Big problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big problem

I just finished putting everything back together after swapping to the HO intake, tb, changing the valve cover gaskets, etc. I did replace the air tube in the back of the heads also, made sure it fit tight.

Now that its back together, the goddamm car idles at 3000 rpms. I did not adjust the tps yet but I don't know if its just that. The throttle is closed, it just idles at 3000rpms. Does it default to a high setting if its not adjusted properly, I thought it just wouldn't run? It starts right up, just at 3000rpms. Idle screw was backed out all the way both ways, made no difference.

I did plumb my correctly, reversing the vacumm lines, routing the pcv, etc. The gaskets on the upper are sealed tightly, I can't hear or see any leaks. Did you have to reverse the map vacumm plug though, they looked both the same to me?

I do have a big ford racing intake spacer on it though, I don't know if its causing a problem.
    Current rides - 1991 Ford Thunderbird 3.8 v6 (gas saver/DD) - New Heads/Headgaskets with ARP studs, Air Silencer Delete, 70mm MAF, Plasti-dipped Matte Black with a Silver Metalflake Overlay, Muffler Delete, some LED's, 30.233 MPG for high MPG average!
    2006 Jeep Wrangler 4WD (fun vehicle/backup DD) - 4.0/6spd - too many mods to list.

Associated Panthers:
    Father's 1994 Ford Crown Victoria - Stock, 45,000 miles.
    Sold in 2007 - 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "Grandpa Special" 2 door.
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2128327

Sounds like a vacuum leak.

Comment

I left the brake booster line off of mine, car would idle between 1500 and 2000 and pressing the gas did nothing. So i second Ed with it being a large vacuum or air leak.
      http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
      http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Get yourself a spray bottle with some dish detergent to make the water bubbly. Start sprayin while the engine's runnin. Listen for the water being sucked in. Dosen't work? put your hand completely over the throttle body intake while the car's runnin-does this affect rpm? If it does, suspect faulty iac motor, if it doesn't suspect a vac leak @ manifold, brake booster, hvac, or faulty engine to body ground.Also check vac to map sensor.

Comment

More than likely a vacuum leak. What EGR spacer did you use? Idle bypass on right? What I always used for finding leaks was spraying carb cleaner around. That changes the RPM if it gets sucked in somewhere
          Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

I'm thinking big vacuum leak, double check, triple check, I bet you'll find something and slap yourself in the head. Or just light up a cigarette and blow some smoke into the intake via a vacuum line and the smoke will exit via your leak.
            1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

Comment

Originally posted by 89LincolnTWNcar
              I'm thinking big vacuum leak, double check, triple check, I bet you'll find something and slap yourself in the head. Or just light up a cigarette and blow some smoke into the intake via a vacuum line and the smoke will exit via your leak.

That's a good one....for people that smoke LOL

Comment

Mine did that, the upper intake wasn't tight enough. I started snugging the bolts down and the idle came down.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Here's a problem I noticed, if I left the IAC valve a little loose on the tb (not tightened down) and disconnected, I could get the car to run and idle smooth just by adjusting the idle screw. All three of the IAC valves I have are good, so none of them are bad. It ran different once it was tightened down, the car would run rough and then stall. The IAC gasket is on there but I'm wondering if I need an IAC spacer instead. The TPS is fine also, my good old simpson multimeter shows it set at .98 volts.

I redid the PCV system with new hoses even bypassed the HO plug on the corner of the intake, didn't help. Map sensor vacuum lines are fine along with the evaporator canistor lines, I checked all of them, disconncected and reconnected them also. Nothing is wrong with the lines under the upper intake and the pcv valve is tight also.

I used the bored out egr spacer that I bought from Eric, the gasket seemed to fit fine with it also. I used the 72543 gasket to attach it from the upper intake to the spacer and the HO gasket to attach the spacer to the TB. Napa didn't give me the 70262 gasket, it was a similar HO TB gasket. I used a little bit of silcone gasket sealer on both gaskets and it seemed like it sealed tightly. I didn't use alot because I didn't want to risk clogging something up.

I bypassed the coolant lines into the egr spacer to check it out. Although the one coolant line shot coolant a good 2 feet when I disconnected it, something the stock intake did not do when I did the same thing.

I'm going to wait until tommorow to look at again, I adjusted the idle screw so I could drive the car without the IAC connected and its secured on there also. I have a feeling its probably one of the gaskets or my brake booster has failed. I might have someone do a smoke test, using soapy water didn't work.
                  Current rides - 1991 Ford Thunderbird 3.8 v6 (gas saver/DD) - New Heads/Headgaskets with ARP studs, Air Silencer Delete, 70mm MAF, Plasti-dipped Matte Black with a Silver Metalflake Overlay, Muffler Delete, some LED's, 30.233 MPG for high MPG average!
                  2006 Jeep Wrangler 4WD (fun vehicle/backup DD) - 4.0/6spd - too many mods to list.

Associated Panthers:

Comment

Actually the car stopped fine and the throttle worked fine also when I took it for a short test drive. Its probably a gasket leaking vacuum then.

Associated Panthers:

Comment

If you are using the box EGR spacer. If it has been hooged out to 60+ MM. The curcular grove shown in this pic will be almot gone. Were the grove runs out the side it must be pluged. I usualy use a small "pinch on" lead sinker from my fishing gear box and hammer it in the grove.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by turbo2256b; 07-09-2006, 11:54 PM.
                      Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

This is the EGR side if it is hoged out to 60+ MM the sealing land around the bore to EGR passage is so thin it could leak EGR right into the intake at the throttle bore. I have mine welded up so when its bored out the seal land is wider.
                        Attached Files
                        Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

do the smoke test.......sounds like you got the wrong throttle body gasket

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Well, did the smoke test and it had a huge vacuum leak because the IAC wouldn't seal right on the HO throttle body. The holes were stripped or used different bolts from the lopo intake because the bottom bolt would be loose no matter what I did. :nonono:

So, I took off the throttle body to try to see if maybe I needed an IAC spacer or I could find a way to seal it up better. Well, a bolt got stuck as I was taking it off and I ended up shearing it right off the intake. :nonono: So, I had to remove the HO upper, replumb the stock lopo upper, and put everything back together. Checked all the vacuum leaks, fittings, etc. Started the car and it still has a vacuum leak or some other similar problem.

So, I'll have to look at it again tommorow, carb cleaner couldn't find it and I don't smoke. I had my friend who works at a garage do the smoke test and he was closing the shop when I got there. Didn't have time to drive home and drive back, and it barely ran after we tried to fix the intake. Only fix was to put the stock junk back on.

It still runs ok and drives fine as long as you leave the IAC disconnected, and use the idle screw as an adjustment. I'm going to have to look at it again tommorow, not sure where the problem is still. It has to be somewhere behind the intake, I'll probably find it in the next day or so.

Could the intake spacer that I'm using be overkill on a stock lopo motor, its a 1/2 inch ford racing intake spacer for a stock 5.0? Im still using it on the lopo intake. Maybe a short in the IAC wiring, its stretched pretty tight? I can't see any visible shorts and the grounds, the battery, and other systems check out ok. I really don't want to have to pull the upper again if I don't have to, but if the spacer is too much I will.

Associated Panthers:

Comment

Intake spacer won't affect the idle speed so long as its not leaking. If plugging the IAC in makes the idle go high, then something is telling it to open, possibly something wrong with the TPS setting maybe. Has the ECM been reset after moving parts around? If you're using a different TPS, it might mess with the idle settings, or if one is bad it might mess you up too.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                              X