does removing emission stuff effect the engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

does removing emission stuff effect the engine

I was woudering if removing the air pump and cats emission stuff effect the way the 302 runs and does it effect the computer?

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
    302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
    k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

mine runs good no cats no air pump for about 5000 miles.
    1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

Comment

Your computer expects the emissions hardware to be there and is tuned that way. It may run fine without it, but keep that in mind.

'85 2-Door Crown Victoria
      302 HO, -0.022" E7 Heads, Weiand Dual Plane Intake, Edelbrock 1406 Carb, Mechanical Fuel Pump, HEI Distributor, 180* T-stat, Transgo Shift Kit, HO Governor, Lokar TV/Throttle Cable Setup, B&M Torq Master 2000 RPM Stall Converter, FRPP Trans Cooler, Mustang Shorty Headers, 2.25" Dual Exhaust, Flowtech H-pipe (no converters), Hooker AeroChamber Mufflers, Side-exit Exhaust w/ Chromed 2.5" Tips, '02 PI F/R Shocks, Cut 2004 PI Front Springs in the Rear, PI Rear Sway Bar, 17" SAP Wheels, 245/50/Z17 Michelin Pilot A/S Tires, Cold A/C, Cruise Control, 4.10 Rear End Gears, Trac Lok Diff.
      '04 Crown Victoria LX Sport, '02 Jeep Liberty
      '83 Suzuki GS 1100E Motorcycle[/color]

Comment

good to know because in maryland I still have to do emissions once 2009 come I dont have to deal with it but do you still have to twick the computer? or mabey I'll just get a new motor in 2009

Comment

mine runs fine without an air pump or cats

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

mine runs fine with nothing, no pump, cats, smog solonoids, nothin
            jay--1983 towncar, 302v8 cfi, dual straight pipes w/resonators ,edelbrock motor goodies, custom interior, full custom stereo system, full rebuilt trunk audio setup, custom paint...more to come......

Comment

that awsome the engine will still run fine but I still got to keep mine on
              dam maryland emission just last year I had to spend 130.00 on a new egr valve

Comment

id do it, i removed everything as well and the only thing i noticed was more power and a better breathing/ running engine.. there is no delay whatsoever with the throttle now it revs much quicker and sounds insane compared to before plus its much easier to work on since the whole left side of the engine bay is bare.

i first snipped the belt off, removed smog pump, air conditioning/condenser all the hoses brackets and everything else it took me a little time but it was way worth it.
                Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

just make sure you plug any vac lines and the smog hose. NOTE i also removed all the ac since it didnt work anyways.. so im sure i noticed it more because of that and the smog not smog alone.
                  Last edited by cld783; 07-22-2006, 01:48 AM.
                  Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

everything can come of except for the EGR...I'd leave that on. Cats are good for emissions though...Passing the test. Fast passed with the old car wit honly EGR and cats. No smog pump or air tubes.
                    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

I've done away with all the emissions BS besides the cats,I'm keeping those because I don't want my exhaust to be that loud.Engine stills runs the same as before only with a slightly better throttle responce.If you decide to disconnect the egr system,leave the egr sensor still connected with the chrome metal rod in the sensor fully extended out,this will make the ecm believe the egr is still there(only allways closed),and that way it won't start acting up.

Comment

Leave the cats and EGR, dump the smog pump and air pipes. Leave the control solenoids for the diverter valve and cap the lines off. Should cause you no issues. My car passes NJ state dyno test emissions with no trouble with this setup.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Does the exhaust smell bad without the cats? I know that clogged or poisoned cats can smell like rotten eggs, so will it smell like that without them at all? And what does it mean when the cats are "poisoned"?
                          88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                          Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

smells good with no cats imo. Sorta smells like a lawn mower. Got to a car show/cruise and you'll know what I'm talking about.

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
                            My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

i removed everything as well and the only thing i noticed was more power and a better breathing/ running engine
                              Dyno numbers to prove this?

As for the smell without cats, you will have more unburnt fuel exiting the tailpipes, so it will smell a bit more.

~Adam

'85 2-Door Crown Victoria
                              302 HO, -0.022" E7 Heads, Weiand Dual Plane Intake, Edelbrock 1406 Carb, Mechanical Fuel Pump, HEI Distributor, 180* T-stat, Transgo Shift Kit, HO Governor, Lokar TV/Throttle Cable Setup, B&M Torq Master 2000 RPM Stall Converter, FRPP Trans Cooler, Mustang Shorty Headers, 2.25" Dual Exhaust, Flowtech H-pipe (no converters), Hooker AeroChamber Mufflers, Side-exit Exhaust w/ Chromed 2.5" Tips, '02 PI F/R Shocks, Cut 2004 PI Front Springs in the Rear, PI Rear Sway Bar, 17" SAP Wheels, 245/50/Z17 Michelin Pilot A/S Tires, Cold A/C, Cruise Control, 4.10 Rear End Gears, Trac Lok Diff.
                              '04 Crown Victoria LX Sport, '02 Jeep Liberty
                              '83 Suzuki GS 1100E Motorcycle[/color]

Comment

Working...
                              X