PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mufflers are you using.

Default Mufflers are you using.

Which mufflers are you using?
    Do you like them?

I have 2.5" offset offset magnaflows. I purchased them used from a mustang guy. I imagine they were for a mustang. I like it. It is not too loud.

Another video here of driving and such: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huLP...e=emb_imp_woyt
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

I have magnaflow offset/offset glasspacks as well. Thrush turbo welded glasspacks I think are the less expensive brand version of magnaflows.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

On my MGM, single 2 1/4" exhaust no muffler just the stock cats. Still was fairly quiet with a pleasant volume level.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

Magnaflow they are. Drone terribly they do. Oddly phrased your title is. Annoyingly written my response must be.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Yes... yours done horribly. Mine don't drone at all. I was shocked how bad yours drone.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    Magnaflow they are. Drone terribly they do. Oddly phrased your title is. Annoyingly written my response must be.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

I've run drone masters, they drone. Just don't.

I currently have 2.5" summit "turbo" mufflers on the wagon. I think they sound great, but my compression is lil higher...

IMO firing order is the biggest gain for a sweet exhaust note. 302 sounds like a tractor. HO/351 sounds mean.

Member of the Orb Alliance packman's Avatar

Depends on what you want. I like the Dynomax Super Turbos because I like quiet exhaust systems nowadays. I'm running cats and 3" Dynomax 17792 mufflers on my 351W; but I haven't started that engine yet; so I have no critique of how they sound. I was running Dynomax 17749 muffs with the lopo; behind a full exhaust. They were very quiet.

I'm running Borla XS on my cars.
    I don't like to draw attention with the sound at WOT. They do get a little louder when you open it up, but not enough to draw the police from a mile away.
    They do well and have no horsepower loss. They actually have a slight gain in horsepower.

Almost always if not stock, some turbo mufflers.
    Once bought a truck that had a FM 3SI/2.5DO, drone was bad at some speeds, a glasspack ahead of it helped.
    No ... I'm not arguing with you ... I'm just explaining why I'm right ...

Now go ... and whatever you do ... have a safe trip!

I'm currently running some Flowmaster delta flows that I got for free on a custom bent 2" system with the two rear cats removed. It sounds good for what it is.

When I put on a new exhaust, it will consist of BBK headers, Pypes X-pipe with high-flow cats, and Walker QuietFlowSS 2.5" mufflers with Impala tailpipes. I have a good feeling about how that will sound.
    —John

1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019)
    1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
    1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Member of the Orb Alliance packman's Avatar

^^^^^^^^That will be quiet; basically the same setup I had with the lopo; except I had Summit turbos at first; then Dynomax 17749 muffs when they failed. It was quiet with the Summit turbos; so much that my Mom hated it; which is why I had to put cutouts on that exhaust.^^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by packman View Post
    ^^^^^^^^That will be quiet; basically the same setup I had with the lopo; except I had Summit turbos at first; then Dynomax 17749 muffs when they failed. It was quiet with the Summit turbos; so much that my Mom hated it; which is why I had to put cutouts on that exhaust.^^^^^^^^
    I've mellowed out a lot and actually want a quieter car, but still with a bit of rumble. The new exhaust will also coincide with the new engine I'm having freshened up for it: 302 block, GT40 (non-P) heads, and a camshaft comparable to a '93-'95 Cobra. It'll essentially be a Cobra engine.
    —John

1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019)
    1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
    1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post
    Yes... yours done horribly. Mine don't drone at all. I was shocked how bad yours drone.
    pretty sure its the Fox H pipe. Fox cars are really prone to drone issues if things are not exactly so. The black Mark VII droned pretty badly too. Whenever that thing needs exhaust work again, or whenever I feel motivated to drive it more, I'll have stock-style exhaust made up for it. Probably a little larger than factory but using the Panther routing and such. I strongly suspect that will make the problem go away.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

I suspect your right since my exhaust is pretty much the same but with the panther h-pipe.

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    That was fantastic. I had a rough day at work and that made me laugh so hard I forgot all about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Told ya everything I know when I said hello P72Ford's Avatar

Magnaflow 2.5" offset on my 4.6 with no downstream cats. It is a custom bent 2.5" cat back with a crossover.

I hate it, the drone makes the car really annoying to drive on the highway. When I have some time I am going to cut them out and replace with something quieter.
    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 17K Cruiser
    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, 76K Daily Driver
    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 7K Poseur HD Rider
    **2014 Ram 1500 QCSB Express: 4WD Hemi/ 8spd TF/ 3L21/ Exhaust/ Cosmetics, 39K Truck Duties

Magnaflows. No H pipe. No drone.
    I like them enough I put them on my other vehicles when they need it.
    All FORD All The Time

351W & F.A.S.T equipped

I had flowmaster knock-offs on the coupe, but I switched to Flowmaster original 40’s(no delta flow bullcrap). There was a very subtle difference,

FWIW, Flowmaster 40’s of any variety need to have no cats upstream and at least a little cam to sound good. Once those criteria are met, it’s like the song of my people, otherwise they blow goats.

I’ve done glass packs in the past, dumped before the rear axle...that’s a bit rowdy. Also have done glass packs bolted directly to collectors of LT headers....that was like turning it to 10 and ripping the damn knob off. Dynomax super-turbos dumped in front of the rear wasn’t too bad, would’ve been better with tailpipes, but I like to party. The ABSOLUTE WORST was my buddy’s old ‘72 Maverick Grabber- LT headers, 2.5” pipes, Moroso spiral flow “mufflers” side-exiting with 3.5” slash cut tips. Sounded great, but on a cruise, you’d nearly go deaf.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast