PDA

View Full Version : {CARB-SWAP}2 days, two toasted duraspark boxes..

Grand Marquis GT
02-21-2005, 03:06 AM
Yep, I belive I just toasted the second one.

I am running:
1984 ford E150 Van 302 2bbl duraspark distributor.
1984 Mustang GT 4bbl Duraspark box

I was told by someone (TommN I belive) that the spark curve is different for the two. Maybe hes right?

I will get a van module otmmarow, and see how it works..

GMGT

grandpaslincoln
02-21-2005, 03:19 AM
:cuss:

Mercracer
02-21-2005, 06:35 AM
You have the wrong distributor, but it has nothing to do with the spark curve. The spark curve is dictated by the weights and springs in the distributor. If you walk up to the friendly librarian at your local parts counter and ask for a module and distributor for a Mustang GT with a 5.0 HO carb motor (except 1985) and you ask for a module and distributor for a E150 with a 302 2V, they will bring you 2 of the same distributors and modules.
There is no difference in the parts listings. A "blue" module is a "blue" module.
There are only 2 different 302 Duraspark II distributor listings. One for a 1985 HO motor with a steel gear (roller cam), and one for all other 302 Duraspark II applications.
You need the distributor for the 1985 Mustang GT with the steel gear for your GM or you are going to destroy your distributor gear.

RugerP97DC
02-21-2005, 07:05 AM
Get the MSD 5 like I said!!! If you use teh same dis later, no prob!
Of you use a dif dis get the 6 AL!

Fuck bro, get anything but stock shit!!!

Please?

Don'tmake me come over there!!!!!! :cop:

phayzer5
02-21-2005, 07:12 AM
they will bring you 2 of the same distributors and modules
A "blue" module is a "blue" module

Exactly what I've been telling him. He was also tellin me something about the distributor wires being different colors than what I have and every other picture i can come across.

He has an 84, so its non-roller and the steel gear you recommend will be doing the damage ;) Advance dist. Cardone part # 302899 click here for image (http://www.phayzer5.net/images/articles/carbswap/durasparkdist.jpg) is what it should be.

My parts were for a 4bbl '83 stang GT, and I'm on the original module. I must have done something right :D

Paul_
02-21-2005, 09:48 AM
that sux

Mercracer
02-21-2005, 09:59 AM
He has an 84, so its non-roller and the steel gear you recommend will be doing the damage

Ooops....I shouldn't post before 6:00AM. I forgot that we were talking about an 84.
Let's try this again..........
Tom has the correct distributor and box for his application. A "Blue" box is a "Blue" box. It is either defective parts or operator error with the installation if you are cooking new boxes.
What color are the distributor wires? It is hard to tell from the posted pic.

Mercracer
02-21-2005, 10:01 AM
Get the MSD 5 like I said!!! If you use teh same dis later, no prob!
Of you use a dif dis get the 6 AL!

You can use the Duraspark distributor with a 6AL or Digital 6 also.

Mercracer
02-21-2005, 10:03 AM
The other thing that I am wondering about is what the difference in primary resistance between your square coil and a canister coil that would have come with a Duraspark system. I don't know if the difference would heat up and cook your box or not.

Grand Marquis GT
02-21-2005, 02:08 PM
:nonono:

FYI: I have 3 wire from the dist...a black, black with purple stripe, and a black with red stripe...

phayzer5
02-21-2005, 02:41 PM
I run an MSD blaster TFI coil on my duraspark box just fine. Plenty of people run TFI coils with duraspark boxes, especially offroaders cause its a sealed design and can be mounted any way they need, including upside down

Mercracer
02-21-2005, 03:39 PM
FYI: I have 3 wire from the dist...a black, black with purple stripe, and a black with red stripe...

My personal interpretation in comparison to the more common color code without looking up a diagram,

black =black
black/purple = purple
black/red = orange

I will pull out all of my older schematics later once I get home.

Grand Marquis GT
02-21-2005, 03:44 PM
Yeah dude, thts how I interpreted it, and how it is wired...

TommyN
02-22-2005, 01:36 AM
Here is a link to wiring a duraspark box:

http://www.carbdford.com/viewtopic.php?t=5894

I believe the van distributor will have a different spark curve in the distributor than a Mustang distributor. Here is a link on how to recurve a duraspark:

http://www.carbdford.com/viewtopic.php?t=5543

Good luck fixing it.

Tom

Mercracer
02-22-2005, 10:27 AM
Here is a link on how to recurve a duraspark:
http://www.carbdford.com/viewtopic.php?t=5543

Good info for once the bugs are worked out.

roastdawgg
02-22-2005, 05:24 PM
see when i replaced my duraspark II box the last 2 times i bought the same color grommet as the one i pulled off that was on it when i bought it. I have a brown grommet.

could this be causing any or all of the problems i experience?

Mercracer
02-22-2005, 08:00 PM
see when i replaced my duraspark II box the last 2 times i bought the same color grommet as the one i pulled off that was on it when i bought it. I have a brown grommet.

could this be causing any or all of the problems i experience?

Brown is for EEC III if I remember correctly. Early CFI.