PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Aunt's 2008 Saturn Vue

Member of the Orb Alliance packman's Avatar

So last Wednesday, I had to fish my Aunt out of Morris Plains. She told me that her Vue had the symptoms of a bad battery. So I was able to jump her Vue to get her back to her place. I went out and got a new battery and replaced the old one. Her Vue cranked and fired right up. All was good until I smelt something burning; which was the alternator. Long story short, after much running around, we got a new alternator. Spent most of the weekend replacing the alternator. On Saturday afternoon, I started by removing the front wheel to get at the pulley tensioner and the alternator pulley bolt from underneath. That took a good 15-20 minutes to get those items loose. Discovered later that I didn't need to do that. What I should have done is remove the airbox assembly to get access to the tensioner and alternator pulley bolt; it's easier that way. After doing that I removed the 2 side bolts on the alternator; disconnected the regulator wiring and the charge cable; then removed the alternator from the side of the engine. Removing the alternator and replacing it with the new unit took 4 hours; yes, it took me that long to figure out how to squeeze the old one out and cram the new alternator back into the engine compartment. What I learned is that I needed to remove the upper radiator hose and unbolt the radiator from its mounts. I did this to push the radiator forward so I could have a little more space to take out and put in the alternator. Otherwise, I would have to remove the engine mount like a lot of the YouTube vids suggested I do. Doing these things made it possible to remove the alternator without having to mess with the engine mounts.

With that said; when we attempted to fire up the Vue; it wouldn't start. Somebody hooked the battery back up after I disconnected it on Wednesday night. I think this drained the battery because the old alternator was shorting out. After going home and coming back with my car (borrowed the Explorer to bring all of the tools, jacks, and stuff), I tested the battery and jumped the Vue. It fired right up and ran good. After running it around the block, my Aunt said her door chime went off a bunch of times during that trip. She said it did this a couple years ago after she first got the Vue; and she shut the car off for a few minutes and restarted it; and the door chimes haven't gone off (whilst driving) since. I will look this up in the meanwhile to figure out what is going on. Otherwise, the Vue runs smooth and she no longer has a CEL. I managed to kill the front airbox bolt (the one that is at an angle) when I tried to put it back in. I will have to remove the headlight, drill those threads out, and stick a bolt and nut to hold the front of the airbox in place. So yeah, that was the weekend. Next time she's over, I will change her oil and see about getting the new rotors and pads installed.

Pics

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0979.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	142.1 KB 
ID:	56479 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0985.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	56480 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0983.jpg 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	56481 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0982.jpg 
Size:	112.1 KB 
ID:	56482 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0980.jpg 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	56483 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0984.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	73.5 KB 
ID:	56484

You are a nice nephew.

Why oh why must some jobs require that much work for a simple item?
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Member of the Orb Alliance packman's Avatar

Because some car manufacturers hate me. LOL

At least now I know how to change the oil in a much cleaner manner than I had been. The oil filter is in a really bad spot and angled 45* down. When I took that lower valance off, I had better access to the oil filter. I can get a hammer and punch in there instead of trashing my drills.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12