Forum software updated to VBulletin 4.1.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    It will take some time but we will all get used to it. Just keep an open mind.
    yeah take time to use to it.
    1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - Current - June 2016 POTM Winner
    1996 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - SOLD
    1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - SOLD
    1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 2dr - Long gone

Comment

Looking decent so far, and I don't mind the default colors, and offhand my junk seems to work, though I do also notice the weird formatting when viewing private messages. I'm sure that'll be a relatively easy fix.

Helps that Bikeforums.net forced me to get used to the different clicky-button locations, though I think the "Quick Navigation" pulldown just above the quick reply box is new to me. Looks quite handy.

So what are the primary benefits of this install? Not bashing at all, just curious.
      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Hi

Good grief this software is some fucked up shit, I see you have the continual logging out problem everyone else has.

Regards

Dereck
        Last edited by Dereck; 01-28-2011, 03:03 PM.
        President and founder of The Turbine Wheel Appreciation Society and Little Debbie Cake Connoissuer

Also "The Pondside Pain In Your Posterior"

Comment

the old vb was no longer supported.
          1988 MGM GS - Preferred Equipment Package 172A; InstaClear

1980 Lincoln Continental Coupe
          1994 MGM GS Montigua
          2005 F150 Lariat Scab 4x4 3.73 LS
          2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

And it was beginning to sag.

Pete
            Originally posted by gadget73
            For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
            1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
            1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

This new layout is seriously hurting my eyes. Glad I don't spend much time reading on here, I would get a headache every time with this layout. Seems more like a Software Downgrade to me. :no:

Comment

we had no other choice.......give gadget a break, he worked hard on this install , and he works a full time job with lots of overtime too.
                i'm sure we will get some different skins and get it all worked out soon

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                  Underneath the Chat, Store and Gallery you will see "Forum" and "What's New?"

While in "Forum" you will see directly underneath it "New Posts," "Private Messages," etc...
                  Locating is not the issue. My browser freezes when I try to access my Inbox. Farthest I've gotten was some error across the top of the GMN banner and then I couldn't do anything.

sigpic
                  - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

Comment

to everyone who doesnt like the new style, just be patient guys. things went really well, believe it or not. at least the forum is up with all our info retained. it takes work to do this..

1994 MGM GS Montigua
                    2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

PM issue should be resolved. It was another plugin that had been added to the old version causing issues. If it is not resolved, please let me know exactly what happens, as well as what browser you're using. Its working properly for me with Firefox 3.6.

If there are any specific issues, please let me know. Not to sound too much like a sandy vagina here, but just saying "this sucks, stuff is broken" is not helpful. If you have specific problems, I need to know how to duplicate it so it can be looked into. I am not a mind reader, and I'll admit to not having checked every little thing. The fact that the whole thing didn't completely shit itself was good enough for me last night after watching it rebuild search indexes and stuff for a couple of hours.

There will be bugs. We had bugs before, some of which couldn't be located. Its just a matter of dealing with different bugs. Already I've noticed 2 bugs that I couldn't fix before that aren't there anymore. Not sure if anyone else noticed, but the front page actually works correctly now. It shows you logged in when it should. The registration emails also send themselves now instead of forcing one of us to manually fix people's member status because the auto email function was screwed up.
                      Last edited by gadget73; 01-28-2011, 05:48 PM.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

thats nice the front page shows you logged in now when it should. i got used to that a long time ago it seems like.

1994 MGM GS Montigua
                        2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                          If possible, add the old generic view. I dont like this one. Haha

i agree i like the old one better. when did vbulletin become paid forums. back a couple of years ago they were free. I use mybb becuase it's free and it's a little better than vbulletin. but i can live like this i guess lol.

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
                          -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
                          1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

looking better and better each time i bring up gmn , good work mang!
                            89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                              The fact that the whole thing didn't completely shit itself was good enough for me last night after watching it rebuild search indexes and stuff for a couple of hours.
                              I liked the comment last night to the effect of "Hopefully it will not all end horribly."

One other thing that ought to be way easy would be a link to the /vb/usercp.php. That's actually what I have bookmarked instead of the "main" pages because it's handier and doesn't show subscribed threads that haven't been updated by someone else since I checked them.

And I did have a certain affection for the skins of the old system that let us search for tags from the regular search pulldown. But hardly a big deal.

The haters all need to go try to revive the Box section on CVN if you find new stuff such an inconvenience.
                              2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by MattsGrandMarquis View Post
                                i agree i like the old one better. when did vbulletin become paid forums. back a couple of years ago they were free. I use mybb becuase it's free and it's a little better than vbulletin. but i can live like this i guess lol.
                                Its always been paid software as far as I know, at least as far back as version 2.x. The single biggest reason I like vb is that it doesn't have the history of scary security issues that many other forum softwares have. Mind you its been a while since I did a lot of looking into this stuff, but at one time I was a sysadmin for a web hosting company. Constantly we had to deal with customer installs of forum software getting hacked and used to spam or whatever. It was a royal pain in the ass, but never once do I recall having to shut down a vb forum for that problem.

Also, I kinda like sticking to vb because its what we already have. Data imports from version to version without much hassle. Going to totally different software often has a lot of problems, and with as many posts as we have, I really don't want to risk dumping the whole thing and starting over again from scratch. I've seen that happen on other forums, and its not pretty.
                                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                                X