PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Prudence, my 87 Town Car

Good to know on the shocks. The instructions are all just pictograms, so not a lot of nuance there.

I'll give the plugs a look. They were done with the rotor, cap, and wires the summer before last, so if one's bad already I wouldn't be too happy. Although I've already replaced two wires from managing to break the metal connector off inside the boot when I pull them from the plugs. Presumably my technique is wrong and they're not meant to be that delicate. Everything feels like it's seated properly now, but I do worry that one isn't making contact behind one of the boots.

Back in the trans, shift points still happen at the right spot. I still have OD, which kicks in right around 38. The only weirdness with shifting is going into 2nd. Although there was also the slipping in 1st going up out of a parking garage, which I haven't experienced since but only because the circumstances haven't happened again.

Both u joints are brand new. The trans mount could well be shot, though. It's been marinating in some sort of leaked fluid for awhile now. I'd swap it out, but I can't find a replacement part anywhere and any junkyard mount is probably not much better at this point.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

I believe the Mustang mount is basically the same, but you have to use a grinder to egg out the holes in the crossmember or something. I'm pretty sure its been posted on here before with pics, I just don't happen to remember the specifics off the top of my head.

they're mostly toast by now, the fluid turns them into a jelly-like material and nothing holds solid. I had the same situation with the rack mount bushings on my Continental and the motor mounts on the Towncar. Original trans mount was completely wasted, but the crossmember was also rusted and by some miracle the crossmember I found laying on the ground in the junkyard had a nearly new mount on it so thats what went in the car and still lives there 15 years later. Oil leaks are bad for more than just messy floor reasons.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Yes, I picked up a Mustang mount and held it up to the car - the studs that go through the crossmember are inset maybe half an inch. Pretty strange that Ford would go through the trouble of making two different mounts that are nearly identical to each other. I don't have a die grinder, so I'll have to farm that job out to someone here on post.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789