PDA

View Full Version : {brakes} line lock install

83countrysquire
04-06-2006, 03:41 PM
but i m looking to install line lock in my cs how do i do it and where are the brake lines to do it is there multiple or one and i also want to install a hand brake in my car can i r route the foot brake to be a hand brake

Blaze86Vic
04-06-2006, 07:18 PM
Depends on how you want it to work. Do you want to press the brake then press the line lock and have it hold the front brakes while your foot is off the brake? Or do you want to press the line lock first and be able to press the brakes multiple times while it blocks off the rear brakes?

In situation one :
Pros; no bake lights while in use (more cool I guess), frees both feet for use
Cons; to let off and re-aply the brakes causes the rear brakes to apply, if it shorts out and closes while driving you just lost over 70% of your braking force.

In situation two:
Pros; can re-aply front brakes independant of the rear, if it shorts out you only lose a small percentage of your braking force.
Cons; requires the use of both feet to do a burnout, and brake lights will be on while the brakes are applied (less cool I guess)

I have it mounted in situation two style. I love it, one really nice thing I can do is easily do a rolling burnout, or do donuts and then return to a stationary burnout without applying the rear brakes. It is also very easy to mount and install. If you are good with making the double flares you will not even need new brake line. You can use the existing line without having to relocate it or even bend it. I replaced one piece on mine, but only because as I pulled it off it started to leak through a rust spot on it. Directly under the driver side behind the wheel in the corner of the frame is the perfect mounting spot.

Here are some pics of where I have it installed.

http://www.grandmarq.net/blaze/Blaze_Pics/LL1.JPG
http://www.grandmarq.net/blaze/Blaze_Pics/LL2.JPG

Blaze86Vic
04-06-2006, 07:20 PM
BTW, if you would like I think this should be renamed something like Line Lock isntall info. And it should be stickied and archived eventualy.

grandpaslincoln
04-06-2006, 07:23 PM
I'm gonna go with option 2 when I do mine, just seems cooler to me lol

83countrysquire
04-06-2006, 09:17 PM
blaze vic what size brake line did you use 3/8

83tc
04-06-2006, 09:22 PM
Depends on how you want it to work. Do you want to press the brake then press the line lock and have it hold the front brakes while your foot is off the brake? Or do you want to press the line lock first and be able to press the brakes multiple times while it blocks off the rear brakes?

In situation one :
Pros; no bake lights while in use (more cool I guess), frees both feet for use
Cons; to let off and re-aply the brakes causes the rear brakes to apply, if it shorts out and closes while driving you just lost over 70% of your braking force.

In situation two:
Pros; can re-aply front brakes independant of the rear, if it shorts out you only lose a small percentage of your braking force.
Cons; requires the use of both feet to do a burnout, and brake lights will be on while the brakes are applied (less cool I guess)

I have it mounted in situation two style. I love it, one really nice thing I can do is easily do a rolling burnout, or do donuts and then return to a stationary burnout without applying the rear brakes. It is also very easy to mount and install. If you are good with making the double flares you will not even need new brake line. You can use the existing line without having to relocate it or even bend it. I replaced one piece on mine, but only because as I pulled it off it started to leak through a rust spot on it. Directly under the driver side behind the wheel in the corner of the frame is the perfect mounting spot.

Here are some pics of where I have it installed.

http://www.grandmarq.net/blaze/Blaze_Pics/LL1.JPG
http://www.grandmarq.net/blaze/Blaze_Pics/LL2.JPG
anyone else see the bondo on his floorpan in this pic??....install info, i need details, like exact instal instructions

gadget73
04-06-2006, 09:22 PM
I think the stock size to the back is 5/16 or 1/4. Not sure offhand.

gadget73
04-06-2006, 09:28 PM
I don't see bondo. Not much for the install really. Whack the line in half, flare it like you're putting in a connector, and thread it into the line lock instead. Might need to trim the line slightly to make it fit all purdy like. Wiring goes to a switched 12v source.

grandpaslincoln
04-06-2006, 09:57 PM
I don't see any bondo either

Blaze86Vic
04-06-2006, 11:03 PM
Deffinitly no bondo, where do you think you see bondo? As was said, very simple to install. Cut, install thread fittings, then flare, then bolt it up. I drilled a small hole in one of the floor drain plugs and fed the wires through there. Made it a small hole so that it still seals.

Mercracer
04-07-2006, 07:15 AM
install info, i need details, like exact instal instructions

If you buy a quality kit like the Hurst kit, it comes with exact instructions for a conventional front brake installation. If you are installing it in-line to the rear like Blaze did, it is a no-brainer. You just need a double flare tool and fresh brake line if your lines are weak.

Mercracer
04-07-2006, 07:23 AM

With a quality switch and a competent installation, there is almost no chance of shorting and applying since the solenoid fails open (needs current to apply).

Blaze86Vic
04-07-2006, 07:41 AM
With a quality switch and a competent installation, there is almost no chance of shorting and applying since the solenoid fails open (needs current to apply).

And with a competent install and quality parts a plane will almost never fail....so I guess we don't need parachutes then do we? No matter how much time and quality parts you put into something, there is always a chance it can fail.

Grand Marquis GT
04-07-2006, 07:54 AM
And with a competent install and quality parts a plane will almost never fail....so I guess we don't need parachutes then do we? No matter how much time and quality parts you put into something, there is always a chance it can fail.

Have to say, he's got a point!!!!

Chevyguy
04-10-2006, 11:32 PM
All the line locks I have seen are mounted up near the master cyl. It's more prone to damage/corrosion where you mounted yours.

The biggest advantage to running the line lock on the front brakes is to hold the car at the starting line at the strip. Load up the converter and push the button when the last yellow light goes on WEEEE.

The line lock solenoid eventually fails mechanically and leaks IIRC

grandpaslincoln
04-10-2006, 11:34 PM
Some are rebuildable with kits on summits website IIRC

Archangel
04-10-2006, 11:58 PM
All the line locks I have seen are mounted up near the master cyl. It's more prone to damage/corrosion where you mounted yours.

I was wondering about that actually, if you're in a place that uses lots of salt on the road and you drive the car in the winter that solenoid is just gonna take unnecessary abuse.

The biggest advantage to running the line lock on the front brakes is to hold the car at the starting line at the strip. Load up the converter and push the button when the last yellow light goes on WEEEE.
Uhm, and how is that different from locking off the rear brakes and holding the car with the left foot on the brakes while revving up the engine with the right foot on the gas? After the fun of having to stop a fully loaded 18-wheeler with the trailer brakes only I'd never even consider restricting the front brakes of any vehicle in now way.

phayzer5
04-11-2006, 05:36 AM
One less thing to worry about when racing in a quick car....

83tc
04-11-2006, 09:45 PM
http://www.grandmarq.net/blaze/Blaze_Pics/LL2.JPG upper riht corner, i see flaking paint(?)and underneath that tell tale bondo color, not to mention the visible seam around the area as well, patch panel?, or is it just the fact paint peeking through and a odd shaped floorpan?, cause mines all smooth

grandpaslincoln
04-11-2006, 09:47 PM
looks like a heat shield

Blaze86Vic
04-12-2006, 12:13 AM
Still not sure what you are pointing at, but there is 0 floor pan rust (except the very faint surface rust), or damage. Dirty, but not rust or repairs. The cracked looking stuff at the top is dried up dirt.

grandpaslincoln
04-12-2006, 12:16 AM

I think he is talking about this

Blaze86Vic
04-12-2006, 12:26 AM
OHHHHH!! That is a giant fiberglass insulating mat. It goes from the half way up the firewall and all the way over to the passanger side as well.

Chevyguy
04-12-2006, 09:16 AM
I was wondering about that actually, if you're in a place that uses lots of salt on the road and you drive the car in the winter that solenoid is just gonna take unnecessary abuse.

Uhm, and how is that different from locking off the rear brakes and holding the car with the left foot on the brakes while revving up the engine with the right foot on the gas? After the fun of having to stop a fully loaded 18-wheeler with the trailer brakes only I'd never even consider restricting the front brakes of any vehicle in now way.

What if you have a Stick?? that may need one extra foot!!

Also in said quick auto cars often have a transbrake, load up the converter on the transbrake as some fast cars will simply not be held back by the brakes. Line lock on to keep you from rolling past the line and redlighting

Blaze86Vic
04-12-2006, 11:38 AM
Yeah, that is why one of the pros of front line blocking is the extra foot being free. Yes, once you reach a sick point, rear tires can slide the front right over the line. But that is also usually not a daily driver, so installing it on the front would not bother me.

Mercracer
04-12-2006, 02:38 PM

You do realize what it would take for a good switch to spontaneously engage, right? You have better odds of winning the Miss America Pageant...... twice.

When was the last time your headlights turned on by themselves with the switch totally off while you were sleeping?

Blaze86Vic
04-12-2006, 03:08 PM
You do realize what it would take for a good switch to spontaneously engage, right? You have better odds of winning the Miss America Pageant...... twice.

When was the last time your headlights turned on by themselves with the switch totally off while you were sleeping?

When is the last time you got on a plain and it crashed? You are an idiot if you are going to try and argue this point with me. Everything is in perspective. Yeah, it's not likely, but neither is the plain falling out of the sky. But you still take the safety precautions just in case it does. SO, in the unlikely event the godly switch fails and shorts, I would prefer that it block of my rear instead of my front brakes.

If you even post a reply to this in which you continue to argue this, trust me when I say this. You will look the fool. There is no argument here, your stance is that because something is unlikely to happen that you should go ahead and believe that it never will....like the Twin Towers falling from plains flying into it.

phayzer5
04-12-2006, 03:51 PM
You should play the lottery...