PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!

Thread: 1989 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Station Wagon

Default 1989 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Station Wagon

88 Country Squire
    86 Colony Park, non-op'd
    89 Mark VII LSC, non-op'd

that one looks CLEAN too.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Southern

I'd love to have that wagon.
    -Nick M.
    Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 (2x) TC, 06 TC, 07 TC
    03 BMW 540iT, 04 Ford F150 4.6 XLT Reg cab, 8ft bed

fomoco panthers !

I know that area. That car will be gone fast as the farm workers love those cars. It will suffer a slow painful death.

Here's one a lot closer to you:
    http://maine.craigslist.org/ctd/5105123218.html

88 Country Squire
    86 Colony Park, non-op'd
    89 Mark VII LSC, non-op'd

Quote Originally Posted by tikitiki65 View Post
    Here's one a lot closer to you:
    http://maine.craigslist.org/ctd/5105123218.html

That stealership probably payed a grand for it. Wouldn't be surprised to see that thing sitting on the lot for a few years at that price.
    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

fomoco panthers !

That is a beautiful low mileage wagon. It may sit there for a while as most people here don't appreciate anything over 10 years old. I may have to drive down a see it. I have to take my Subaru down there to Ziebart for the undercoating touch up anyway.
    Still considering that 2 dr black and red CV without AC in Canada.

Land Yacht Fundamentalist Hearsesrock427's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pantera77 View Post
    That stealership probably payed a grand for it. Wouldn't be surprised to see that thing sitting on the lot for a few years at that price.
    This. I'd offer them $2500-$4000 cash money in a year or two and see if they're smart enough to take it.
    Last edited by Hearsesrock427; 07-06-2015 at 01:35 AM. Reason: Added some context.
    '89 Grand Marquis "Ebyt"
    '85 Grand Marquis "Eva"
    '94 Caprice "Kira"
    '92 Crown Victoria "Krista" coming soon.
    '88 Town Car "Lana" coming summer 2021

Quote Originally Posted by pantera77 View Post
    Word. I don't buy the low mileage bit either, just look how dirty the driver's seat is compared to the passenger seat, not to mention how rusty all that crap is under the hood and that shitty battery terminal job, can't stand those cheapo 5 dollar connectors. Crappy dual exhaust job too, least it doesn't look factory to me. My 90k mile 1988 TC looks mint in comparison. Don't know anyone who'd shell out close to 6k for one of those, only way I could see it going for that much is it looked showroom new.
    Last edited by DerekTheGreat; 07-06-2015 at 07:12 AM.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Play me something funky! marquisman's Avatar

Something about that car. I have a funny feeling, it is hiding some underside rust. The frame looks like it has been recently undercoated with rubber. Also, you can see rust on the front fender lip and under hood parts are rusty.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Proud Owner Of A 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis! miamibob's Avatar

As "Cheap Pete" (Chris Rock) used to say, "Good LOORD...das alotta money"!!!! "Hows 'bout I gives ya .69 cents and you just let me sniff the interior"!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by marquisman View Post
    Something about that car. I have a funny feeling, it is hiding some underside rust. The frame looks like it has been recently undercoated with rubber. Also, you can see rust on the front fender lip and under hood parts are rusty.
    Good ole dealer trick for ya! Surprised it wasn't listed as "Elderly owned."

Quote Originally Posted by miamibob View Post
    As "Cheap Pete" (Chris Rock) used to say, "Good LOORD...das alotta money"!!!! "Hows 'bout I gives ya .69 cents and you just let me sniff the interior"!

Juding from that driver's seat it would probably smell like farts.

fomoco panthers !

Regarding the undercoating. That is Ziebart. My two cars that have Ziebart look like that. If you look at the inside of the door and other panels, extra holes are drilled, Ziebart is sprayed inside and the holes plugged. That is blue plugs. It must be touched up every year for the warranty to be good. As far as under the hood. That is GOOD for a Maine car ! 2 year old cars look like that. I agree on the lack of quality work on the exhaust. One of my Lincolns had the dual exhaust rot through from the TOP last winter. Looked perfect from the bottom. Whole top on both mufflers were totally rotted away. Pipes were fine. For me to consider buying any used car in Maine, it would have to be exceptional. I have been burned once, Never again !!
    What catches my eye is the odometer. if you look at the first digit it is set back from the others. Because of the odometer rollback problems that were popular in years past. Federal regulations made changes to how odometers had to be made.
    I am going to have to do more research however from what I remember if the odometer went over 100,000 miles, the first digit set itself back from the others. The similar thing happened if the odometer was rolled back. Of course there are ways around everything. I do know that all my cars that have over 100,000miles have the first digit set back. At 200,000 miles no other digits set back.
    It is possible the car could have low(but not that low) miles. Many rich people in southern Maine have estates. The people only live in the homes 3-5 months of the year. We know someone that only lived in their estate for three weeks one year. The car only is used during that time the owner is in town.

When in doubt, walk away.

If I see any sort of rust bubbling or flaky cancer on the frame or crusty brake lines I walk. I made a partial exception with that GMC we bought because it was the only regular cab, single rear wheel 3500 454 4speed I've ever seen. It's not crusty at all but the passenger side cab corner's paint is starting to flake off so rot has started from within. Floor pans, doors & edges are mint and the frame is not far behind that. To get one cleaner it would've had to been a no winter garage queen or from down south or out west. It's been a lot of work though and there's still stuff to do on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainemantom View Post
    Regarding the undercoating. That is Ziebart. My two cars that have Ziebart look like that. If you look at the inside of the door and other panels, extra holes are drilled, Ziebart is sprayed inside and the holes plugged. That is blue plugs. It must be touched up every year for the warranty to be good. As far as under the hood. That is GOOD for a Maine car ! 2 year old cars look like that. I agree on the lack of quality work on the exhaust. One of my Lincolns had the dual exhaust rot through from the TOP last winter. Looked perfect from the bottom. Whole top on both mufflers were totally rotted away. Pipes were fine. For me to consider buying any used car in Maine, it would have to be exceptional. I have been burned once, Never again !!
    What catches my eye is the odometer. if you look at the first digit it is set back from the others. Because of the odometer rollback problems that were popular in years past. Federal regulations made changes to how odometers had to be made.
    I am going to have to do more research however from what I remember if the odometer went over 100,000 miles, the first digit set itself back from the others. The similar thing happened if the odometer was rolled back. Of course there are ways around everything. I do know that all my cars that have over 100,000miles have the first digit set back. At 200,000 miles no other digits set back.
    It is possible the car could have low(but not that low) miles. Many rich people in southern Maine have estates. The people only live in the homes 3-5 months of the year. We know someone that only lived in their estate for three weeks one year. The car only is used during that time the owner is in town.
    Thing is, looks like someone scraped the rust down, then hit it with undercoating. You can see the shadow of two creators under the undercoat, showing through. Plus, the frame would not look that good, if the fender has rust. All fresh touch up work, it looks.

Then it's gonna rust up mighty quick then. Undercoating on top of bare steel or semi rusted steel? No bueno when you throw moisture at it, not to mention moisture with salt. I'd be curious enough to take a razor blade & grid to check adhesion, to ASTM D3359 ADHB standards. No adhesion, no corrosion performance.

Reason it caught my attention is, people do that a lot here in the north. A lot of people fall for the trick too., when buying a vehicle.

fomoco panthers !

I will go down to check it out. It is not that far away. It will be good exercise for one of my rust free Ca. cars. Maybe I can get them to put it on a lift.

Quote Originally Posted by marquisman View Post
    Reason it caught my attention is, people do that a lot here in the north. A lot of people fall for the trick too., when buying a vehicle.
    Oh ok, thought you were in support of the guy lol.. I see that a lot around here too, especially with those beater car lots, doubt they even sand blast or grind anything away, just simply spray the rust black.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainemantom View Post
    I will go down to check it out. It is not that far away. It will be good exercise for one of my rust free Ca. cars. Maybe I can get them to put it on a lift.
    You're just going to have fun with the guy, right? I hope so anyway.

Told ya everything I know when I said hello P72Ford's Avatar

Steering wheels looks a little too worn.

Wonder if it has the original plug wires, etc?
    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 17K Cruiser
    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, 76K Daily Driver
    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 7K Poseur HD Rider
    **2014 Ram 1500 QCSB Express: 4WD Hemi/ 8spd TF/ 3L21/ Exhaust/ Cosmetics, 39K Truck Duties