcrank on the carb of the four barrel will be the same place.... more or less.... and it does have some adjustment on it at the top, and down near the transmission.... Any guesses from anyone??? I guess once we get it together, I will see... and then if it doesn't fit... buy the Lokar kit.... At least it isn't a daily driver, so if I have to wait for the Lokar kit... it isn't any big deal!!!

Comment

I've tried the lever. IT DOESNT WORK.

Get the lokar kit, mang...

Then, you can sell your aircleaner to pete, and buy the mustang one
              1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
              Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Now WHY would I want a Mustang Aircleaner???

Mine will work just fine....
                NOBODY is getting my aircleaner!!!!!
                Any ideas as to why the lever that I have now won't work??? Just wondering....
                Tom!

Comment

I hear CFI aircleaners dont fit carbs, and vise-versa...

Plus, you would need the 5.0 - 4V HO aircleaner....

They are much more plentiful, and pete needs one!

As far as the lever, i've been there and done it. DOESNT WORK.

Don't waste your time, and possibly your trans. do it right...
                  1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                  Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Nope, CFI aircleaners will not fit on a carb. I tried it, the opening for the CFI aircleaner is larger, and there are tabs and shit that get in the way.
                    Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                    Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

I hear CFI aircleaners dont fit carbs, and vise-versa...

Plus, you would need the 5.0 - 4V HO aircleaner....

They are much more plentiful, and pete needs one!
                      Well in case it doesn't fit... he can come up with a 4V one, send it to me, and I'll send him mine.... but it ain't leaving my sight until I see the other one fit it!!!! (I am REALLY good at making adapters... so I know I can make it fit....) I still have to look and see how much difference there is....

Tom!!!

Comment

OK, i cleaned the dust off of the carb... here are the pics...

First... the aircleaner fit...

Sits on the carb right, with no linkage issues that I could see...
                        (The throttle linkage is straight up in this photo... altho it looks like it is hitting the aircleaner, it is not.... About 1/2 inch clearance between the two)

The size opening on the aircleaner is a little bigger... (less than a quarter of an inch) but I can make a ring plate to go on the carb, and then set the aircleaner on it... with some gasket material to seal it up tight... between the aircleaner, the adapter "plate" and the carb....

And here is the Carb...

Of course, it is going to get completely torn down, and cleaned and rebuilt.....
                        Last edited by trwp72; 06-12-2006, 06:54 PM.

Comment

Found the electric choke kit online at JEG's....

Also, I found this picture of the kick down bracket and shaft kit for the 1850, and it is the bracket on my carb... so it does have the automatic transmission kick down bracket already... Wasn't sure if it had it or not... it does.. and even the right one...

So now all I need for that is the Lokar kit, I guess!!!

Tom...
                          Last edited by trwp72; 06-12-2006, 07:49 PM.

Comment

One thing you might run into with that Lokar cable is the lever on the transmission not returning to full closed at idle position on the throttle. We fixed this on Nate's car by installing a carb spring on the transmission hooked directly to the TV lever. Before installing this, it wouldn't shift into overdrive at all, and the shifts were just generally strange and hard to adjust. Installing the spring and re-adjusting the cable got all the gears back where they should be.

Comment

I had that exact carb on my merk when I first did the swap but switched to an edelbrock. I believe its an 80457 (4160 with side hung floats). I would also recomend using a carb spacer because as the motor warms up the fuel can boil and vapor lock. Also I think you need to take off the carb if the fast idle choke is set too fast. The adjustment screw is near impossible to reach with it on.

I'm not sure how high the pressure of the in tank pump is on a Fox, but if you need to cut it down significantly make sure you use a big return line or it wont regulate properly.

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
                              My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

Working...
                              X