PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 254 of 255 FirstFirst ... 154204244252253254255 LastLast
Results 5,061 to 5,080 of 5093

Thread: My 1987 Two Door Crown Victoria AKA THE BROWN BLOB

Picked up some seats from Slack's 89 last week. They were complete, tear free and in the color I was looking for. SOLD SOLD SOLD...now the fun began of cleaning them and swapping on all the good bits from my seats.

Before cleaning:

This is what they are replacing:

Seat covers over my tearing leather seats.....it worked well for many many years...since at least 2008 or so but I wanted something better...stock looking...

These are what the covers are hiding:

Drivers side:

Passengers side:

and rear:

And the "new" to me seats after cleaning and installed:

Drivers side:

Passengers side:

They cleaned up just fine using super clean, a drill brush, a steamer and a bissell spot cleaner professional. Quite happy.....

Rear seats were a simple r and r.

Passengers side seat I had to swap on my power seat track, swap the two door hinge on as well as swap on my fancy trim bits.

Drivers side took 6 hours to swap over everything.... lol

I ended up using my stock 87 seats upper and lower frame and installing the new to me covers onto them. My lower frame had a bunch of mounting provisions for "cassetter" and fire extinguisher mounts that I did not want to recreate. The upper frame was also straighter...the one from the 89 was bent backwards toward the passengers side of the seat. I also swapped over a thick piece of padding that was under my 87's lower seat foam...I also added some foam to the side of the 89's bolster from the 87 and shaved and glued it into place to help give it some life again on that side just above the power seat controls. Again, I am so happy with how everything turned out.

More pictures in the video below:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4015.jpg   IMG_4010.jpg   IMG_4008.jpg   IMG_3995.jpg   IMG_3987.jpg  

IMG_3981.jpg   IMG_3980.jpg   IMG_3973.jpg   IMG_3970.jpg   IMG_3969.jpg  

~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

this is why I'm not a big fan of leather. Still kicking myself for not harvesting those cloth Conti seats years ago when I found a parts car. Stupidly I didn't since the rear seat frame had been bent, didn't even consider that I could simply transfer the cloth over to my frame. They were the correct color and all.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Agreed on the no leather. It just doesn't age well in the 1980+ stuff. Read an article yesterday about a barn find 1960's Continental Limo and they were able to revive the leather. I guess the newer stuff is thinner. It just seems to rip.

David, these look much better. I don't see many Vics with them. It's always great when good parts can go on a good car to continue to be used. I like this way of being green instead of the Prius route.
    Last edited by Tiggie; 06-20-2021 at 09:27 PM.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

fomoco panthers !

Your "new" seat look fantastic. Good job cleaning. The seats really refresh the car.

That swap looks like it went over quite well. Certainly fit the interior nicely. Like the '88-'89 headrests, definitely more usable for comfort and maybe a bit more for safety if anything bad ever did happen.

I'll admit I enjoy leather as both of my cars have them, but maintaining it properly is the biggest thing most folks don't do. They definitely need regular cleaning and conditioning to keep them in good shape.

My Cars:
    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Awaiting Resurrection
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (222K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggie View Post
    Agreed on the no leather. It just doesn't age well in the 1980+ stuff. Read an article yesterday about a barn find 1960's Continental Limo and they were able to revive the leather. I guess the newer stuff is thinner. It just seems to rip.
    I don't know that its so much thinner as that its not good quality. I'm not completely sure its really proper leather in the sense that its the skin of a dead cow. It seems more like a semi-synthetic "pleather". Whatever it is, its awful if not extremely well cared for.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Seats look great. Again, glad you could save them and find a use for them. I wasn't aware your original seats were in such bad shape. I swore off leather for good around 10 years ago with my 87 Fleetwood. The leather was starting to get crunchy but on top of that, it's always hot and sticky in the summer if you don't have AC (which probably doesn't help the leather not get crunchy... baking at 150 degrees... ).

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Yep, I dislike leather too. Have since I was a kid who endured two hour drives with grandparents while passing time by peeling my legs off the leather seats of their '93 Crown Victoria.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Yeah, I've had to come to terms with leather seats on my Beemer. It's the hottest summer right now and the car and seats are black... Though for leather seats they are definitely not the worst, it seems to breathe just a bit and I'm not too sunken into them.
    My parents new car's nappa leather seats are absolutely horrible, you get sweaty in 10 minutes.

I feel like there's a difference between newer leather, old leather and old old leather. You folks probably know how leather seats feel in like 60's cars, leather feels thick and not very supple and as if it might be brittle. (box panther leather seems to be in the in this category).
    Then there's the newer old leather, 90's and so on, Grand Cherokees, big Mercedes, those pillowy, soft and supple leather seats that are really well cushioned.
    And finally the "new" leather, kinda hard and almost rough feeling, firm seats and so on.

You went with your old armrests (covers?), any reason? Those armrests from slack's seats looked fine to me. Or are the armrests hard to remove from the top part fo the seat frame you mentioned?
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
    2008 BMW 530d Touring, "Femma"

fomoco panthers !

Speaking only from a USA perspective. The EPA changed the way leather was processed. Less toxic chemicals have to be used. The standards defining what "leather is" has changed. If you are sweating on leather seats, it is not real leather. Bonded leather which are leather scraps mixed in with vinyl is the cheapest leather available and widely used. It should not be called leather. It is crap, does not last long and cracks. The underbelly of the cow is the best hide and most expensive. The other parts of the hide are tougher. Hides that are not even cows are not being used and marketed as "leather" most of that comes from overseas. So the quality due to mass production and how long we keep vehicles has made a difference in accountability with auto manufactures. The prices of leather interiors are not worth the cost for the quality you get.

Quote Originally Posted by Arquemann View Post
    ...You went with your old armrests (covers?), any reason? Those armrests from slack's seats looked fine to me. Or are the armrests hard to remove from the top part fo the seat frame you mentioned?
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by Arquemann View Post

You went with your old armrests (covers?), any reason? Those armrests from slack's seats looked fine to me. Or are the armrests hard to remove from the top part fo the seat frame you mentioned?
    This.
    They are indeed fine. I have "LTD" stitched into them so I am quite fond of them. Plus it helps tie the seats back into the door panels.

They are extremely easy to remove and replace if I decide to do to so.

Also thanks everybody for the compliments. I am very pleased with the end result.
    ~David~

Member of the Orb Alliance packman's Avatar

Very nice! Some reason I thought your original seats were in better shape; or perhaps I was mistaken.

I hated vinyl and leather in my younger days when I still wore shorts. So painful in the summer heat.

I post a lot...

Looks much better! Nice job.

Quote Originally Posted by packman View Post
    Very nice! Some reason I thought your original seats were in better shape; or perhaps I was mistaken.

I hated vinyl and leather in my younger days when I still wore shorts. So painful in the summer heat.
    Thanks. The seat covers I had made things look pretty good. I did a good job (at least in the front as the covers fit entirely) at masking them.

Quote Originally Posted by tjc78 View Post
    Looks much better! Nice job.
    Thank you.
    ~David~

Went for the first drive with the new to me seats. Just so darn happy with how much more complete a set of factory seats makes the interior look.

Quick shot of the back:

Had some weepage from the master cylinder cap. Picked up a dorman help part (only part sold by rockauto even) 42098. Looked identical to the original caps seal so in it went. Looked dry around the reservoir after the first drive. Fingers crossed. Was sneaking out under the cap and down the sides and slowly collecting on the seam of the reservoir.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4028.jpg   IMG_4027.jpg  
    ~David~

Oh yes! The seat covers were nice (i hate personally seat covers), but I always thought they were holding your interior back from its full potential. Love that you found these seats!
    -Phil

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Edelbrock 1906 Carb+ RPM Intake, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

I was always curious what the seats looked like under those covers!

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
    The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Quote Originally Posted by SVT98t View Post
    It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

...a kid who endured two hour drives with grandparents while passing time by peeling my legs off the leather seats...
    Same.
    Add sliding across the seat and smashing on the side like a runaway case of beer in a truck bed..when my uncle 'Armor-Alled' the entire inside of his Giant cars.

Nice to see those survivor seats getting new farts installed. They look great.
    All FORD All The Time

Quote Originally Posted by clutch47 View Post
    Same.
    Add sliding across the seat and smashing on the side like a runaway case of beer in a truck bed..when my uncle 'Armor-Alled' the entire inside of his Giant cars...
    LoL we'd take advantage of that whenever grandpa drove. Give ourselves headstarts at the onset of a turn and then smash into each other. No seatbelts or car seats.
    Quote Originally Posted by clutch47 View Post
    ...Nice to see those survivor seats getting new farts installed...

Page 254 of 255 FirstFirst ... 154204244252253254255 LastLast