PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!

Thread: My '08 BMW 530d Touring, "Femma"

Default My '08 BMW 530d Touring, "Femma"

Well, I found myself pretty much exactly what I wanted.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210502_153647.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	181.8 KB 
ID:	56227 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210502_153619.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	185.3 KB 
ID:	56228 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210502_153743.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	118.4 KB 
ID:	56229

It's just perfect for me, amazing to drive, sporty but still veeeerry comfortable and quiet. A sedan would've looked cooler, but a wagon is way more practical and still looks pretty badass. The thing really moves with so much torque and is as stable as can be even at 200 km/h. Too bad we don't have autobahns in Finland. Even going 20-30 over the 120km/h highway limit, it still gets 5l/100km / 47 MPG.

Here's the overview:
    - 3 liter inline-6 turbodiesel, a very healthy 235hp and 500Nm (370 ft lb), engine code M57, widely regarded as the best diesel BMW has made. This one has a barely broken-in 227k kilometers on the odo.
    - Swirl flaps and DPF has been deleted, which makes the powertrain pretty bulletproof. The emptied DPF also makes the car sound a bit rowdier than stock. Variable vane turbos make cool noises.
    - It's pretty well-optioned, it's got the rather heavenly billion way adjustable Comfort seats, panoramic sunroof, bi-xenon headlights and a whole bunch of other nice quality of life options. No cupholders tho...
    - It's got a GSM-controlled Webasto, which is a diesel-powered pre-heater, I'll still get a regular block heater installed though.

There are a couple odds and ends to make it minty. I did a thorough interior clean and still need to condition the leather seats. Key remote range is a bit short, side indicators are awfully faded and I really need a phone mount. Trailer hitch is aftermarket and the plug pushes a bit against the bumper, I'll see what I can do about that.

I don't really have any modding plans for now, I might get it remapped at some point, a good remap gets these just north of 300hp and up to 700nm of torque. I'd get the EGR deleted at the same time too. Maybe black out all the chrome and buy another set of wheels. Nothing that I really want to get done right now.

Please refrain from making any idiotical BMW reliability comments, this is not a damn Toyota and as such requires proper maintenance. In exchange a BMW gives it's owner sublime comfort and driving characteristics, and not a single damn japanese car of the same vintage comes even close to this level of refinement.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20210501_110047.jpg  
    Last edited by Arquemann; 05-02-2021 at 01:00 PM. Reason: typos
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
    2008 BMW 530d Touring, "Femma"

Nice wagon. Super practical.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Quote Originally Posted by Arquemann View Post
    Please refrain from making any idiotical BMW reliability comments, this is not a damn Toyota and as such requires proper maintenance. In exchange a BMW gives it's owner sublime comfort and driving characteristics, and not a single damn japanese car of the same vintage comes even close to this level of refinement.
    Well, you got the BMW owner's attitude quite fast, that's the spirit!

Quote Originally Posted by Arquemann View Post
    side indicators are awfully faded
    Oh, no worries, this is a BMW, you are not gonna use them anyway lol

Jokes aside, seems to be a pretty decent one. Hope it will be less of a pain-in-the-ass than the 850.

Quote Originally Posted by bnw View Post
    Well, you got the BMW owner's attitude quite fast, that's the spirit!
    So far I'm still capable of using the turn signals, I guess I'm not completely lost yet But the thing is really a blast to drive, so absolutely no wonder why folks drive them aggressively.

Naturally it's going to need maintenance and something will probably break at some point. Just being realistic, it's a used car anyways. I feel like BMWs get a worse reputation in the USA, being an "overly" complicated foreign luxury car. Parts seem to be more expensive there too.

One excellent thing on this vs. the Volvo is the total lack of rust. Zinc-treated body and generally being a well-maintained and rustproofed car is going to save me so many swear words.
    Last edited by Arquemann; 05-02-2021 at 01:29 PM.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

If the M21 in my Conti ever goes, the M57 is what I considered as a replacement. Or possibly it's precessor, the M51.

Nice car tho

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Gotta say, the wagon vibes are good on this one. I think you got a winner here.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

fomoco panthers !

Sharp looking wagon. I don't think that model wagon was imported to the US. Wishing you the best with it. Looks well cared for.

God, I wish wagons were still sold in the US.
    —John

1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019)
    1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
    1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggie View Post
    Gotta say, the wagon vibes are good on this one. I think you got a winner here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainemantom View Post
    Sharp looking wagon. I don't think that model wagon was imported to the US. Wishing you the best with it. Looks well cared for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Giraffe View Post
    God, I wish wagons were still sold in the US.
    Thanks for the kind words!

Wagons are still doing okay in Finland, but crossover SUVs are getting more and more the norm here too. Atleast some Finns realize that most European market crossovers are just fat hatchbacks and are none the bigger where it counts. And what's really stupid is the constant push for more fuel-efficient powertrains, where a hatchback with the same interior space gets better mileage and are way more engaging to drive.
    The "simulated ruggedness" on crossovers is a damn illness and many of those FWD crossover have no more business off-road than this wagon.

Despite what you might think of this car's status, this is a really regular car in Finland, a family car for the upper middle class or for those who need practicality, but enjoy driving. Wagons rule!

Wagons are still sold here... they're just tall and called SUVs.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

You are missing an important point: the Western societies are getting older and older, and this is why crossovers and SUVs prevail. They are easier to access than sedans or wagons, and that becomes increasingly important when the driver and his special someone get older... Besides, the SUV does not cry "about to got kicked by the midlife crisis" as much as a minivan does... or maybe already does it.
    And an FWD SUV handles better in "normal" traffic conditions experienced by people of a certain age than a wagon with RWD

True, crossovers are easier to access and so on, that's why they were first popular with old folks, but now the boom of "active lifestyle" crossover bullshit is taking over and taking in folks that would've been better off in a hatchback or wagon.

I feel like americans are trading their minivans for large suvs in fear of being uncool, where as in Finland people buy small crossovers instead of wagons since theyre easier to access and just "why not". Minivans (of more than 5 seats) aren't very common in Finland.

Most crossovers are just as boring and lifeless to drive as their equivalent hatchbacks and wagons. I think we can all agree that there are way more fun and interesting wagons and hatches than there are crossovers. A crossover is harder to make fun and engaging to drive. If someone bought a Rav4 for it's practicality, they never even looked at a 5-series BMW, even if it's more spacious and as fuel-efficient. Cheaper car manufacturers don't care about making fun cars or crossovers.

Only Mercedes and BMW make RWD passenger cars really anymore. And even BMW has gone RWD in their new 1 and 2 series. (Yeah yeah Lexus but those aren't very common in Finland)

I don't hate crossovers, I just don't like the useless crossovers that are just fat hatchbacks so you don't have to put your achy arse so low to the ground. I probably would've bought an X5, since it's an actually somewhat capable 4x4 and is almost the size of a 5-series inside. But since it's a huge car, it consumes too much fuel to justify "just wanting an suv".

To summarize: i don't like that people that buy a crossover and can't give any other reason to buying one other than getting in and out easier (old folks and cripples excluded). And definitely stupid if the crossover is fwd. Just buy a hatchback, same thing, better mileage, easier to park.

If I had to choose a do-it-all car for all my use, I'd say it'd be an X5 or some large Mercedes SUV, since those are actually multipurpose, practical vehicles and not fat hatchbacks with plastic wheelarches.

This car has developed a small rattle, and out of all places imaginable, it's the damn INDICATOR STALK...