PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 25333435

Thread: My 1987 Mercury Colony Park

Is the only difference on '90-'91 vs earlier door panels that speaker grille? I want to learn, I want to know it all! All the little things! All the things!
    I don't mind my door panels but I've seen those super ornamental ones which are really cool.
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
    2008 BMW 530d Touring, "Femma"

IIRC... That speaker housing was the premium sound door speaker. 88-91 also had the option of a door pocket when the normal sound system with dash speakers was used.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

2 decades of DDing Box Panthers, now in a Whale VicCrownVic's Avatar

Standard sound system '90-'91 had those speaker housing pods. Premium had the same pods with a "Premium Sound" emblem on them in the spot where the standard sound pods had "Stereo" stamped. The optional door pockets were probably not an option starting in '90 because of the new speaker pod design. Dash speakers went away in '90 and you only got the door speakers.
    Vic

~ 1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "The Scab" - plenty of rot, summer DD
    ~ 1997 GMC Yukon - wannabe winter DD - returning sometime in the 2020s, I finally have an engine
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis GS "The Ice Car" - Rotting Retired Winter DD
    ~ 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis GS - Rotting Retired DD
    Gone but not forgotten:
    ~ 1988 Country Squire ~ 1987 Ford Crown Vic

Quote Originally Posted by Arquemann View Post
    Is the only difference on '90-'91 vs earlier door panels that speaker grille? I want to learn, I want to know it all! All the little things! All the things!
    I don't mind my door panels but I've seen those super ornamental ones which are really cool.
    Another thing to keep in mind is on cars with vent windows, the first 11 inches of the dew wipe is cut off for the vent window assembly. If you find a set of used door panels and they have been cut, they won't work for a car without vent windows. WagonMan
    1990 Colony Park
    1970 HEMI Superbird

Quote Originally Posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    I like the cloth look. Wish I pulled a set back in 09 when I had the chance. Same color and all for my two door.

Looking great.

Did you have to drill/file out square some holes for the two pegs of the speaker pods on the 90/91 pod to fit into the door?
    So one of the two upper holes for the pegs are already present, at least on an early '87 car. I did trim off the other peg though since I wasn't drilling a large hole like that. The little clip end of the peg was kinda tired on both, so I shimmed them with a piece of paper between the tabs, so they latched well. I did have to drill two small holes for the screws at the bottom. Overall, they fit nicely and don't move around/rattle, so I'm good with that.

Quote Originally Posted by WagonMan View Post
    Another thing to keep in mind is on cars with vent windows, the first 11 inches of the dew wipe is cut off for the vent window assembly. If you find a set of used door panels and they have been cut, they won't work for a car without vent windows. WagonMan
    I had to trim these since I don't think vent windows were available after '89. That said, this wasn't a factory vent window car though. The biggest tell is proper vent window cars have some extra bolts on the exterior of the door frame along the A-Pillar, but that wasn't done when these were swapped in (not a fan of having to drill a bunch of extra holes), however I haven't had any issues with them being fitted like that. They fit snugly in the channel and are retained with a single bolt in a factory location within the door itself.

So two things happened today: 1.) The driver's window came back to life along with the speaker. Didn't do anything, it just worked this morning when I left for work, and was still going when I went home. Weird, but okay. Passenger side doesn't go, so still gotta test that; 2.) The radio doesn't like the heat. It'll work for a minute or two, and then it's out. Doesn't matter how much you fiddle with it, it won't go. Shame since it looks kinda neat, but I like my tunes, so I'll have to find a replacement.

My Cars:
    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Awaiting Resurrection
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (222K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Door panels look nice. Sad news on the radio. I was hoping it would get ironed out and work. On high mileage vehicles, I have seen the wires break in the door jamb. Sometimes they have enough contact to work, other times not. Might be something to check.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

fomoco panthers !

You could have the radio rebuilt. Finding a good used without any problems is getting harder to find. I have allot of radios. I used to be able to test them as I used to have the connectors. Would be nice to get rid of these radios.I just hate to sell something I am not sure works right.

The wagon has temporarily lost its garage space while I'm working on this '99 CV, so it gave me an excuse to drive it. It started kinda funny in the morning and the engine bogged down before it caught back up, and it did it right as the A/C compressor engaged. Ran fine to work. Fired it up to go home for lunch, and everything was cool until I was turning into the neighborhood and the AMP light came on. I pull into the driveway and break out the multimeter and I catch a whiff of overcharging battery.

Damn alternator is putting out 19.6V! I just installed a brand new one a few months ago. I'm wondering if that voltage was enough to get the AMP light to illuminate since it wasn't as bright as KOEO. Anyway, that's gonna be a warranty swap. Might get a replacement this weekend, so I'm just cruising the '97.

Also, totally unrelated, I checked the ECU for codes a few weeks ago and the EGR and VSS were coding out for no activity. Dumb question, but does a '88+ Mark VII ECU need a VSS+/- feed piped to it to make the EGR work properly? If it does, I'll grab a ECU pin out, get some donor pins, and go tap the VSS feed and get that going to make it happy.

My Cars:
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (222K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

Yes. I don't know why exactly, but the EGR doesn't work right with no VSS on an 88+ ECM.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    Yes. I don't know why exactly, but the EGR doesn't work right with no VSS on an 88+ ECM.
    Cool, that's what I need to know. I guess I'll find a harness at the junkyard next time and steal some pins from one unless someone has a EEC-IV connector laying around.

Went to check the alternator situation, and that sumbitch dead. Battery registered 0.13v, so that alternator is definitely shorted out. Guess I'll haul that stuff to work tomorrow and get replacements. If this happens again with the alternator, I'll likely go back to a 3G unit. I only find it surprising that it's not playing nice here, despite the fact I've 6G swapped the '97 from its factory 3G and its been very reliable.

My Cars:

I remember going through the EGR / VSS thing on my car. Tried for a long time to figure out why it never worked like it should, asked questions, got nothing but crickets. Finally figured it out, basically I connected the VSS to see what it would do because I was totally out of ideas. Posted my findings, and of course got that one smarmy dickbag responding "well of course its required, only an idiot doesn't know that, blah blah blah".

the specific problem I had was the EGR wouldn't open when driving. It would pass a self-test. I don't remember if it set codes though. When I fixed the wiring, the EGR went full open just off-idle. That was a sticky EVR. A snort of WD40 in the solenoid got that to behave, but I did replace it. Now the EGR works and doesn't make the engine stumble.

5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Found this...looks like the radio you had..

from this ebay add: https://www.ebay.com/itm/27470432844...EAAOSwpe5gPnkC
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

fomoco panthers !

I have one of those radios from an 84 LTC. I bought the LTC at a salvage auction around 1989. That was the first thing I got out of it. Stereo has been in storage since. I should sell it.

Every time I start a project...

Anyway, back at the radio project again with the analog tuner AM/FM Stereo model. This one works fine, no weird shutoffs or anything, and after working the balance slider a fair bit, that seems to have started working without fuss. Of course though, this radio is the common ground style, so there's gonna be some weirdness going on as I magic stuff together. After salvaging the connectors I swapped onto the electronic unit, I matched everything accordingly for output based on how things were wired originally, save for the fact that all the return wires travel to a central point.

It makes noise like one desires from a radio, but some of the speakers sound great, but some sound muddy. The door speakers had not worked until a few years ago, and upon swapping polarity today, found I had them both wired backwards. That cleaned up easy. Dash speakers seem fine, so that's nice. For some reason, the right rear speaker isn't going at all. The left rear speaker also has a muddy tone, but does not clear up with swapping polarity. With the system switched off, both sides do not show an open circuit according to my multimeter, but I'm wondering if one could inject power on both sides of the speaker and get some function? I have to look more at that one to verify that the RR+ is not actually also feeding the LR.

Hopefully this unnecessarily obtuse project comes to a conclusion soon.

Moving away from the radio topic, the craptastic patch job on the H-pipe has failed again (didn't expect magic there), a hanger broke away, and the mufflers sound like more rusty bits are ratting around inside... No more piecemeal jobs. Time to do this system right, and with improvements in mind. The only non-HO thing that hasn't been fitted have been headers. Seems like a great time to do that since I've ordered a Mustang down/H-pipe with the O2 bungs. Just need to order 2 Mark VII O2 sensors for the harness length. I'll have a shop take care of fabricating up the intermediate sections and possibly redoing the over-the-axle sections if they're not suitable. For mufflers, I'm thinking Magnaflows, but I've got to determine a type that's going to have a nice tone, but not cause drone.

My Cars:

Rechecked wiring out the back of the radio, yup, I managed to put the rear output feeds to a single speaker. Flip flopped the connection around and it makes considerably better sound on both sides.

It's definitely not as odd as the Electronic AM/FM model, but at least its reliable, and still looks right.

I have managed to retain aux support, but not in the "correct" way. After going over the schematics Gadget was kind enough to provide, I wasn't trusting myself to attempt to properly de-solder enough to separate the necessary components and get it back together again. I opted to sample an antenna feed inline FM adapter with adjustable gain. It works quite well and provides quality playback. It's on a switch and essentially kills any FM bands from passing through, save for the higher stations past 106.1 FM, and even those are static-y and faint. It locks strongly on 87.9 FM where I have the selector switch set (can opt for that frequency or 88.3), and if you tune off of that band, you just get dead air until you turn the adapter off.

I think I'll get another one of these adapters for my roommate's Town Car since he's been using one of those FM adapters you just plug into your phone, and it's pretty bad, especially while traveling and you start picking up conflicting bands. I cannot see that really being an issue with this device.

My Cars:

The analog radio looks good! I think I missed in the thread, where was that radio from?

2.) The radio doesn't like the heat. It'll work for a minute or two, and then it's out. Doesn't matter how much you fiddle with it, it won't go. Shame since it looks kinda neat, but I like my tunes, so I'll have to find a replacement.
    The analog stock radio in my 78 does the same thing during the hottest months of summer. FM takes a crap when it's super hot out but works fine for the rest of the year. AM seems to still work though.

Quote Originally Posted by slack View Post
    The analog radio looks good! I think I missed in the thread, where was that radio from?

The analog stock radio in my 78 does the same thing during the hottest months of summer. FM takes a crap when it's super hot out but works fine for the rest of the year. AM seems to still work though.
    Both the electronic and analog radios were eBay specials.

My Cars:

I've now got a pair of tempermental circa 1990 radios on my bench. The caps are visibly leaking in both. FM went out once the temperature warmed up some. Its just a thing that happens. I just put in the order for all the parts to overhaul both.

Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 25333435