PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trailer Wiring

Default Trailer Wiring

I'm getting a Class III hitch for my wagon for some small utility trailer work. Is there a plug in adapter for the trailer lights? I've looked at Curt 55326 but it says it is only for the Aero's. Alternatively, does anyone have part numbers or pictures of the factory tow package wiring? I added the factory tow package wiring to my 1993 F150 and it was pretty easy once I actually tracked down the parts. I'd really like to avoid splicing into the existing wires.

Thanks!

Nothing for the boxes. There's no intermediate plug in the trunk for the lights. It's splice in only. Probably the same on the wagons. Everything for a 4/5 wire setup should be on the driver side with the passenger side run from the driver side.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

2 decades of DDing Box Panthers, now in a Whale VicCrownVic's Avatar

For my '98 MGM I have something similar to that Hoppy (46255) unit: Tow Ready Modulite Protector 119179/119180. Haven't installed it yet, but I did make my own plug-n-play harness since there are convenient connectors on each side for the tail lights. Interestingly the later model MGMs have the combined brake/signal wiring while CVs of the same years have brake and signal separate. The same module I have is used in the plug-n-play kit available for CVs.

I don't have an '86 EVTM to say for sure if the '86 Country Squire is combined brake/signal or not, but there was a tow package available for boxes. From the '91 EVTM here is a picture of where the trailer wiring relays and main connector live.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 91_Wagon_trailer_wiring.jpg  
    Last edited by VicCrownVic; 03-25-2021 at 02:53 PM.
    Vic

~ 1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "The Scab" - plenty of rot, summer DD
    ~ 1997 GMC Yukon - wannabe winter DD - returning sometime in the 2020s, I finally have an engine
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis GS "The Ice Car" - Rotting Retired Winter DD
    ~ 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis GS - Rotting Retired DD
    Gone but not forgotten:
    ~ 1988 Country Squire ~ 1987 Ford Crown Vic

I made my own relay sets similar to that, but with basic link together relay harnesses, when I put the wiring into my cars. My 4 are for the left, right, stop, reverse though. No charge lead. If I put in a 7 wire, I'll just wire to the tow power directly for that.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Edit: this is just for the 4 pin connector, not a 7 pin. +1 regular relays can be used.

And a couple more diagrams from the '91 EVTM below.
    Since I have my '98 homemade plug-n-play harness sitting right next to me I can tell you that for '98 the wire colors are as follows:
    Orange/LightBlue = Right brake/signal
    LightGreen/Orange = Left brake/signal
    Brown = Running lights
    (Black is ground)
    According to the diagrams below for '91: '98 and '91 use the same wiring setup and colors. So, you might have the same colors and setup for your '86.
    What I would do is get the tail light connectors from two '98-'02 MGMs (aero or later whale might work too) NOT from a CV since the wiring is different. (Get the entire harness since it's easy and you will also then have wires to work with to make a plug-n-play harness.)
    One set of connectors (per side) would be to add into your existing tail light wiring making the tail lights easily disconnectable. The second set of connectors would be spliced together to feed a trailer module and connect between the first set of connectors.

Here's an illustration of what I'm trying to say:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 91_Turn_Stop_Hazard.jpg   91_Wagon_Turn_Stop_Hazard.jpg   Trailer_Wiring.png  
    Last edited by VicCrownVic; 03-25-2021 at 04:20 PM.
    Vic

~ 1997 GMC Yukon - wannabe winter DD - returning sometime in the 2020s, I finally have an engine
    Gone but not forgotten:

Nice. Definitely a good idea to add connectors. Helps with servicing stuff if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by VicCrownVic View Post
    For my '98 MGM I have .......... etc
    I had posted about that Hoppy 46255, but then I deleted it because wasn't sure of his brake and signals. I remembered a CVPI or two I had that used separate bulbs, but my Mercury uses same filament for both. I don't know that I'll tow with the Mercury again, but one never knows. I did buy a converter or isolator new opened in a box cheap to have on hand, though might use on my Gold Wing.

I did simply use relays for yellow left & green right signal / brake, and brown tail on my '77 pickup, all 3 draw power from the battery. Relays will light LEDs too if desired on a trailer. A 27 watt signal / brake bulb draws over 2 amps. Tails not as much, but adding marker lights adds up. I like a good size white ground wire too.

I do not like the blue squeeze connectors that break wire strands, open wires to corrosion, etc. Good twisted & soldered splices with 3M Supper 33 tape for me.
    Last edited by tbear853; 03-25-2021 at 11:31 PM.
    No ... I'm not arguing with you ... I'm just explaining why I'm right ...

Now go ... and whatever you do ... have a safe trip!

I saw that post, then noticed you retracted it. I decided to keep the mention of the Hoppy 46255 anyway. LOL
    Vic

Gone but not forgotten:

I always toss the vampire taps and splice properly myself. I use double wall shrink tube though (the self sealing kind).

"Vampire Taps" ... new one. I use shrink tube too if I don't forget to slip it on the wire first, then the good tape, maybe small zip tie. That 3M Super 33 tape is not cheap tape that unravels in a few years, pull it on with a stretch.
    No ... I'm not arguing with you ... I'm just explaining why I'm right ...

Now go ... and whatever you do ... have a safe trip!

+1 Vampire taps is is what I call them as well, and they don't belong on any vehicle I own or that I work on. Splice, solder, and insulate. For my adapter harness I wrapped it all up with friction tape from a junkyard harness that I grabbed. It matches the factory wiring that way.
    Vic

Gone but not forgotten:

fomoco panthers !

I have the NOS factory trailer lamp plug and wiring F0AB-15A416-AA . Two piece harness plus instructions. Still in original box. For sedan and wagon. It may be a partial harness. I will post it in the "For Sale" section.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

vampire taps are garbage. Wire failure waiting to happen. People use them on boats and boat trailers all the time, and it never works for long. Crimp terminals with heat shrink also works pretty well. They make terminals with it built in, but I usually go for the non-insulated ones and my own glue lined tube.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Donating Member

Those add a tap things are trash.

Does anyone know how those 2 factory trailer wiring harnesses from Maineman were integrated in? Were they just spliced into the non-trailer wiring or did the trailer package cars have their own special main body harness run back? My FSM and EVTM are not particularly helpful on that part.

Thanks!

fomoco panthers !

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2553.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	105.1 KB 
ID:	56036

Here is a photo of the instruction sheet I sent you. Maybe there are details there ?
    I think Gadget made a good comment in the For Sale ad. I noticed that the sold ad was removed. Maybe you can pm him ?
    Last edited by Mainemantom; 03-28-2021 at 07:41 PM.

C213 and C252 were present on tow package cars. Between these two connectors is where the harness to the relays plugged in. On non-tow package cars these connectors are not present (according to the 1991 EVTM).
    Unfortunately the stock harness is not going to be plug and play in a non-tow package car but some of the work is done already with that harness and all you should need is the make the connection(s).
    Vic

Gone but not forgotten:

Quote Originally Posted by Mainemantom View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2553.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	105.1 KB 
ID:	56036

Here is a photo of the instruction sheet I sent you. Maybe there are details there ?
    I think Gadget made a good comment in the For Sale ad. I noticed that the sold ad was removed. Maybe you can pm him ?
    This was Thains post:

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    The part with the yellow plug is for a brake controller under the dash. Other piece is what your light/brake connector wires to. It runs from the bank of relays to outside the car.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

I think its missing the middle section that has the relay bank. No idea if that was available as an add-on but the two connectors tie into the relay stuff. It wouldn't be terribly hard to DIY it honestly. Just need to refer to the EVTM to copy it. There is a power feed to the relays, and I think a second one that is used for trailer batt charging. If you are only using a 4 wire connector, you don't need to run the stuff up front for a brake controller. At that point its just power in to the relays, signal wires to the relays that tap out of the stock tail light stuff, and output from the relays to the trailer connector.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

fomoco panthers !

It may be possible to have Ford give you the part number for the section needed. Who knows the part might be around.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast