Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DerekTheGreat
    replied
    No smoke and it didn't stink! Thumbs up from me. That should be the junkyard trip vehicle, not that pristine '98. Thanks for helping with all that dirt, it's nice to have my truck back again, and riding level!

Leave a comment:

• VicCrownVic
    replied
    Took this car on its first real drive since December when I parked it. About 100 miles today, a bit more than the 4ish mile trips to the store and back that it's been on over the last few months.

Brakes actually felt ok and more like I remember, but probably because I drove it long enough to get used to them. Definitely not as nice as the brakes on the '98.

Long trip with Derek following. Took a load of dirt that he wanted to get rid of up to my parents' place. I didn't want to drive the new car on dirt roads more than I need to so took The Scab. Overall the car did well.

Leave a comment:

• packman
    replied
    That's what my CV was like after I upgraded the brakes on the Ranger; a little bit moreso when I got the '05 MGM. Yet, my Mom had no problem locking up the brakes during a panic stop shortly before taking that car off the road. I still replaced the master cylinder and brake booster when the lopo came out anyways. Hopefully that makes a difference.

Leave a comment:

• VicCrownVic
    replied
    Drove this one the other day when I had to go pick up some meds at the pharmacy. Holy crap, this thing needs some brake work. Need to check the fluid level and check for leaks if it's low. If that looks fine I'll bleed it and go from there. The pedal feels stupid soft. Driving the '98 may have made it more obvious, but I don't remember the feel of this brake pedal sucking so bad when I parked it.

Leave a comment:

• VicCrownVic
    replied
    Power washed all 3 cars today. This one started right up like it always does. Got all the dirt, pollen, and bird crap off then put it back.

Leave a comment:

• VicCrownVic
    replied
    Normally I would have this car back on DD duty since we've had enough rain to wash the salt off the roads and hopefully we're done with salt for the season.
    With the '98 taking over DD duty, The Scab is now backup. I've got some work that needs to be done, but I'm not going to do the work in my driveway and with all the COVID-19 stuff going on I guess I'm stuck waiting to do the work it needs.

I started this one up about a week or two ago when I moved it to power wash my driveway. It started right up like it always does. The engine in the car sure is warn though. Plenty of clattering on startup for the first few seconds. As temperamental as The Ice Car is, that engine doesn't clatter, so perhaps that engine will eventually find its way into The Scab in the next couple of years. We'll see.

Leave a comment:

• DerekTheGreat
    replied
    Ooh. Wow. I'd have been devastated if that happened to my Townie. Would have been "fuck-this-shit-o'clock"

Leave a comment:

• VicCrownVic
    replied
    Oh, I was at a stop light at 16 Mile and Hayes, heading west on my way to work on Wed, 7/17. Light turned green, I was first in line and took off like I normally do then all of a sudden at high-RPM THWACK wheieieieieieieieieien. I should have got a video of the sound the alt made after that fan broke, it was a pretty odd sound. I mean, the thing was basically a cell phone vibrator with the unbalanced fan. I felt no vibration but could certainly hear the effects of it.

At first I had no clue what happened, just knew it wasn't good. Then I saw the mounds on my hood, still didn't know what happened though. Pulled into the nearest place I could, popped the hood (after keying off, I didn't need more shrapnel hitting me) and first thing I noticed was missing blades on the 2G. Continued on my way to work after verifying there was no damage to hoses, battery, radiator, overflow tank, no leaks anywhere. Babied it to keep it from making the weird sound as much as possible since the sound only happened at higher RPM.

I ordered a 3G to go with all the stuff I already had for the swap and drove The Ice Car while I waited for that to show up. Since I was putting a 3G in, I of course had to order a headlight relay harness as well. Both upgrades that should have been done long ago, but oh well they're done now.

Leave a comment:

• DerekTheGreat
    replied
    How'd that happen again? Pics of carnage but no carnage back story...

Leave a comment:

• 87gtVIC
    replied
    Wow. That messed up the hood big time.

Leave a comment:

• VicCrownVic
    replied
    Finally installed my 3G alternator on Saturday, and installed my headlight relay harness today. Now both cars have these two upgrades done.

Here's some more pictures of the carnage:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20190722_190605.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	1285645

Name:	20190722_190608.jpg
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	1285646

Name:	20190722_190611.jpg
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	1285647

Name:	20190722_190618.jpg
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	1285648

Name:	20190727_185452.jpg
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	1285649

And a couple pics of my new alternator:

Name:	20190727_191631.jpg
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	1285650

Name:	20190727_191646.jpg
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	1285651

Leave a comment:

• DerekTheGreat
    replied
    Reminds me I still have my original 2G from my '88. Would make cool wall art I suppose.

Leave a comment:

• VicCrownVic
    replied
    That's what everyone at work said when I showed them. Best I can figure is I think this was a reman AZ replacement I got for my '89 around 2011 and it must have had a problem that finally could not hang on any longer.

I can see where it hit the upper radiator hose, but didn't even break the surface of the hose.

I checked the battery and radiator to make sure there was no damage to those. No leaks from anything and I continued on my way to work this morning and drove home after work.

It makes all kinds of cool sounds at higher RPMs now. Hopefully the strange sounds go away when the busted alternator gets replaced. Just ordered the new 3G now and driving The Ice Car until that gets here next week.
    Last edited by VicCrownVic; 07-17-2019, 11:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Kodachrome Wolf
    replied
    Now just exactly how does one break off the 2G's cooling fan blades like that? That must have made some really cool noises when it came apart.

Like you said, good excuse to roll up to the 3G.

Leave a comment:

• VicCrownVic
    replied
    WTF Click image for larger version

Name:	imagejpeg_0.jpg
Size:	182.1 KB
ID:	1285581

I'll get some pics of the hood later, it has some battle scars.
    Good enough excuse to 3G upgrade this car. I had all the parts a few years ago until The Ice Car needed a new 3G. As soon as I get the alternator I'll have everything I need for the 3G swap again.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X