PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: broke down. what to check first?

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

the TFI tool pictured has the proper size hole in the end of it. Its basically a single-size finger ratchet, minus the ratchet. Most sockets are too fat to get into the TFI module, otherwise a finger ratchet would work. =Most of the time, even that tool is too big to fit without spinning the distributor around.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Proud Owner Of A 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis! miamibob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by miamibob View Post
    I included the photo of the last tool because sometimes you can get in there without removing the dizzy. The finger ratchet may not enough clearance.
    "The finger ratchet may not HAVE enough clearance". Sorry for leaving out "have" originally. Yes, English IS my first language!!!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

FYI: the finger "ratchet" doesn't actually ratchet. It's a solid part

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Proud Owner Of A 1987 Mercury Grand Marquis! miamibob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post
    FYI: the finger "ratchet" doesn't actually ratchet. It's a solid part
    True 'nuff!!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

They do make them with ratchet mechanisms. Not sure the purpose, but it exists.

5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Exactly the same thing happened to me today, while i was driving, the car was coasting down like you turn the ignition off while driving. So i pulled the gear lever into N and rolled out on the driveway side. Called a friend who pulled me to the shop where i can use the equipment, we tested the MSD coil which i built in half a year before… so no spark when we grounded it manually… put a coil from a wreked fox-mustang in, and it fired right up (engine was hot at this moment). Today we had 40°C and the AC was running - first i thought it was the TFI module, but luckily it wash´t.
    btw: now i got the chance to do a HO conversion
    Living in a Box

Quote Originally Posted by Chris84 View Post
    we tested the MSD coil which i built in half a year before… so no spark when we grounded it manually… put a coil from a wreked fox-mustang in, and it fired right up
    Those newer MSD coils are known for failing, I've heard numerous horror stories about them.
    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

I know some of the Mustang guys say it stands for Might Suddenly Die. I've been running an MSD clone for years. I think it came from Summit or Jegs. Pretty sure its just your standard replacement coil but with red plastic. Looks exactly like any parts store coil other than the color. Its also been on the car probably 8 years now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12