PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: My Ma's 1986 Crown Victoria LX

Don't do the floor shifter. They look chintzy.

Mustang Eddie was parking out an 89. Probably has one if he still has the car. http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...ht=#post850445

I have half of one. I cut it when I pulled an engine/trans in the junkyard. I don't think half will do you any good.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Member of the Orb Alliance packman's Avatar

If you cut the rod (the one hanging off the side of the AOD in the pic) in half; then I guess not. I chose not to cut the rod and instead, cut the bushing holding the rod to the linkage body. I just can't figure out why I failed to remove the rod from the transmission.

I called an audible and got the braided dipstick instead of the hard tube dipstick. I worked from home yesterday as I was scheduled to take the J&J vaccine on Wednesday morning. Since I had a few hours in the morning before that appointment, I slid underneath the Crown Vic and installed the braided dipstick. I had to play around with it quite a bit; threading it in and back out until I got the angle correct and wasn't in danger of cross-threading. I had to remove the bracket that was attached to the dipstick as it was too high to attach to one of the header bolts. I had to unthread the hose end to remove the bracket; and when I did that, I noticed tiny aluminum specs from unthreading. Since my Harbor Freight compressor is down; I had to use what little was left in my air tank to blow anything out of the braided hose. Then I reattached the dipstick to the oil pan and washed it out with WD-40. I hope I removed that material.

After the vaccination, I was still feeling spry despite the sore shoulder. So I went back out and got a good look at the dipstick; and figured out that I will get a 3/8 x 4"L stud for one of the primary# 3 bolts to use with a tube clamp in order to hold the dipstick in place. Also, I will replace most of the header bolts with grade 8 allen head bolts. They are easier to install and tighten down; especially the no. 4 cylinder in the rear of the driver side. I also had some heat shielding leftover from the fuel line install and slipped that over the dipstick hose in an attempt to keep the header heat away. We'll see how that works.

Did a few small things to the CV today. I had meant to crawl under and hammer the floor pan, but just didn't feel like doing that. So I worked up top with some odd and end stuff. Installed the Painless 70A fuse for the fan and ran power to where the battery+ terminal will be. I finally got sick of looking at my battery tray/tool tray/trash tray and cleaned it up.

After that I moved over to the upper radiator hose and wrapped it with heat shielding in the area that contacts the fuel hose; also wrapped the fuel hose as well. That should keep the heat away.........hopefully.

Since I work slowly, the sun had set at that point. As I was packing up, I found my eyes looking at the old charge cables and signal wire (yellow/white stripe wire). So I stopped and grabbed the box cutter and cut a ton of electric tape off of the wiring harness in order to separate those wires. It was getting dark as I wire loomed the remaining wires. Just got in 45 minutes ago. Sometime this week I will get a look and see what kind of progress/damage I made.

Pics

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0889.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	56234 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0890.jpg 
Size:	144.2 KB 
ID:	56231 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0892.jpg 
Size:	110.8 KB 
ID:	56232 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0893.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	119.4 KB 
ID:	56233
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by packman; 05-02-2021 at 09:03 PM.

I'm going to be replacing the hex-head header bolts with these allen bolts. Like any other header bolt, I will be retightening them for a bit; but they are much easier to deal with than trying to get wrenches in between the primaries.

I also got 1.5" long versions of these for the header collector flanges, X-pipe flanges, and the cutout flanges.

I also also got M8 x 1.00 bolts for the fan pulley; I'm hoping that will work.

Name:	IMG_0896.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	52.8 KB 
ID:	56250
    Last edited by packman; 05-07-2021 at 09:11 AM.

So that was a fail. The allen bolts that I got for the headers was the wrong thread size. The allen bolts I got for the exhaust flanges and header collectors fit into the heads though. When I double checked the header bolts that came with the headers; against a 3/8-16 nut; they threaded in, but there was a little slop or wiggle. So now I am wondering if the TFS Twisted Wedge heads are metric threads instead of the standard 3/8"-16 thread size that I am used to dealing with.

So as not to have totally wasted the little good weather I had yesterday; I unraveled the wire loom and duct tape I had covering the 175A inline fuse for the alternator charge cable; and replaced it with heavy-duty heat shrink. I also cleaned up the terminal end of the charge cable and heat-shrinked that too.

Pics

Name:	IMG_0897.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	56259 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0898.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	166.8 KB 
ID:	56260

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819