signs of fuel pump failure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

signs of fuel pump failure?

What are some signs of a failing fuel pump? Is a noisy pump usually a sign?

Depends I guess. You could get a pressure tester and see how much pressure it's giving. But, if it's noisier than usual it probably is on it's way out
    Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
    Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

usually when the motor dies in the middle of the road and wont start.... thats a good idication the fuel pump died.
      2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
      89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
      88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

...or the TFI module died...
        '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
        '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

I had a fuel pump in one of my cars die in a parking lot. Came out from work and couldnt get the car to start so someone gave me a ride home. Came back the next day, beat on the gas tank with a pipe and she started right up.
          -Matt
          1968 Fairlane 500 - 1998 Camaro Z/28

Comment

When the fuel pump in my truck was dying, it did some weird shit. It would run for almost exactly 5 minutes then would just cease running. You wouldn't be able to restart until a half hour later and you would have to unplug the map sensor (so it would start with an high idle and run rich), spray some starting fluid into the tb, and start it similar to a carbed car. I sold it two days later and it finally stopped running, it needed a new pump, new lines, a new fuel pressure regulator, and a bunch of other shit. I only got $350 for it anyway.

You should be able to tell right away if the TFI is dead, if you unplug it your car will not start. They either work or they don't, there is no inbetween for them and you won't have spark.

When the fuel pump was starting to go in my truck, it was noticeable. It would cut out under or miss badly under load and would run instantly better if I used fuel injector cleaner when I filled up with gas. It was also hard to start and it could barely get enough fuel to start in cold weather.

Panther fuel pumps tend to be noisy, every panther I've been in I could hear the fuel pump when starting the car. I think its a good thing though, if you don't hear it, you know where to look first for a problem.
            Current rides - 1991 Ford Thunderbird 3.8 v6 (gas saver/DD) - New Heads/Headgaskets with ARP studs, Air Silencer Delete, 70mm MAF, Plasti-dipped Matte Black with a Silver Metalflake Overlay, Muffler Delete, some LED's, 30.233 MPG for high MPG average!
            2006 Jeep Wrangler 4WD (fun vehicle/backup DD) - 4.0/6spd - too many mods to list.

Associated Panthers:
            Father's 1994 Ford Crown Victoria - Stock, 45,000 miles.
            Sold in 2007 - 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "Grandpa Special" 2 door.
            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2128327

Comment

The running out of pep at WOT along with hitching and bucking is a definite bad sign. The one in David's car got really quiet before we replaced it, and it was doing the hitching and poor running thing. The one in my car is annoyingly loud.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

My fuel pump is loud! I can hear it inside and outside the vehicle. So far, it's running OK.

'90 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                Baseline 5.0L numbers totally stock, 123 rwhp, 239 rwtq
                5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

Working...
                X